My take on recycling and reuse of an old cheaply bought Airfix 2d bso and how it will emerge as a 2f RTOV

So far its been the use of Pete Harveys rather nice etched parts, Extreme Etchings window frames and other parts from Southern Pride which include etched roof cover (bigger than those on d & e stock) new roof vents and whitemetal B4 hydraulic damper fitted bogie side frames.

Mick Bryan's (newbryford) yellow workbench thread has been one of my most avid read threads over last few months and was one of the main reasons I wanted to have a go at a RTOV too!

I have been taking loads of pics as I progress first up the coach as it arrived...

post-7587-0-90245000-1363998744.jpg

Ian

Starting with an old airfix Mark two d bso.

First up was dismantling the coach which is held in by the chassis floor unit.

Principal parts are bodyshell, chassis, seating screwed to chassis with captive weight glazing can be glued or just a push fit, chassis clip are at the ends and midway , they keep the body together well but can be a bit bendy to release but care and time will see them part.

Bogies

I am up for replacing these for hydraulic dampers which the prototype can usually been seen under. Southern pride list these as a spare part My choice is to fit a captive 8ba nut into the chassis, I use a bear removal tool just to open it up then a drop of superglue Is dropped in from the inside. Hurst provide the etched bogie frame, which can be soldered up to make I nice and firm. Also worth a mentions is adding the disc brake 12mm wheelsets. My choice is branchlines nickel silver wheels with a etched disc brake insert from cc mjt Hurst

Body shell. Right we need to carefully pare away a few things to correct d to f alterations and then the conversion to a dbso Inner ends Remove moulded handrails and replace with .4mm wire Yellow stock have extra connectivity which can be added the tdm cable can also be shaved off to add 3d

Cab ends Basically everything comes off! But a word of caution some dbso have an upper rainstrip others are less prominent 9714 has the whole roof end as ever so slightly over hanging.

The editor wouldnt let me add the above in the posting above! Apologies

• RMweb Premium

Looking forward to this one Ian. Good to see you're using the correct description of RTOV! :declare:

I need to get on with my pair - obstacle deflectors being the largest item to do.

Cheers,

Mick

First up was the safe removal of raised detail and corecting a few moulding errors...not great images but were snaps...just grabbed

The main body was stripped of detail while still assembled basically it was easier and safer to make use of the complete body to safely shave off window frames, door handles, roof vents, roof plate (bigger on a 2f) and excess hinges on the guards door, it actually opens in on the prototype.post-7587-0-83921100-1363902516_thumb.jpgpost-7587-0-57755300-1363902550_thumb.jpgpost-7587-0-87278800-1363902830_thumb.jpg

I have a number of old trusty needle files I use with varying degrees of bite..

Doors are rescribed wth an olfa deburr cutter and then a mapping cutter. Looks a lot neater in the plastic..

After that its some fine emery, I did have some posh military modellers ones but my sister suggested some very like products she uses to polish her nails!

Also used are some none marking chisels, bought from Micromark

And finally! Some fibreglass to polish and take detail down that little bit more...are real boon on the window frames.

The plate which is I believe to access the air con on the roof is bigger on a 2f unlike the moulded 2d being a little shorter, fortunately help is at hand from Southern Pride who produce a fine neat etch for 2d 2e stock and of course 2f.

I think it is a little crisper in detail than the moulded one and have looked to replace a moulded one on a 2e project.

Steady as it goes in not removing detail you need and want to preserve, but its one you get the feel for how much you can take off, then end by fibreglassing to get a nice smooth finnish.

post-7587-0-30303400-1363907530.jpg

post-7587-0-55100300-1363907559.jpg

post-7587-0-95494500-1363907599.jpg

post-7587-0-96103700-1363907630.jpg

post-7587-0-68186500-1364075014.jpg

Roof wise 9714 has a few roevac vents as built, with an extra one as per dbso converdion for the cab, but one on the gangway end has been repositioned inward of the aircon hatch.

The roevac on mine have been replaced with Southern Pride injection moulded parts. A little neater I think what Airfix moulded and it allows them all to look alike! Save carving off old ones and looking for spares.

Also added is the radio roof pod a Hurst etch with some plasticard to give a little more depth and an rt ariel? Oh and finally also a vent which I would love a good pic of hint hint if anyone can oblige? I think there maybe another vent or aerial around what was the guards van? Again help please in the many online images I have looked at just cant see what is there!

post-7587-0-05458500-1363969675.jpg

The roof showing mark up with ohp pen and roof hatch etch fixed in place with a few of the new SP vents

Also tackled has been an attempt to create an imoroved curve on the tumblehome, I attacked mine with a three sided seam scraper agsin purchased from Micromark a few simple scrapes takes away a stream of plastic.

Awkward to capture on camera and maybe more can be removed, a slight improvement on the under curvy original!

Ian

• RMweb Premium

Oh and finally also a vent which I would love a good pic of hint hint if anyone can oblige? I think there maybe another vent or aerial around what was the guards van? Again help please in the many online images I have looked at just cant see what is there!

Hi Ian,

The vent is the genset exhaust.

A search for the other genny RTOV's 9701/9708 comes up with a few - this is one of the better angles.

http://shed83a.smugmug.com/CoachingStock/Mk2f/Mk2f-DBSO/17504543_J9LDKx#!i=1332269848&k=8m6TqPF&lb=1&s=A

I often search for other locos and/or coaches that may have run with 9714 (or whatever vehicle I'm researching)  - using the departmentals.com sightings pages for clues to the formation of the test trains.

EDIT: there is another small lump further back than the exhaust - is that the one you mean?

Cheers,

Mick

Ta Mick,

I had come across this image. Im just after the impossible maybe, I have had the odd drive down around London Road in Derby in the hope of getting a close up look from the bridge but to no avail.

I cant make out if 9714 has the extra "thingy" which looks like a 3mm scale disc? On Pete Harveys instruction and can be made out in some pics...but what is it??

So many variations eh?

Ian

Oooh hadnt come across the first image you posted!

Thanks Mick, wonder what it is for vent or comms?

Is that some overfill pipe to in the middle of the coach?

Sorry if its caused you alterations!!

Questions, questions, questions!

Ian

• RMweb Premium

Sorry if its caused you alterations!!

Not at all - I hadn't spotted it. It's threads like this that drive us along and prove how useful RMWeb can be.

And another one.

http://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/Coaches/Mk2-Coaching-Stock/Mk2F-DBSO-9701-9714-AF2F/16394523_KzRbdX#!i=1233052089&k=FSmWk2G&lb=1&s=A

Cheers,

Mick

Im going to try an unfitted wagon buffer from a Parkside wagon kit so how that looks and feels..

Thanks for havig s dig Mick much appreciated.

Ian

I've checked against a plan I have of the internal layout. It looks like it's above the main electrical cabinet. Probably a vent as you say.

Cheers,

Mick

Pete Harvey (PH Designs) introduced a rather nice collection of parts to convert and add detail to enable a detailed RTOV.

So my Christmas present to-from self was duly ordered.

After getting them and reading through the impressive instructions I couldn't wait to get going.

The biggest etch is a 3d scribing jig, which allows the cab door, windows, lights and horn all to be marked out effortlessly. I ran a scribing needle held in a pin chuck (the needle came from Hannants) round the jig, which took a few minutes then chain drilled upto the aperture.

Hopefully a few of you may have picked up my mention of my tools used, im a sucker for a useful gizmos.

post-7587-0-52095700-1363984930.jpg

The photograph shows the body after the scribing jig use and the double doors have been opened after drilling the section around the doors then filled square, up to take the generator grille etch. I have also made an attempt at creating the over hang on the roof end each dbso rtov seems to be slightly different 9714 former gangway fits into the roof and there is a distinct over hang from the roof. I used some squadron putty and a strip of ten thou evergreen strip to create the ledge above the new cab windows. Still needs more attention, getting there.

Next up the need to add some of these fine new etchings...

The gangway door plate just placing it in the moulded recess shouts dbso/rtov very exciting...next up my attention was taken up with generator grill, a fine set of parts from the PH Design kit, I assembled it with 'thin' superglue used sparingly. I thimk I couldve done a better job with soldering but hey ho...hindsight and all that.

post-7587-0-47512900-1363996113.jpg

The next thing I had to try was the rather tasty Extreme Etchings window frames, a bit of work to get rid of the moulded detail. I intend to use glazing from Shaeplan and a little workmis required to set the frames on first, ehich requires a taper onnthe feames to be removed. My three sided sesm scarper soon so that job out the way, thus allowing the glaxingvto be added from behind the frame later on.

To add the frames I first tried using superglue applied via a pin..which was ok

post-7587-0-83870200-1363996387.jpg

I ended up though using some uhu applied sparingly which allowed a little tweak..I then went back to add a tiny amount of superglue into the corners, the merest drop though. I want the frame to be as flat as it csn but secure, hopefully a coat of primer will also aid the bonding process, maybe im just paranoid one may come adrift.

I remember seeing the first dbso conversion in 1978? On the front cover of the first edition of platform 5's coaching stock pocket book and thinking....hmmm what is that??

They do have a character and face, many with various amendments, alterations, quirks and repairs since being converted for their work on the Glasgow - Edinburgh pushpulls.

My face will be 9714 as its been recently...still work to do

post-7587-0-74848600-1363997597.jpg

I like how they were altered in such a simple way...compare the cab front now to as converted and they have morphed many ways.

post-7587-0-68934800-1363997636.jpg

Underframe

Again Airfix did a good representation of a 2d underframe, but oddly with an angled buffer beam. The prototype on all mark two stock is straight. Southern Pride came to the rescue again, with a little help from Evergreen strip and some either ABS or MJT buffers.

The undeframe is easy to attack and most items pared away with a modelling chisel blade, I purchased a number of SP aircon kits which allowed for some spares which will come in very handy with the re-equiping of the undeframe. Also worth a look is the aged Lima underframe from their shorty 2f's, which I just happen to have a few stored in mod Eldon...lucky eh?

RTOV's have also had a fuel tank added which is being fabricated from various bits of Evergreen strip. Located in the centre of the vehicle. Dont forget these vehicles have led a special life, from being built as standard 2f's, their life as test vehicles has seen many further adaptations.

Work on this area is still very much a work in progress....

The pics show the current state of play with the floor stripped of the majority of its moulded original parts.

I have added a captive 8ba nut to secure the Hurst etched bogie frames.

Also added have been Southern Pride battery boxes

Hopefully clear are the adaptations to one end so far of the straight buffer beam. It is mounted with a shim of strip and some salvsged gangway bottoms, clear in some images, why would they still be therethough once the whole front end was plated over and the gangway removed?

post-7587-0-92743400-1364080636.jpg

post-7587-0-76621400-1364080655.jpg

Couldnt resist to see how everything has begun to blend so it was out with the Halford's grey "wondrous primer" came out to highlight any areas of concern and or invisible til the old grey stuffgets sprayed. Why does it show shockers up so well?

Well happy to say for me it shown areas that need looking at rather than any crimes against abysmal finnishing of railway models!

• 2 weeks later...

Had a few mark two's underway for a while, ok they arent yellow and wont be but here is another airfix work in progress

Same coach just different sides a BUO

post-7587-0-39615100-1365720394.jpg

post-7587-0-18217600-1365720414.jpg

New vents and access panel, filled in windows, doors courtesy of a bso.

Etched window frames to be added.

Archived