New DRS Carlisle-Sellafield commuter service

davetheroad

Apparently DRS are now running a daily commuter service between Carlisle and Sellafield using Clas 37 locos and a rake of 4 MK 2 coaches.

I have found images of a couple of MK 2 TSO coaches which I presume will be used but does anybody know what the other 2 coaches are and are there any images of them?

This short train will form a colourful and different contrast to the endless stream of DMU's

Fits in with my layout as well.

When the Eastleigh bi-election was in the news the BBC visited the towns railway works and in there were some refurbished MK2's in DRS livery.  An immaculate MK2 TSO rolled by whist they were filming and I would guess that there that there would also be a  MK2  BSO as well.

XF

So the service might never run at all!

Never mind. i plan to have a 'Thames Clyde Express' and Class 350 Desiros on my layout in a speculative Transpennine livery anyway so adding a 'might have been' is fine by me.

It will be fun learning how to produce the vinyls etc anyway.

ps - does a DBSO work with a Class 37?

It's not started yet. It might start in May but there are all the usual internal railway politics to be sorted first. DBSOs might be used at one end to save top and tailing.

• RMweb Gold

DRS had a draft access agreement in 2011 which gave one SX slot in each direction between Carlisle and Sellafield using either 2xCl.37 or 2xCl.47 plus a rake of 4xMk2 coaches, the contract included 13 intermediate stops.  The Access Contract draft did not include use of DBSO vehicles but that could possibly be in a subsequent amendment which is not publicly available at present.

The trains do not appear to be in the May timetable according to information currently available on the 'net but there are numerous possible explanations for this so it it is not possible to draw any realistic conclusions from that absence.  There are various procedural steps to go through before new operator can establish a passenger train service and the fact that the trains are not included could be down to any of these or even the fact that timings have not been sought.  Apart from moderation of competition there is nothing that I can think of in the way of 'internal railway politics' which would be likely to cause any sort of delay - everything is a straightforward procedural process and DRS are, in my past experience of them, more than competent to handle that sort of thing.

Apparently DRS are now running a daily commuter service between Carlisle and Sellafield using Clas 37 locos and a rake of 4 MK 2 coaches.

I have found images of a couple of MK 2 TSO coaches which I presume will be used but does anybody know what the other 2 coaches are and are there any images of them?

This short train will form a colourful and different contrast to the endless stream of DMU's

Fits in with my layout as well.

Eastleigh are refurbishing all the coaches. There are pictures on this site of them at various stages of the refurbishment: http://www.carlswatson.com/Trains/Galleries%202013/Galleries%20201302/20130222EastleighWorks/tso6008eastleighworks22ndfebruary2013.html

Cheers

Tom

DRS had a draft access agreement in 2011 which gave one SX slot in each direction between Carlisle and Sellafield using either 2xCl.37 or 2xCl.47 plus a rake of 4xMk2 coaches, the contract included 13 intermediate stops.  The Access Contract draft did not include use of DBSO vehicles but that could possibly be in a subsequent amendment which is not publicly available at present.

The trains do not appear to be in the May timetable according to information currently available on the 'net but there are numerous possible explanations for this so it it is not possible to draw any realistic conclusions from that absence.  There are various procedural steps to go through before new operator can establish a passenger train service and the fact that the trains are not included could be down to any of these or even the fact that timings have not been sought.  Apart from moderation of competition there is nothing that I can think of in the way of 'internal railway politics' which would be likely to cause any sort of delay - everything is a straightforward procedural process and DRS are, in my past experience of them, more than competent to handle that sort of thing.

It was originally assumed that DRS would be crewing the trains. However, it seems that the Northern TOC depots who work the Cumbrian Coast line are a bit miffed at this as it will lead to loss of work at already small traincrew depots.  

• RMweb Gold

It was originally assumed that DRS would be crewing the trains. However, it seems that the Northern TOC depots who work the Cumbrian Coast line are a bit miffed at this as it will lead to loss of work at already small traincrew depots.  

So are Northern reducing their own service?  It only affects their staff if trains are being withdrawn and presumably Northern are contracted to meet their franchise terms and the DRS trains will basically be an open access operation.  No doubt Northern will lose some passengers but that seems to be all unless something deeper is going on with some horse trading of paths?

But whatever - DRS are one operator running outside the franchising system and Northern are another one running within it - two very different animals.

ISTR the previous DRS ''Glowex'' used DRS drivers and Northern guards and replaced a Southbound unit to strengthen another service. I believe the stock is all having 'blue star' wiring installed to allow the DBSO's to control the 37's. HTH, kev.

Archived