Factory Lane Sidings - Minimum space 0 Gauge Layout

alant

After making a few posts into various topics on here, I thought I had better finally get around to posting a few details about my own layout. There seems to be quite an interest in minimum space 0 Gauge at the moment which I am sure is as a result of the ever increasing ready to run offerings from the trade. Hopefully my layout will be of interest.

Factory Lane Sidings is basically a shunting layout and is an imaginary goods yard somewhere on the Notts/Derbys borders. Time period is loosely around the mid 1950's to early 1960's. The overall size is 11ft 6ins x 28ins (including fiddle yard).

Trackwork is all Peco including the points. I have previously built some Marcway point kits but was not confident enough to try C&L etc. I think when painted and ballasted Peco track can look reasonably OK. The stock is all kit built from the usual kit suppliers. All stock is fitted with the Lincs Autocouplers which are soon to be re-introduced to the market - see www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/50279-o-gauge-auto-couplings/

Buildings are scratchbuilt using a mixture of plasticard on a core of foam board along with card, paper etc as required. I am not a rivet counter or purist but try to create an overall impression. As a result I am sure there are many errors that experts will see.

post-9443-0-47730000-1353257438_thumb.jpg

post-9443-0-73298500-1353257337_thumb.jpg

post-9443-0-32830000-1353257407_thumb.jpg

post-9443-0-60947900-1353257475_thumb.jpg

post-9443-0-19484200-1353257502_thumb.jpg

Plan of layout:

post-9443-0-86266900-1353257274.jpg

Very nice work Alan, the photo's are great and certainly show the atmosphere that you have created in your layout. Also you have used the space available very well indeed as it looks a lot larger than it is.

nice one, top quality work...

Pete

alant, very nice! What is the length of the portion shown in the trackplan and photos - it appears to be about 6'?

Length of scenic area is 8 feet (2 x 4 foot boards). The original design was to view the layout from the other side and so the "headshunt" would be on the viewable side. But after I had laid the track it didn't really work so changed things to be viewable from the other side.

Alan.

very nice work. have you got any closer pics of the goods shed and the left side of the layout? would love to see some more. :)

Hi Fender,

Thanks, I will try and get a few more shots posted, my camera is not the best in the world but will see what I can do over the next week or so.

Alan.

Nice pictures - just to say your Peco track looks very good in my eyes - as you say when painted/ballasted properly etc - I have recently thought should I use others for extra realism C&L?, or Marcway etc and while I can't rule out a Marcway 3 way point the rest on my layout which I am planning is going to be Peco especially after looking at your pictures! It's a shame Peco wouldn't do a 3 way point actually as that would surely be popular - not only on layouts but at the entrance to fiddle yards.

Nice pictures - just to say your Peco track looks very good in my eyes - as you say when painted/ballasted properly etc - I have recently thought should I use others for extra realism C&L?, or Marcway etc and while I can't rule out a Marcway 3 way point the rest on my layout which I am planning is going to be Peco especially after looking at your pictures! It's a shame Peco wouldn't do a 3 way point actually as that would surely be popular - not only on layouts but at the entrance to fiddle yards.

Yes I agree, would be good if Peco had a 3 way offering. I have previously made some Marcway points mainly for the smaller radius options but the lack of chairs jars a bit.

The main problem that most people dislike with Peco as far as I have read is the wheel drop that occurs when the crossing is negotiated. I understand this is eliminated when using C&L etc but I am happy to live with it.

Alan.

Seeing Factory Lane Sidings on YouTube was pretty well the clincher for my change to 7mm scale - particularly Alan's use of Lincs Autocouplers which, as he says, are due back on the market soon. I've been introduced to several minimum space O gauge layouts since but (IMHO) few that so effectively capture that workaday urban backstreet atmosphere and character with such subtlety :-)

David

This is a very atmospheric layout and looks first rate. Congratulations on a well executed plan. I am going to start on a similar yard as a winter project and as imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, you may well have a copycat here!

The track looks good. It would I agree be good to have a 3 way point from Peco but the double slip is a good spacesaver.

Well done and tahnk you for letting us see it all.

Regards

Martin Long

Terrific stuff, Alan. Some very nice details and a good overall feel. The street scene is lovely (I particularly like your street lamps) and as others have said the space is so well used that the layout looks bigger than it is. Nice stock too.

Chaz

PS where did your hand-throw point levers come from?

Lovely job Alan. As others have said it is a really atmospheric scene you've created. It all looks 'believable' with is the hardest thing to create. I like the small stuff that places the date without the need to quote it such as the non white windows etc... The buildings really are impressive. I must tackle a building at some point. Although I've always fancied a bit more industrial grot. I think some B/W shots will make your work even more realistic.

Lovely job Alan. As others have said it is a really atmospheric scene you've created. It all looks 'believable' with is the hardest thing to create. I like the small stuff that places the date without the need to quote it such as the non white windows etc... The buildings really are impressive. I must tackle a building at some point. Although I've always fancied a bit more industrial grot. I think some B/W shots will make your work even more realistic.

Thanks woodyfox. I'll try converting some photos to black and white - makes sense as I am slightly colour blind anyway!

Alan.

Archived