Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

I used the weighbridge from the wills range, purely because one lay in my scrap box. Cutting out the resin back wall was a risky business The windows are ratio midland signal box type. 

attachicon.gifGoathland layout5.JPG

Crickey, you've done a good job with that. Fortunately the new Hornby already has those windows:post-8977-0-85627600-1380124174_thumb.jpg

Brought the Wills kit today, all of the Hornby/Bachmann Weighbridges I've seen come attached to a building which is a shame as they look very nice. Don't really like chopping up that resin stuff!!

Not sure where the Hornby NER Weighbridge is based on?

The singal box, also viewable form the picture from Silky_Jacks thread.

To my mind the right hand original signal box has better windows, better brick work, the stairs are straight, it does not say Goathland,

med_gallery_17883_2781_53878.jpg0320

med_gallery_17883_2781_1480977.jpg0321

med_gallery_17883_2781_608323.jpg0322

med_gallery_17883_2781_979409.jpg0323

Old one for me. Have both but the only good thing about the new one is the "Goathland" sign. It is tiny, I thought I'd brought n gauge when I opened mine!!!

Regards the signal box I agree too small and not the best detail either, the original is to my mind far better. Several of the original buildings are better than their later counterparts. If it wasn't that we had decided to do the car park area I would probably have kept the Bachmann limited edition with a couple of the Hornby original extensions. Hornby had the chance to make a better model and fluffed it. We have to mess about cutting the floor to drop the buildings in as the new platform is poor too. Instead of bending the buildings, they made the platform narrower in parts, and the gauge/scale of the buildings are actually quite shocking. Compromises especially for the Goathland weigh bridge  are the only way to deal with it. I suspect I will eventually build this myself.

But meantime I am working on platforms.

Kal had a brainwave, PIR insulationn, remove the foil finishes, sand block knife and a wash.

med_gallery_17883_2878_213011.jpg0756

med_gallery_17883_2878_680717.jpg0758

• Like 4

Also had an update on the trees in a moment of madness, using the last of a pot of copydex and some mixed 'turfs' and a touch of hairspray this was added to previous made trees to provide some enhancement

med_gallery_17883_2781_594143.jpg0734

med_gallery_17883_2781_1562797.jpg0730

• Like 7

Regards the signal box I agree too small and not the best detail either, the original is to my mind far better. Several of the original buildings are better than their later counterparts. If it wasn't that we had decided to do the car park area I would probably have kept the Bachmann limited edition with a couple of the Hornby original extensions. Hornby had the chance to make a better model and fluffed it. We have to mess about cutting the floor to drop the buildings in as the new platform is poor too. Instead of bending the buildings, they made the platform narrower in parts, and the gauge/scale of the buildings are actually quite shocking. Compromises especially for the Goathland weigh bridge  are the only way to deal with it. I suspect I will eventually build this myself.

But meantime I am working on platforms.

Kal had a brainwave, PIR insulationn, remove the foil finishes, sand block knife and a wash.

med_gallery_17883_2878_213011.jpg0756

med_gallery_17883_2878_680717.jpg0758

That's looking really good, be interested to see some more shots of that as I'm going to build my own platforms eventually. It looks quite easy to work with? Was gonna use some old MDF I've got lying about but this might be an easier alternative.

My own opinion on the station buildings, the Bachmann is the best but missed one of the extensions which is why I've stuck to the new Hornby. It's a real bind over the platforms with this though but the rear of the station is better. I haven't got the Bachmann but did have a good look when I went to TMC and I may well purchase at a later date & mix & match.

Well I spent part of the afternoon doing a platform side, it wasn't hard. The probably is it's easy to go too far, and We are hoping it will stand up to the wear and tear. I had considered plasticard fronts glued on. I may matt varnish (hope the PIR can take it) plus leaning on it may prove rashing fashing annoying. This method is certainly quick, and as such worth trying, just don't rule out having to make a more sturdy replacement. The 'bricks' are higgely piggely  on purpose, the platform fronts on Silky_Jacks being easy to refer to. The colour is close to the real thing, but may need a grey wash to blend better with the Hornby buildings. I have gone the dark grout look as it is easier, and matches the Hornby better as well.

• Like 1

Well I spent part of the afternoon doing a platform side, it wasn't hard. The probably is it's easy to go too far, and We are hoping it will stand up to the wear and tear. I had considered plasticard fronts glued on. I may matt varnish (hope the PIR can take it) plus leaning on it may prove rashing fashing annoying. This method is certainly quick, and as such worth trying, just don't rule out having to make a more sturdy replacement. The 'bricks' are higgely piggely  on purpose, the platform fronts on Silky_Jacks being easy to refer to. The colour is close to the real thing, but may need a grey wash to blend better with the Hornby buildings. I have gone the dark grout look as it is easier, and matches the Hornby better as well.

Got any more pics? ;)

Insulation board any similar Kingspan Celotex etc will do

med_gallery_17883_2781_694832.jpg0759

Rip the foil off...ok peel it carefully....

med_gallery_17883_2781_189902.jpg0761

went too fast with the sanding so now adding some poly filler, the paint and filler is wet, hopefully nice pictures will follow tomorrow.

med_gallery_17883_2781_200834.jpg0764

• Like 2

mkwolf1877

A belated thank you for the Greengrasses pictures, google does not leave the main room, and as it is in a dip pictures are very difficult to get so these will be treasured, did you get any of the bog standard front?

not the front of the bog LOL, I meant do you have any pictures of the front of Greengrasses? I want to model the house that represents his home with as much detail as possible. Pictures are likes hen teeth. I only ever found two half decent ones.

not the front of the bog LOL, I meant do you have any pictures of the front of Greengrasses? I want to model the house that represents his home with as much detail as possible. Pictures are likes hen teeth. I only ever found two half decent ones.

Lol, sorry. I don't I'm afraid. When I went it didn't look like it was open for camping & I didn't want to intrude too much as the locals must get sick of it. However, I do have a Heartbeat book somewhere which I'll dig out & see if there's any decent pics in there which I'll scan if there are. I only drove down the drive, jumped out, took a couple of pics & cleared off!

I do think the Hornby Home Farm Building is quite a good likeness though.

A nice picture, but the one below shows the weighbridge floor

isg.org.uk have a good picture

2478373591_04b06e8a78_z.jpg?zz=1

2855714612_5260c0abf6_z.jpg?zz=1

from the same page you can see what the weighbridge is now used for, this side faces the platform and the Levisham signal box.

• Like 2

Hi Both,

rashing fashing annoying

I didn't realise    .........  

Is that Horse Raching or Car Raching that is making a comeback onto the Fashin scene   ........      :this:

Have Passport and am ready for the many countries which are available for those in exile    ...................    :secret:

J

Agreed (silky_jack) , and thank you (mkwolf1877) . Am mostly off the radar at sec Dad is in ICU, am checking as time allows, will be back asap, good reference matter is invaluable.

Edit=if anyone has pictures or indeed video of Goathland or properties used in Heartbeat series would appreciate them being put up here. 

Edited by Jaz

Agreed (silky_jack) , and thank you (mkwolf1877) . Am mostly off the radar at sec Dad is in ICU, am checking as time allows, will be back asap, good reference matter is invaluable.

Edit=if anyone has pictures or indeed video of Goathland or properties used in Heartbeat series would appreciate them being put up here.

Hope your dad gets well soon.