Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

Main buiilding side

279ft 6in  from the signal box to the v shape just past the last extension building as it hits the platform edge near the pedestrian crossing area.

N.B. 196ft from the v shape to the footbridge as it crosses the tracks - not the steps.

For the other side there are several measurements I'll write them down hopefully my explanation of how I see it will make sense.....

A 37ft 9in from the far left of the pedestrian crossing to the start of the white edged platform just up the slope,

B 218ft6in into the end of the white line I see on google earth which is frankly a point in mid air. 

C plus 14ft 9in to where the platform is half width 

B+C(233ft 3in running)

A+B+C= 269ft (Note this is similar to the platform opposite, give or take 10 feet)

plus a n additional length of 126ft 9in to the end of the platform as it reaches a trianlge near the point leading off behind for the Camping coaches.

NB 197ft before you hit the footbridge that is crossing the tracks - NOT the stairs, starting from the pedestrian end and moving  towards where the camping coaches come in.

If this is confusing tell me where you need a measurement. Although I will say google earth is very easy to use.

I would need to know which of the Hornby platforms you use and which ends you plan to use. I can measure them for you if you use any of the below.

The thomas the tank engine platforms? With the thomas the tank engine slopes? These are the ones with the white fence.

The grey and dark red brick front ones? Would you use the pointy sloped ends?

The black ones? Not likely for the platform ends, but you might use the black sloped ends and repaint them?

Main buiilding side

279ft 6in  from the signal box to the v shape just past the last extension building as it hits the platform edge near the pedestrian crossing area.

N.B. 196ft from the v shape to the footbridge as it crosses the tracks - not the steps.

For the other side there are several measurements I'll write them down hopefully my explanation of how I see it will make sense.....

A 37ft 9in from the far left of the pedestrian crossing to the start of the white edged platform just up the slope,

B 218ft6in into the end of the white line I see on google earth which is frankly a point in mid air. 

C plus 14ft 9in to where the platform is half width 

B+C(233ft 3in running)

A+B+C= 269ft (Note this is similar to the platform opposite, give or take 10 feet)

plus a n additional length of 126ft 9in to the end of the platform as it reaches a trianlge near the point leading off behind for the Camping coaches.

NB 197ft before you hit the footbridge that is crossing the tracks - NOT the stairs, starting from the pedestrian end and moving  towards where the camping coaches come in.

If this is confusing tell me where you need a measurement. Although I will say google earth is very easy to use.

I would need to know which of the Hornby platforms you use and which ends you plan to use. I can measure them for you if you use any of the below.

The thomas the tank engine platforms? With the thomas the tank engine slopes? These are the ones with the white fence.

The grey and dark red brick front ones? Would you use the pointy sloped ends?

The black ones? Not likely for the platform ends, but you might use the black sloped ends and repaint them?

Hi,

I've mainly got the grey and red brick front ones, but do have some Thomas (handy with the fence on!). Will probably use the grey & red brick ones as a base although I may build something of my own eventually. I'm hoping Hornby will do extensions to the pieces supplied with the new buildings! I'll use the slopes as per Goathland!

Many thanks for helping,

Mark

No problem as I have said before, it is really helpful having other modellers interested in the same stuff, even when we provide the same info it still is good as it confirms details. Hope you pop up a thread link on your signature when you get going, I'm sure Silky_Jack (The Lofty Heights) , Sasquatch (Goathland) and Cgraham (Made by magic : The HP Railway) will be interested as well as Kal and myself. As we solve problems, pull information together, we help each other get closer to a nice looking model. That is of course the aim of this.

A person can slog it out by themselves, but I find the camaraderie here on RMweb is superb. I have also noticed as you attempt to lean towards a prototypical station that people who have been there or even better worked there will share snippets bringing the station and it's history and workings to life.

It's late now I'll measure them tomorrow.

edit = I also like the Hornby model ones because we have so much space and try so many variations that we can quickly lay them down giving us a quick view, although people could make paper cut ones fort he same purpose.

Edited by Jaz

I checked the Hornby platforms and basically even allowing for different moulds there is little difference. In general they are

42ft long  x 17ft long

The sloped platforms are a neat half i.e.

21ft long x 17ft wide

THe pointed ones are

30ft long.

For anyone without a modelmakers scale rule, you can just apply the 4mm scale.

N.B.. measure the item in question, say 20mm divide by four = which equals five therefore the item is five feet.

I like the scale ruler because it can do both feet and metres, and it saves my making simple mistakes when checking a lot of figures. Plus I like to hold small figures of people against it because you can clearly / easily see when they are not 5ft-6ft. Plus if I am working it out for myself I write it down, for the simple reason if I make a mistake looking back at it usually makes it easier to detect an error. 

I checked the Hornby platforms and basically even allowing for different moulds there is little difference. In general they are

42ft long  x 17ft long

The sloped platforms are a neat half i.e.

21ft long x 17ft wide

THe pointed ones are

30ft long.

For anyone without a modelmakers scale rule, you can just apply the 4mm scale.

N.B.. measure the item in question, say 20mm divide by four = which equals five therefore the item is five feet.

I like the scale ruler because it can do both feet and metres, and it saves my making simple mistakes when checking a lot of figures. Plus I like to hold small figures of people against it because you can clearly / easily see when they are not 5ft-6ft. Plus if I am working it out for myself I write it down, for the simple reason if I make a mistake looking back at it usually makes it easier to detect an error.

Thanks for doing that Jaz, can I be cheeky & ask what length the Goathland platforms are? I've looked on Google earth but on the iPad you don't seem to be able to measure?

Hi Ian,

I said welcome back on your thread, but I'll say it here too.....welcome back....hope you and the family had a great holiday.....took loads of pictures of Goathland et al....and in the fullness of time will load them up on The Lofty Heights............. :sungum:

Everything is good we are doing final tweeks before scenery gets added. The tracks are reasonable level and straight, the boards are pretty much marked up ready to cut the tracks. You know me cant wait to play with the fluffy green stuff.

Plus we have (non railway mad) friends coming (who have never visited before) in 7 weeks and so we need to restore our 'grand design' LOL for that wow factor as they walk through the loft door.

mkwolf1877

Yes I have the same frustration with the iPad you can get google earth but don't move too far as it runs out of memory fast, and no measuring device. 

re post 529 As a starter for ten I would say

Main building side use 279ft6in or there abouts, 

For the sake of argument using Hornby platforms

42 x 6 = 252 plus one sloping end by the signal box 252+21+273 should be close enough for the main part of the station

If you want to just do the main buildings (and I could argue different lengths all day) you might as well allow for

A=B+C= 269ft as you can play with his figure and you already have the number of platforms for approx. 279ft 6in I would use

the same number 6 platforms but allow a slope each end.

In truth the platform other side is a lot longer but is is not a nice platform depth.

Kal and I will be allowing for 800ft minimum as we are chasing prototypically from just beyond the pedestrian crossing past the river bridge and including the road bridge.

However for anyone wanting prototypicality of just the main station including most of the river bridge, allow an 8ft  (2440mm) length board as it comfortably supports 600 feet at 4mm.

For a quick rule of thumb real foot covers 76ft at 4mm. I tend to 75 for quick calculations

So

1 ft = 75 ft

2 ft = 150 ft

4 ft = 300 ft

8 ft = 600 ft

Goathland comfortably fits a 8 x 4 board and can work on a 8 x 3 still keeping the river. You can have less length if you sacrafice the river crossing but you need the track there for the  point to get to the store room. Ours is set at an angle as we need a shallow D to come off the back wall where we have 4 tracks (2 sloped up 2 sloped down|) and smoothly run off to Sheffield Park before returning to the back wall ready to go through to the old loft.

If anyone needs other details or clarification feel free to ask. Popping them here on the thread makes it easier for me to find when I am wanting to refer to it anyway.

Edited by Jaz

Please note anyone who is already modelling Goathland, or who plans to model it, or who has memories, photographs, especially old ones, or has worked on the NER / NYM will be seriously welcomed here for any in put on Goathland or it's local stations or MPDs.

Also as we are gearing up for Sheffield park as well, the same applies, although we are considering a separate thread for Sheffield Park in order to not mix important details. However, for the moment, anyone with any interest in Sheffield Park or the Bluebell Line, please feel free to raise your head here and say hi.

mkwolf1877

Yes I have the same frustration with the iPad you can get google earth but don't move too far as it runs out of memory fast, and no measuring device. 

re post 529 As a starter for ten I would say

Main building side use 279ft6in or there abouts, 

For the sake of argument using Hornby platforms

42 x 6 = 252 plus one sloping end by the signal box 252+21+273 should be close enough for the main part of the station

If you want to just do the main buildings (and I could argue different lengths all day) you might as well allow for

A=B+C= 269ft as you can play with his figure and you already have the number of platforms for approx. 279ft 6in I would use

the same number 6 platforms but allow a slope each end.

In truth the platform other side is a lot longer but is is not a nice platform depth.

Kal and I will be allowing for 800ft minimum as we are chasing prototypically from just beyond the pedestrian crossing past the river bridge and including the road bridge.

However for anyone wanting prototypicality of just the main station including most of the river bridge, allow an 8ft  (2440mm) length board as it comfortably supports 600 feet at 4mm.

For a quick rule of thumb real foot covers 76ft at 4mm. I tend to 75 for quick calculations

So

1 ft = 75 ft

2 ft = 150 ft

4 ft = 300 ft

8 ft = 600 ft

Goathland comfortably fits a 8 x 4 board and can work on a 8 x 3 still keeping the river. You can have less length if you sacrafice the river crossing but you need the track there for the  point to get to the store room. Ours is set at an angle as we need a shallow D to come off the back wall where we have 4 tracks (2 sloped up 2 sloped down|) and smoothly run off to Sheffield Park before returning to the back wall ready to go through to the old loft.

If anyone needs other details or clarification feel free to ask. Popping them here on the thread makes it easier for me to find when I am wanting to refer to it anyway.

Thanks for doing that, happy days as I guessed at 6
  • Like 1

A conversation about zip texturing made me have a update on the test piece of scenery......

med_gallery_17883_2878_630987.jpg0508

med_gallery_17883_2878_845226.jpg0507

med_gallery_17883_2878_955851.jpg0505

med_gallery_17883_2878_1433675.jpg0502

med_gallery_17883_2878_1427675.jpg0501

I used a sanding block to put in a road and a small lane with a fine camber

I added some hedge

I recoloured the fence, I considered a weathered grey but decided on a fairly new wood.

I still need to weather set n buildings and colour the sides of the road and lane and add grasses etc.

• Like 1

water featured pictures

med_gallery_17883_2878_604377.jpg0498

ripples on water created with several layers of varnish

med_gallery_17883_2878_208783.jpg0497

varnish is the base of the water, then purchased water products for details, and moulds and powder for rocks.sunlight free.

prototype for little 'lane'

med_gallery_17883_2781_1125834.jpg

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

That's a lovely bit of modelling, Jaz.

You have this knack of capturing the atmosphere of a place which I wish I could begin to match.

And of course your backscene and sky just sets it off perfectly.

Wonderful!

EDIT: You snuck in another post whilst I was replying :)

Edited by acg_mr

dt

but I did, I followed the zip texturing check list.....

I painted it a basic dirt texture,

ok I still have to do the rocks, but you can see them on the water pictures.......

I added paint and let it mix with the stuff I sanded off, so I got texture for free

I started adding grass and hedges and stuff

and it was zippy fast..........

when I sanded the celotex I ended up with a fine texture...........

it's not finished... i said that.....

it's a bit flat earth as I showed off the roads rater than texture the whole area

but it's a quick hit........

what did I do wrong????? You wanted me to match to a protypical picture and do the indoor colour match????? I didn't make a mix of colour and plaster and match, as such but i used the poweder off the celutex with the wet paint (not dry....bite me) and no weathering etc. 

When I come to do the rock face, I'll do a step by step, and make up a quantity, is that closer?

Edited by Jaz

Ah ok you wanted me to make the 24 part plaster and up to 5 bit colour dry powder and wet it and set it on the scenery........Ok when I do the rocks I'll have a go. And do several thin layers so water gets through rather than one thick layer where it does not 'set' correctly.

If it had been done with plasterboard like I said originally on Js thread I would have be closer to the concept, as plaster is that lovely product which when dry can be 'reworked' and rewet.

Edited by Jaz

An old friend, has quietly been beavering away on a new thread, as I notice none of us from another place had posted I assume you had all missed it, and might want to catch up. I'll let you guess who as you read his posts,

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/user/16482-cwr/

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/75241-a-new-start/

Edited by Jaz

Hi Jaz & Kal!

I had been looking in here, but not being an expert on the NYMR didn't feel I had anything to add to the scholarly discussions!  Just to note I saw your roads yesterday & was most interested, ideas may be cribbed for the future...

• Like 1

Lovely to see you stranger, feel free to nick anything you think of value, sharing is what it is all about. Very pleased to see your layout on RMweb. Looking good. 

We are only doing bits prototypically, you know Kal and I....... seat of the pants flying.

BLIMEY  ........................................................... that's what it was   .........    :O

you know Kal and I....... seat of the pants flying.

I thought it was a kite   .................................   Specsavers here I come  .......    :jester:

J

still working on the testing area, adding green fluff, as we test which foam we plan to use for the scenery, this one is working out really well, cellotex both foil sides removed. Water soon.

setting sun

med_gallery_17883_2878_556136.jpg0530

sun still setting,

med_gallery_17883_2878_745873.jpg0539

taken earlier

med_gallery_17883_2878_914911.jpg0540

There are some others in my gallery, but after the first one I was going downhill so decided just these 3

• Like 6