Household products for paint stripping

Guest oldlugger

Guest oldlugger

With a distinct lack of access to normal paint stripping products, like Nitromors, brake fluid, etc, does anyone know of a common household product that might strip paint (cellulose I think, but maybe enamel) from a very small and thin etched brass grill (about 2 cms long by 1 cm high)?

Ideas on a postcard please!

Cheers

Simon

Be careful with nail varnish remover as I believe some makes can dissolve some plastics.  There are quite a few products that have been used over the years.  Depending on what type of paint you want to strip you can use brake fluid (but not the modern sillicone based product), Dettol, caustic soda, Mr Muscle oven cleaner, Fairy power spray and Coca Cola.  Meths can work on some acrylics.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Simon,

I've used Mr Muscle Oven Cleaner with success and not harming plastics either.

I left this reply on Father Dougal's Blog yesterday discussing the technique I use-Here's the link:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/1272/entry-11352-is-that-snow-ted/

There's been a lot of talk on here about the effective paint stripping properties of Dettol also.

Cheers,

Mark

Dettol.

Flash floor cleaner applied neat, especially the lurid yellow stuff.

Cillit Bang with bleach.

Be aware that none are instant place parts in a closeable container, add liquid, close and leave for a few days.

Oven cleaner usually contains sodium hydroxide (caustic soda), which will attack most paint and hands too, so should be used with extreme caution. Then, it must be rinsed off very well.

Cellulose thinner will also shift paint quite well. It's got hard to locate in this country, but may be easier to locate in France (there was no problem in Italy, when I was there last. Not as corrosive as sodium hydroxide, but has toxic fumes and highly inflammable so best used outdoors.

Oven cleaner usually contains sodium hydroxide (caustic soda), which will attack most paint and hands too, so should be used with extreme caution. Then, it must be rinsed off very well.

It contains all sorts of other stuff as well. Personally I've used straight caustic soda in the past, with great success. I've also used acetone free nail varnish remover to great effect.

What works best for any given model will always depend on the type of paint, and the type of material that the paint is applied too. There is no one-size-fits-all approach to paint stripping.

Archived