Locomotive Railway Carriage & Wagon Review

Locomotive Railway Carriage & Wagon Review

Volume 36 (1930)

No. 450 (February)

Locomotive for Gleneagles Hotel, L.M.S.R. 63. illus.
0-4-0ST No. 16048 (Peckett WN 977/1904.

Trying to get a copy of this article if anyone can help. Researching the use of this tank engine.

Brian

I'm afraid I can't help, but you already know that from NGF  :scratchhead:

Can anyone identify the Peckett class from the works number/build date? 

Paul A. 

According to Peckett's records 977 was a Class W4 0-4-0ST ex works on 30th May 1904 to Ayr HarbourTrustees, Ayr.

Later sold to Glasgow & South Western Railway Co. - No.221;  In July 1919 in use at Gleneagles Hotel

Later LMS 16043    (error maybe ?)

The later information after 1904 would be from spares order records.

Yes, there was a typo in the reference. 16043 was the LMS number for the loco.

Initially I thought the article was suggesting the loco was new in 1930 however that was the year of withdrawal. I did find a photograph of it in BackTrack Special Issue No.1 featuring an article about the hotel and station.

I wonder if the hotel thereafter had a dedicated loco for the movement of wagons to and from the hotel to the station yard.

I have seen a Caley Jumbo moving wagons at the station yard in a video but it was a Stirling shed loco which apparently operated a pick-up goods service along the line.

Remember the hotel was built by the CR. 

The hotel was commenced and substantially built by the CR starting in 1913 with a halt to works during World War 1. However it was opened in LMS days on 5th June 1924. CR becoming part of LMS on 1st July 1923.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

The Peckett which worked at Gleneagles was wks no 977 built 1904. Bought by the Ayr Harbour Commisioners to cut shunting expenses which had been undertaken by the G&SWR. In 1919 the G&SWR took over the harbour, and the pug, which was repainted and numbered into Sou' West stock as No 735. At grouping it moved about a bit within the Sou' West area including a short period at Kilmarnock works as works shunter.  In 1929 it was sent to Perth where it was photographed in the yard.  It was used on the hotel branch for a while but was scrapped in 1930.

If you fancy a model the Agenoria kit is ideal.  Here is my version of it in Sou' West livery.  Not many G&SWR engines had a brass dome and copper cap to the chimney!

post-6089-0-66404500-1367435427.jpg

Happy Modeling,

Ian

Many thanks Ian. I wonder what was used after the Peckett was scrapped.

Just noticed that Agenoria are 7mm kits. I model in 2mm/N

Its small in 7mm scale so would be a bit of a challenge in 2!

Regards,

Ian.

Lovely picture, Ian. Can you show us any more, please?

I've just bought the Agenoria kit of this type of Peckett so I'm particularly interested in them at the moment.

Lovely picture, Ian. Can you show us any more, please?

I've just bought the Agenoria kit of this type of Peckett so I'm particularly interested in them at the moment.

Hi Ruston,

Here are a couple more pug Pictures.

post-6089-0-05274800-1367698009_thumb.jpg

post-6089-0-17574800-1367698145.jpg

Both of these locos were built from the Agenoria Kits.  Both went together very well, even though I made alterations to suit S7 standards and built the frames to prototype widths.  I have found that Pete Stampers artwork is excellent and all those that I have built have gone together easily and have been accurate replicas of the prototype.  I have replaced some of the castings with scratch built bits and on the WPR loco I made new rods but that was my choice, those supplied were perfectly adequate but I wanted to try steel and add the brasses and cotter pins.  Still needs to be weathered and to have the sandpipes added!

Happy modelling,

Ian.

• 2 years later...

Archived