Bachmann Class 55 Deltics

southernelectric

As a model I would rate them as somewhat 'Plain Jane', but capable of relatively simple improvement which lifts it somewhat. Obvious defects, the front windsreens are undersize, the buffers poorly rendered (easily replaced), the small body side access panels printed on rather than provided with subtly relieved outlines (can be scribed in for a worthwhile improvement); and finally the body sits well high above the bogies. This last though is a good decision. In reality the wheeltops are inside the bodywork and on set track curves the wheel tops would cut through the lower body side. If able to use the model on 30" or larger radius curves, then Bach's chassis design is easily modified to drop the body above the bogies to scale clearance, and this very much improves the look of the beast.

The mechanism is most satisfactory in Bachmann's customary style. Quiet and smooth and will run 30 of their mk1 coaches at a scale 100mph on level track if your layout is large enough, so it is hard to imagine anyone dissatisfied at the potential for representing prototype operation. I have heard one with the factory fitted sound; how to be charitable about this? There just isn't the capability in the decoder to supply all the range of repertoire in terms of all the samples require for single and dual engine operation, and no speaker to fit inside can begin to capture the full audible range of the mighty drone. So if you know what the real things sounded like in service, best to play the soundtrack inside your head - in my opinion.

I have the DCC-fitted BR blue version 9005 (bought on a whim at a bargain price from Hattons !). It runs beatifully and for me captures the look of these mighty machines.

Glad you said that! I have purchased the same model from the same place at a bargain price, bought on a whim....will be running on DC initially though and may even send it to TMC for personalisation! 

As a model I would rate them as somewhat 'Plain Jane', but capable of relatively simple improvement which lifts it somewhat. Obvious defects, the front windsreens are undersize, the buffers poorly rendered (easily replaced), the small body side access panels printed on rather than provided with subtly relieved outlines (can be scribed in for a worthwhile improvement); and finally the body sits well high above the bogies. This last though is a good decision. In reality the wheeltops are inside the bodywork and on set track curves the wheel tops would cut through the lower body side. If able to use the model on 30" or larger radius curves, then Bach's chassis design is easily modified to drop the body above the bogies to scale clearance, and this very much improves the look of the beast.

The mechanism is most satisfactory in Bachmann's customary style. Quiet and smooth and will run 30 of their mk1 coaches at a scale 100mph on level track if your layout is large enough, so it is hard to imagine anyone dissatisfied at the potential for representing prototype operation. I have heard one with the factory fitted sound; how to be charitable about this? There just isn't the capability in the decoder to supply all the range of repertoire in terms of all the samples require for single and dual engine operation, and no speaker to fit inside can begin to capture the full audible range of the mighty drone. So if you know what the real things sounded like in service, best to play the soundtrack inside your head - in my opinion.

Thanks for such a detailed reply!

• 1 month later...

Must admit  '9005' is possibly my bargain find so far, the detail is ok for me anyway. I have added the detailing pipes and hand rails etc and think it just needs slight weathering now, also as stated elsewhere its as strong as an ox and smooooth. Oh and DCC on board, bargain.

Alternative opinion. The way Heljan do this is by a malformation of the body shape in plan, in that the ends are not correctly tapered.

The length of this prototype with the awkward feature of the wheel tops being inside the bodywork leads to an inevitable compromise if the model is to negotiate the second radius curvature of set track.

Bachmann model the body shape in plan accurately, but lift it near 2mm above the bogies to grant enough clearance that the wheels do not foul the bodywork on set track curves, and also use a narrower tyre profile on the end wheelsets to get a little more clearance. Any owner planning to operate the model on curves of 30" radius or greater can make a simple and reversible modification to the bogie pivot arrangement to drop the body relative to the bogies, and get the better appearance.

Heljan have had to make an inaccurate body shape in plan, no taper at the ends, in order that the body at right height above the bogies is not fouled by the wheelsets.

Of these two compromises, the Bachmann choice strikes me as more desireable. Much easier to make a small mechanical adjustment for correct height and then enjoy the much more realistic appearance, than have to extensively rebuild and repaint bioth ends to make the Heljan body shell accurate.

The length of this prototype with the awkward feature of the wheel tops being inside the bodywork leads to an inevitable compromise if the model is to negotiate the second radius curvature of set track.

Bachmann model the body shape in plan accurately, but lift it near 2mm above the bogies to grant enough clearance that the wheels do not foul the bodywork on set track curves, and also use a narrower tyre profile on the end wheelsets to get a little more clearance. Any owner planning to operate the model on curves of 30" radius or greater can make a simple and reversible modification to the bogie pivot arrangement to drop the body relative to the bogies, and get the better appearance.

That is interesting...what you say about the wheel tops being inside the bodywork and the 'lift' so that the bogies have enough clearance on set track curves.

I've been running a Bachmann Deltic around my test track (don't have a permanent layout yet), which is basically a small oval on a 6' x 4' board, Hornby set track with Radius 2 curves.

When I took the loco off the track yesterday, having given it a good few hours of running in, I noticed blue marks on the wheels. The bogies had somehow been fouling the bodywork (it's a blue Deltic), not only were there blue marks on the wheels but also some grazing on the underside of the body.

It's actually scratched and lifted away a little bit of the body above the bogies. As if someone had taken a filer to it and shaved a bit off. There were loose shavings on there which I blew away.

OK so when the loco is right side up and running you can't see it but turn it upside down and it's very obvious. It's damaging the bodywork that's for sure  :mad:

I'm mystified as to how this has happened. When I saw this I stopped running the loco immediately. I had been watching it go around the track at various times, and at no time did I see or hear anything unusual. 

The loco hasn't been modified in any way to lower the body (I wouldn't even know how to do that being a total novice at all of this) so I am somewhat perplexed as to how this has happened.

Any ideas as to what is causing this? The bogies are clearly fouling the bodywork....no other locos I've been testing of late have had this problem.

:help:

Well,

I had a Bachmann 37 which was slowly cutting into the body sides with its own wheels because the radius was too little it seems.

Yikes. What radius curves were you using? I have a couple of Bachmann 37's, I'd better check the same thing hasn't happened to them. I tested those on R2 curves.

This is very odd though, the body is higher above the bogies on the Deltics, as mentioned earlier, so this should not happen :sadclear:

• 1 month later...

I recently bought a Deltic new but reduced in price and have found that the leading axle with it's narrow wheels doesn't like canted curves. I'm not going to relay the curves on the flat as no other loco I have either diesel or steam derails on the canted curves. I don't know if Bachmann stockist stock replacement loco wheels. I emailed Bachmann and the reply was that the narrow leading wheel treads are there to help the loco around sharp 'toy train set' curves.  I KNOW THAT!!!! I asked them if I could purchase from them or where I could purchase wheels of the same tread width as the middle and inner wheels and the reply was as above. My sharpest curve is about a 10th radius curve. 

I recently bought a Deltic new but reduced in price and have found that the leading axle with it's narrow wheels doesn't like canted curves. I'm not going to relay the curves on the flat as no other loco I have either diesel or steam derails on the canted curves. I don't know if Bachmann stockist stock replacement loco wheels. I emailed Bachmann and the reply was that the narrow leading wheel treads are there to help the loco around sharp 'toy train set' curves.  I KNOW THAT!!!! I asked them if I could purchase from them or where I could purchase wheels of the same tread width as the middle and inner wheels and the reply was as above. My sharpest curve is about a 10th radius curve. 

Have a look at the Ultrascale series of wheels. They are the correct size and look much better!

https://www.ultrascale.com/eshop/products/view/CAT007/316

Luke

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know for sure if the bodies on older Bachmann models are interchangeable with the newer ones?

I would really like a model of Tulyar in BR blue with the white cab surrounds, but the Bachmann model of it dates from around 2005 and although DCC Ready, it does not have lights. I understand it was the last of the Deltic models Bachmann made without lights. All models thereafter had lights, as I understand it.

Could the Tulyar body be removed and put on a chassis of one that is also DCC ready (or even DCC fitted), such as the model of 9005 that's available from Hattons for £89 currently?

Would this work? I can't see why it wouldn't unless Bachmann have changed something (like the fixing screws/positions) that would prevent a straightforward body swap.

• 2 weeks later...

The transplant will work as a physical fit for the mounting points, but all the lighting apertures will have to be opened out/altered on the nose ends of the old body, and the cab fitted with the parts from the new body if in cab lighting is required.

Yikes....think I'll give that a miss!

Thing that comes to mind here is why not just paint the cab ? I have been doing this for years with one major shop sending loads of them to me to be painted. Bit fiddly but if you use good quality masking tape (I use Tamiya) a good edge can be achieved and certainly less expensive and time consuming than buying another loco and trying to swap everything.

Ian H

• 2 weeks later...

Thing that comes to mind here is why not just paint the cab ? I have been doing this for years with one major shop sending loads of them to me to be painted. Bit fiddly but if you use good quality masking tape (I use Tamiya) a good edge can be achieved and certainly less expensive and time consuming than buying another loco and trying to swap everything.

Ian H

I would probably send mine to you if I decided to go that route. Not a job I would attempt myself.

Archived