Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

Love the video, and I will subscribe too. Love the concept. One day, when I have enough space, I shall have Goathland, a station from the Settle to Carlisle and maybe Highley from the SVR! Got to put all the "purchases" to use ;)

I look forward to your updates,

Mark

• Like 1

mkwolf1877

I agree with your choices, with such lovely buildings being bought out it is a shame to not take advantage, I do worry that with the 3D printers starting to come through that either Bachmann or Hornby might reduce their offerings, or pull out altogether, and even if they continue if people are buying less of their product the price will have to rise.

If you have a lack of space a design that is more generic but allows a spot for each of those 3 and their associated to be traded in and out, might be a nice idea. I am considering this myself in order to allow some of our stations that are boxed to be swopped out. 

We put on different trains, eras, liveries etc, with a little careful planning a spot for a signal box, a water tower if required, and a platform long enough for your biggest station, I was always trying this station here and there, a couple of different era car isn't hard. you just need a little flat spot for each a specific size and then a drop in module for the specific scenic item to sit on. Even a little house also with a few objects to infer an era, a coal bunker 1960s or a gas cylinder 2000, a person or two kids in shorts 1960s in jeans 2000+, very little is needed for someones mind to fill in the gaps. 

Hi Both,

Very interesting Video there  ........   lots of work to go but a very good plot sorted  .....   it will be very enjoyable to see it progress  .......  :imsohappy:

If my opinion is of any interest at this advanced stage - and it is your Layout - I think there is a better overall balance to the Layout and it therefore flows much more easily from one part to another, much more naturally.

based on the old Esso advert, I've got a Tiger in my Tank.

I used to have one of the Tiger Tail ends which they gave away to be tied around the Filler Cap, so it looked like the Tiger had gone down the Filler Tube     ..........    

.........    it looked B****y daft on an MG Midget - J2  [1932 vintage!]   ........................    No, you two, I am not that old - it WAS 2nd hand   ............

9635446561_24743f3a3b.jpg
MG Midget 32 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

This isn't it but almost identical, colour, headlights and those Friction Shock-absorbers which stayed seized up until you hit a big bump and they freed up with a decidedly loud Crack  ....

............   Oh, yes - and the gap between the Floor and the Gearbox, positioned just perfectly to allow the jet of water from puddles, straight up your trouser leg  .......     :toclue:   :O

Cockpit only 3' wide and seat on the floor   .......    :friends:

Good luck with the Layout   ........  

J

• Like 2

We had one of those tails!!! I remember it as a child :sungum: I think my mum stitched it (or tied it) to a black jumper, I had tiger mittens too, Wroarrrrr!!!!. Somewhere around our home is a partly chewed on tiger that used to hang on a keyring, I still have the original advert, it was in a glossy magazine. I copied my profile cat from it, don't ask me where. Pack rat that's me.

Further to the which 'Goathland building' to use posts, IF we did another NYM station, e.g. Levisham the other buildings would have a home.  :sungum:

Here quickly two more of the Hornby resins models.

med_gallery_17883_2781_1234153.jpg0336

med_gallery_17883_2781_850609.jpg0337

med_gallery_17883_2781_1324826.jpg0338

med_gallery_17883_2781_1511546.jpg0339

med_gallery_17883_2781_1790492.jpg0340

med_gallery_17883_2781_1490177.jpg0341

med_gallery_17883_2781_784651.jpg0342

med_gallery_17883_2781_276321.jpg0343

med_gallery_17883_2781_554636.jpg0344

So which ones are you going to use? I've only got the old ones of these, didn't realise they were so different! Are the new ones a better scale? Got both sets of Hornby platform buildings, it's just a real shame you can't extend the lovely platforms that come with the new ones. Strange they didn't redo the coal drop too!

Hi

Having measured the two waiting rooms against google earth, I find that the smaller of the two is in fact closer to HO. So while it is more accurate in reproduction , it is the under scale. The larger one is a little over scale.

Edited by Kal

Hi

Having measured the two waiting rooms against google earth, I find that the smaller of the two is in fact closer to HO. So while it is more accurate in reproduction , it is the wrong scale. The larger one is a little over scale.

Thanks Kal, that's interesting! Are you going to go for the more accurate one or the correct scale?
  • Like 1

The original / larger one (waiting room)is so close to the correct scale, that we will add the extra detail over time

2nd edit (give measurements and picture for clarification)

=According to google earth measuring system it is

37ft long

12ft deep

med_gallery_17883_2781_1790492.jpg

we are measuring these live time, I'll go get another for comparison

edit = plus the orignal has the steps in place and the lamp, signage a lot easier to add than those.

Edited by Jaz

The original / larger one is so close to the correct scale, that we will add the extra detail over time

we are measuring these live time, I'll go get another for comparison

I noticed it with the signal box too. When I opened the new one I had to double check I hadn't picked up an "n" gauge one by mistake, its tiny!

The real open shelter 

edit= add picture

med_gallery_17883_2781_1234153.jpg

according to google earths own measuring system its approx

20.47 feet long by

6.51 ft deep (placement of the two ends is crucial but the pictures are not 100 percent sharp so a little margin for error anyway

measured with an Expo 00 gauge model makers scale ruler

Original Hornby =

18.5 ft ie 18ft 6in length  

8.5ft ie 8ft 6in depth measured from the front of the top to the rear of back (no exact line is possible here but it is very close), 

12.5ft ie 12ft6in height although I have no knowledge of the real height, both opens are same though

The original one definitely has a better roof line

New Hornby =

23ft length

10ft depth

13ft height

Conclusion both models are 2foot in length wrong either way, but the original model ha sa closer depth and a more accurate roof line, so it wins hands down for us.

I'll go get the signal box give me a minute

Edited by Jaz

mkwolf 1877 I will do the signalbox but then I really have to go do some woodwork, however I agree looks like an N gauge so lets measure

edit=add picture

med_gallery_17883_2781_53878.jpg

the google earth measurements =

17.35ft long without steps 23 ft long with steps

13ft wide

The Hornby original =

18ft long no steps 26ft with steps

12.5ft+ i.e 12ft 8 or 9 in

The new Hornby =

14ft long no steps 19.5 ft with steps

9.25ft or 9ft 3 in ignoring the chimney which is not on the original

The original is not only the more accurate in size possible bob on but ignoring the lack of the chimney buttress and possible the chimney shape (I have not looked at this) and the lack of a little Goathland sign on the new...the original is for me the far better model, the window with the rounded top is FAR better looking, and so is the paint work. I will be using the original for Goathland. Although this might suit Levisham which has a similar box. I have no time to check this out at the moment.

Hope this helps.

I will come back later and do similar for all the other buildings but for now

That's All Folks.

Edited by Jaz

mkwolf 1877 I will do the signalbox but then I really have to go do some woodwork, however I agree looks like an N gauge so lets measure

the google earth measurements =

17.35ft long without steps 23 ft long with steps

13ft wide

The Hornby original =

18ft long no steps 26ft with steps

12.5ft+ i.e 12ft 8 or 9 in

The new Hornby =

14ft long no steps 19.5 ft with steps

9.25ft or 9ft 3 in ignoring the chimney which is not on the original

The original is not only the more accurate in size possible bob on but ignoring the lack of the chimney buttress and possible the chimney shape (I have not looked at this) and the lack of a little Goathland sign on the new...the original is for me the far better model, the window with the rounded top is FAR better looking, and so is the paint work. I will be using the original for Goathland. Although this might suit Levisham which has a similar box. I have no time to check this out at the moment.

Hope this helps.

I will come back later and do similar for all the other buildings but for now

That's All Folks.

Nice one, thanks for doing that. I'll look forward to your findings.

The two water towers are the closest.

med_gallery_17883_2781_538201.jpg0311

with permission of Silky_Jack and The Lofty Heights

es4tuw.jpg

The original / real Goathland water tower according to Google earth is 

19 feet long

15 feet deep

The rh grey is the earlier Hornby original

16.5ft ie 16ft 6in long

12.5ft ie 12ft 6in deep

the lhs red is the later Hornby

14ft long

11 feet deep if you ignore the extra store box at the back

As you can see the models are getting smaller and further away from the real size. This is a shame the new water tower has 3 great elevations with additional detail, but as the others we have already measured they appear more in line with HO or 3.5mm. Although in this particular case the difference in size is not staggering.

You could throw both models in a brown paper bag and see which jumps out first, BUT remember the original stonework is smaller and colour matches the original buildings, so if you use the earlier shed, open coal and covered coal, you might want to forgo the later model and do a little adding of the extra details or just ignore them.

The original bits work better with the Bachmann pieces In my opinion, and I still have a soft spot for those Bachman pieces if you wish to photograph them mainly from the front. Only the most prototypical nit pickers (I think I can avoid being in trouble for saying this  :angel: well in this particular case as I am one of the prototypical nit pickers for these purpose ) could complain. I will be comparing all eventually.

NB Both the grey and maroon/red water tower have at one time been correct.

Do not forget earlier posts show all elevations.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 2

NB The two Hornby / Goathland sheds represent different times 

The real Goathland shed measured from google earth

30 foot wide adding porch another 3ft

50 foot long

The earlier Hornby open doored version is when trains still ran in and out, so two moveable doors, a step, plus sat next to the covered coal its' a good colour match

main width 23.5 ie 23ft6in adding the porch another 6ft

51 foot long

so almost correct length but very lacking in width

The later Hornby version does NOT have an opening door or track entrance, Although it has the 'new' door to the back of what is now I believe a cafe if you walk across the platform and the cobbles.

48feet long

36feet width adding the porch5ft

Amazingly this is the first oversized new item. But at 6ft at ground level and 8ft at roof level against the real thing and a whopping 12ft6in at ground level against the original Hornby you have to ask yourself

A. Do you have the room for that extra width? 

B Would you prefer the colour and stone match to the covered and open coal buildings? (if you repaint colour is irrelevant but still check the stone finish)

C Would you prefer an opening door and an allowance for the track to run into the building?

NB Notice the front elevations are not much different.

For me I suspect the older version will win out, because I need to fit in the car park, the water behind, and as much green slope behind as possible, although I suspect I still wont get in the road if I stick to prototypical, luckily the bridge leaving the car park is okay even the house on the right as you leave has a good chance of being included. (I will ensure my car park is prototypical incase later I decided to scratch build and then the car park is an issue.

I am beginning to think doing tributes are much easier  :locomotive: And to be fair with a tribute you can still have elements of prototypically, just selecting those bits you wish to bother with. Cameo pictures would still have a place. Ho hum am still going all in feet first  :senile: Still the plan is Goathland station prototypical, Aidensfield / Heartbeat / Goathland Village tribute with small cameos. 

Hi Both - nice video - thanks for the updates, and good to hear your voices ;)

You're both pouring an awful lot into this project both in terms of time and money - you're going to have to open up to the public ;)

As an aside, I managed, finally, to get a loop of track wired up and running so that my son could play trains this weekend. Only niggle was a connection on a curve that caused my 4-6-0 to wobble, so I've had to disconnect and ease the curve out. Day off tomorrow, so hope to get up line connected! May even start a thread...

• RMweb Premium

Great stuff guys!

One thing I considered was obtaining a second set of buildings and painting them in NE colours, (foot bridge omited of course) to back date it for a change. Also scratch building a signal cabin or at least the steps and verander. I'm not happy with those chunky looking Skaledale ones! 

Will give your thread a thorough going over when I get some time to catch up.

Regards Shaun.

Sasquatch

I only thought as you are moving and redoing you might consider an update and this info might help you. Your existing layout is top notch already, of course, it is one of the reasons we decided to update ours. With you and clay / cgraham and silky_jack there is plenty of inspiration. It is really nice to have other layouts who cover the same ground, it allows you to double check you are on the right path. Plus we have found modellers are usually good at sharing ideas (definetely the case here), and your Abbey and Clays' Hogwarts and Silky_Jacks research (here and on our old forum) have all encouraged us to look at this more carefully.  and the nice thing is we all have individual takes on it. I like your idea of two time eras as well.

Now if only I can find some great Sheffield Park modellers I'll be cooking with gas.

As I said on your thread looking forward to you putting it back together. And it is interesting seeing your process especially as you are in a different country. We plan to keep the authentic Goathland station layout but still tribute with cameos for Aidensfield / Heartbeat and Harry Potter elements.

• Like 1

dt

that was very thought, but being a keyring in America priced in US dollars and the post for US only I think I need something closer to home. 

But if the idea was to steer me to ebay...good idea thanks  :sungum:

Edited by Jaz

dt

that was very thought, but being a keyring in America priced in US dollars and the post for US only I think I need something closer to home. 

But if the idea was to steer me to ebay...good idea thanks  :sungum:

???????

When I clicked the link I got..

Price:

US $9.73

Approximately £6.25

1 watcher

Add to Watch list

No additional import charges on delivery!

This item will be sent through the Global Postage Programme and includes international tracking. Learn more

Postage:

US $7.95 (approx. £5.11) USPS First Class Mail Intl / First Class Package Intl Service | See details

See details about international postage here.

Items delivered internationally may be subject to customs processing depending on the item's declared value.

Sellers set the item's declared value and must comply with customs declaration laws.

Buyers may be subject to additional charges for customs clearance.

Visit eBay's page on international selling.

Item location:

Flyers Country PA, United States

Post to:

Worldwide