3 tracks in stations

oitoitoi

Hi, I'm currently in the process (moving at a glacial pace...) of building my layout, its loosely based on Newcastle Central in the 1940s.  Having examined os maps from the period I noticed that on the through platforms there was a third line of track between the platforms, whereas the station today has only 2. I was wondering why this was?  What function did it serve?  I understand in a terminus station they could be used for turning around the train, but in a through platform I admit I'm quite stumped as to their purpose.  

Also if anyone's familiar with the station plan as it was before the 1981 construction of the island platform, you'll notice that the southern train shed (from the 1890 extension) contained 3 lines of track despite having just the one platform, again I'm a bit confused as to the purpose

I'd really appreciate any help I could get in this area, cheers!

Guest stuartp

Engine release off an incoming train could be needed on a through road as well as a bay, either for a terminating train or one changing locos. Also stabling for rakes of coaches, parcels vans, buffet/restaurant cars etc in between workings, locos waiting to take over trains, through roads to allow movements without needing a platform road cleared, etc. There was a lot more shunting and remarshalling of trains or attaching and detaching portions then than now, and overnight a lot of parcels and postal traffic all of which loaded in the platforms but needed to be sorted and stabled somewhere.

In the old days there were lots of through coaches, horseboxes etc. that had to be switched from one train to another at major junctions.

The track layout often didn't change much unless there was a major relaying exercise, even when the original purpose of the trackwork had long gone.

Reading had these (at least until quite recently). Not sure if they have survived the current remodelling or not.

Reading still has only one through line left, but it will too be swept away. This is the report from an engineer on a website, reporting the progress of the Reading Station redevelopment:

"The existing down fast platform (was 5 now 7) will be widened to about where the existing through line is located and this will be used for trains going towards the west of England. The current eastern concourse and ticket barrier will remain but will only give access to platform 7 and the Southern route

platforms."

I wasted many hours train (steam) spotting on north east stations.  I think I am correct in saying that Newcastle, Middlesbrough, Stockton and York all had overall roofs and 'extra' lines which in a lot of cases seemed to be used for carriage storage.  At Newcastle the extra tracks were also 'home' to the resident J72 in ex LNER green.   However a number of the older NER stations were based around a central island platform, Darlington Bank Top comes to mind, along with  Eaglescliff and Thornaby.  However at Darlington extra carriage storage was provided by tracks parallel with the running lines but still within the 'train Shed'.  The 'non-stop' lines at both Newcastle and Darlington passed by on the outside of the train shed.  At Thornaby there were two independent running lines for goods traffic running parallel on the north side of the station.

All history now

Regards

Ray

Ipswich still has one, the main use of which is for freight to avoid the platform lines.

I used to commute to Ipswich during the 1980's. At that time the central set of tracks was used to change the loco from electric to diesel, and vice versa. This used to result in the Liverpool Street to Norwich Inter-City service having a long stop at Ipswich.

• RMweb Premium

In the 70's the centre road between 8 and 9 was mostly used for parcels stock, there used to be a parcels train marshaled up that left about 8pm IIRC, which was made up from stuff left all over the station.

The three roads behind 10 also were used for parcels, the odd cripple or extra coach, sometimes the odd DMU too.  Also the South/West end 204 used to loaf about there too if it had nothing to do.

I was that young man on the end of platform 10......

• RMweb Premium

They can also allow non stopping trains to pass through the station without occupying a platform.

possibly the most famous of these would be at york - many pics exist of  ECML expresses passing through on the middle road (or roads, there were 2 - presumably up & down)

• RMweb Gold

Centre roads - but not as through lines - were quite common at medium-large GWR stations although many of them were swept away when through lines were added.  Some lasted quite late on such as Slough (Relief Lines side) and Bath while the last was probably the Pilot Lines between the Up & Down Reliefs at Reading.

Sheffield is one of my favourites. Two sets of double centre roads. That alongside platform 1 is used for trains to access either end of the platform, via a cross over half way along; all others are used for DMU stabling (go there on a Sunday to see what I mean).

Carlisle is another classic. Scissors crossovers halfway along each platform used to facilitate local trains and stock shunts but their 'famous' use was for locos awaiting engine changes (plenty of great views in steam days of three locos lined up alongside each other!). Still used for this purpose occasionally - see below! Crewe used to have centre roads for shunt purposes, but the main two that remain are now the non-stop through lines, following the 1985 re-modelling so no longer 'count' in this impromptu survey.

post-16151-0-04300700-1358435617.jpg

Archived