Marshfield Junction

MattWallace

*** EDIT ***

If you don't want to read the entire thread of me trying to make decisions, click here for the trackplan and here for the reasons behind the name change.

The really interesting stuff starts toward the end of page 5... :)

*** END EDIT ***

So whilst I wait for permission to invade the loft at the new house (by no means guaranteed!) I've been thinking about what I would do if I could build a truly "large" layout based on what I've learned by working on the now deceased Blockwall Junction and I've come up with the following idea for my next layout.

Before anyone gets too excited, at the moment this is pure fantasy and is unlikely to happen as we have absolutely no idea what the loft even looks like in the new house, nevermind whether there will be room for a layout up there or not once we've put all our stuff up there, but hey I need to get this out of my system so here we go...

The layout is based around the town of "Redcot".  An entirely fictional (yet incredibly busy!) commuter town situated somewhere between Reading and Didcot on the Great Western line.

The layout will be modern image and by placing it on this stretch of line I get to play with the following rolling stock (some of which I own, some of which I'll have to buy... :O ):

Passenger Services:

* Class 47s (FGW Livery - I currently have them in BR Blue/Yellow intercity)
 * Class 180
 * Class 165/166
 * Class 220

Freight:

* Class 66 (GBRf, EWS - I currently only have GBRf)
 * Class 70 (FL)
 * Class 20 (I currently have BR Blue, but Bachmann announced this weekend that they're going to be doing 20901!)

This is also a chance for me to learn how to use XTrackCad correctly as well to draw up a layout that I can import into JMRI.

The layout is a bit of an engineering challenge and I am going to attempt the following:

U-shaped layout with a station at each end.  Each station will have 4 "through" lines and at least 1 terminus bay.

At each end of the "U", there will be a helix (they seem to be all the rage these days!) leading down to a "U"-shaped fiddle yard.

My current plan (which exists only in my head!) consists of the "arms" of the U at 6' each and the "base" of the U at 10'

Once the trains have travelled down the Helix into the yard, there will be "standard" FY point ladders for the storage of "short" DMUs and other stock (a pair of 20's on Sandite/weedkiller duties etc) along the 6' arms and then the 10' base will be an automated traverser to hold the longer freight and passenger services.

Continuous running will be available on the two central tracks of the FY via the traverser.

The main part of the layout will consist of an industrial area (probably some kind of earth-works/gravel/stone store) as well as a 4-track mainline for the "through traffic".

The entire layout will be controlled from JMRI via the excellent MERG C-Bus and whilst the FY will definitely use Peco solenoid point motors (I've got 13 of the damn things left over from Blockwall!) the main body of the layout may well use servos.

This is not a small project.  It will take time.  It may never happen (!) but if it does, you lot will be the first to know!

So thinking about this and talking with a certain Vanders of this parish, the grand plan is as follows:

1. Secure the loft for use as a new train area
  2. Measure up
  3. Build an "L" that contains the main scenics and a temporary Fiddle Yard that can be adapted to become a staion in future
  4. Build the first Helix from the "temporary" FY down to the first leg of the "underground" permanent FY
  5. Build the traverser and link it to the first leg of the permanent FY
  6. Convert the "temporary" FY to a station
  7. Build the second "leg" of the "U" including the station as a terminus but with the ability to "remodel" to accomodate the "through" lines
  8. Build the second Helix
  9. Build the final part of the "underground" FY
  10. Profit

That way I have areas that I can play trains with whilst I'm building out the rest and the first parts of the layout (item 3 above) I probably already have the timber/track for...

Now I just need to get permission from my wife... :D

I have a dream... and it looks a bit like this:

8551978297_9e8c7fdf00_z.jpg

Basically you can see the stations at either side of the layout with the industrial area in the middle.

The through-lines of the stations will lead to the helixes (helixi?!)

Comments are welcome, I've seen pictures of the new loft today and it looks huge!

Hi Matt,

I was wondering what you've been up to - now we know - all looks very interesting.....

Hope you get the 'planning permission' - remember it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission

Phil

lol, I've moved from a response of "Well, we're going to need to store a lot of things up there...." to "Does the loft look big enough for you?" in the last couple of days, so here's hoping!

I really need to measure up the space and I'm going to have to board out the entire loft before I get started on this, but we'll get there :D

• RMweb Gold

The through-lines of the stations will lead to the helixes (helixi?!)

<Point of information, Mr Chairman>

Actually, the non-English plural of "helix" is "helices", but "helixes", as you initially wrote, will do.  

</Point of information>

<Point of information, Mr Chairman>

Actually, the non-English plural of "helix" is "helices", but "helixes", as you initially wrote, will do.  

</Point of information>

Ha!

I knew someone on here would correct me on that - always interested to know the grammatically correct way to spell things :)

• 3 weeks later...

Here's another idea, I guess it's fairly straightforward apart to say that the traverser will probably have five or six lanes and th main/freight line will be a dual-loop but my license on AnyRail won't let me have that much track on a single picture!

The Plan:

8602767831_9482e943e8_z.jpg

The 3D Version:

8603868808_535249c365_z.jpg

Whaddaya think? :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks.

We exchanged on the house this week and should complete next friday, however with all the unpacking to do and the fact that the loft at the new place needs to be norded out and have a ladder finished coupled with the fact that there's another Wallace on the way in September it may be a while before I get to this one...

Matt

It sounds like it could be a very good layout.i managed to convince my wife to let me build a layout in the loft.....and after many years of debate she caved in and i then started the build at christmas just gone and glebe road junction was born.

Im so glad im now in the loft as i had my old layout in the shed and was too cold.

If i was you id keep banging on about it to the wife and buy her some nice flowers and she will cave in eventually as mine did.

Terry

It sounds like it could be a very good layout.i managed to convince my wife to let me build a layout in the loft.....and after many years of debate she caved in and i then started the build at christmas just gone and glebe road junction was born.

Im so glad im now in the loft as i had my old layout in the shed and was too cold.

If i was you id keep banging on about it to the wife and buy her some nice flowers and she will cave in eventually as mine did.

Terry

Heh, it's been agreed that the loft can be mine (as long as there is space to store other things under/around the layout) but I won't have your luxury of converting the loft into a purpose-built railway room as we simply don't have the cash!

It'll be boards down in the loft, power in (if it's not there already) and a portable for the winter I would have thought...

Great layout btw, I'm following with interest (and stealing ideas left, right and centre!)

Matt

Heh, it's been agreed that the loft can be mine (as long as there is space to store other things under/around the layout) but I won't have your luxury of converting the loft into a purpose-built railway room as we simply don't have the cash!

It'll be boards down in the loft, power in (if it's not there already) and a portable for the winter I would have thought...

Great layout btw, I'm following with interest (and stealing ideas left, right and centre!)

Matt

Glad to hear you can use the loft.and im glad my layout can help you out on the way.you can also see videos of my layout on youtube

If you interested mate.any way i will be following your progress as you go along and wish you lots of luck.

Terry

I got some time today to think about the layout and I'm wondering if going "all freight" isn't a bit limiting.

So I came up with this:

8645404650_86cba8696c_z.jpg

This is for the "north" end of the layout and although the drawing is set for 18ft, I think it will shrink down well to approx 12ft if I need to.

Those of you familiar with the "old" Reading Station (i.e. before the current work got underway) will probably recognise it as the inspiration for this section with the four bay platforms being long enough for 3-car DMUs (and maybe even a Voyager at a squeeze!) with the central platforms for HSTs and "waiting" freights.  The two tracks in the in middle of the station are for non-stopping services and will allow me to run larger freight services through the layout as well as WindHoff MPVs/RHTT movements etc. as I purchase more stock.

I'm a lot happier with this as the basis for the "main" feature of the layout, the next step will be to design the scenics for the two sides of the layout and then the FiddleYard.

I'd like to get some multi-level action going on, but I'm not sure how I'm going to achieve that at the moment!

Thoughts welcome,

Matt

Thanks Chaps.

Still dreaming, but here's how I see the rest of the layout working (this is based on 18ft x 12ft even though I've not measured up yet!)

The "West" side of the layout:

8646470628_495657ffcc_z.jpg

This contains a goods yard of an as-yet-to-be-decided industry, but will probably be Aggregates or similar because that gives me an excuse to run longer trains :)

It also maps onto the Fiddle yard:

8646470790_717df2836b_z.jpg

This is a traditional "ladder" FY - I thought about a traverser but I'd need to come in to the FY a lot higher up the layout which isn't possible with the angles that I want to use.  I also thought about a Helix but that seems like too much effort!

The "top rung" is split into two headshunts so I can stable any engines that might be running light although they are just under three foot long so I should be able to squeeze a 2-car pacer or similar if I want to.  The other rungs will either be "through traffic" or for longer trains.

Not sure sure what "RedCot East" will contain - any suggestions?

Thanks,

Matt

• RMweb Gold

You say in your first post that you want some multi-level action. Have you thought of putting the fiddle-yard under the main station and making the layout a figure-eight folded back onto itself?

Hi Jane,

Thanks for suggesting that, I'll have a think about it as it may well make sense to do something like that.

I think the biggest issue I have at the moment is that I haven't actually been in to the loft so I'm guessing at the space I have to play with!

I'm starting to wonder if a raised Single Line Terminus might be nice to put in to the "East" section with the "main line" running on the lower level.

If I get a chance to play I'll look at the folded eight and  the SLT as well :)

OK, a couple more spare minutes "in between" packing boxes and I've got a rough plan for Redcot East as well:

8647749957_be43470b1f_z.jpg

The idea is that <insert type of cargo here> trains can come in to the yard and be shunted into any of the four roads in order to load/unload their (as yet undecided!) cargo.

Note that there aren't any headshunts, this gives me the chance to pull a load in from UP or DOWN, decouple, have a shunter pull it into the correct siding, let the main engine run light back onto the layout, shunt the cargo back again and wait for departure, it's effectively a very basic shunting puzzle and adds a challenge to what is predominately a tail-chaser layout.

I'm erring toward a Fuel terminal on this side of the layout but I don't know if it's a bit too close to such a large station for the HSE to approve it...  :paint:  :nono:

Thoughts welcome as always - one of these days I'll save up for a full license of Anyrail so I can put it all on one page!

I'm getting told off by "those in the know" that those curves are far too tight so they'll have to be adjusted at somepoint.

Once of the things I've been considering is the signalling aspects etc. for the layout and whilst I love the idea of a gantry holding 4-aspect signals, it looks like even Reading doesn't have too many of those!

I'll have to keep looking,

Matt

Permission has been granted and funding has been allocated to have the loft boarded out this should happen in the next few weeks.

I've measured the outside of the house to get a rough idea of dimensions and the space appears to be 26ftx17ft.  Given that the roof is slanted and gets in the way somewhat, I've lopped 6ft off each end of the slope to allow for the rafters and come up with rough dimensions of 17ft x 17ft for the base boards so the layout will sit slightly smaller than that.

I've also been playing with XTrkCad and the converter for JMRI that allows you to convert XTrkCad diagrams to JMRI Panels, making the layout side of things in JMRI a lot easier!

It means you can convert from this:

8679917927_9568fd1960_z.jpg

to this:

8681027070_f4a52f49f0_z.jpg

Now all I need to do is come up with an idea for a layout that fits the original brief with the slight amendment that the kids need to be able to use it as well....

And I've got yet another plan (isn't this the most frustrating part?!):

8683349412_fee67016ec_z.jpg

I need more "stuff" to make it interesting, however the idea is that there's a "tail-chaser" that involves the traversing FY (yep, I'm back to a traverser again!) and a mainline station that's 6ft long to accomodate any future purchases.

Apologies for the image size, however I don't appear to be able to upload images larger than 1024x768 to Flicker at the moment.

This layout looks rather boring to me, so it will prbably change again before I build it, however we've accepted a quote for the loft and work should start on that in the next few weeks.

Once the boards are in, I'm off to http://www.reseiclo.co.uk in Newport, Wales because they do 8ft x 4ft x 9mm ply for £7.50 a sheet!

Archived