Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

Probably get a large spider in a bath or toy shop (not sure we always used to have a large plastic spider to play with in the bath).

Not too sure about the werewolf, sort of like a large dog I guess.

Plastic Spiders!!! We were too poor for that, we had to make do with real ones

• Like 2

Hi

She is really running around a lot, as you can imagine with all the carers and nurses etc, so is a little too tired to come on here at the moment, so on her behalf, thank you, your thoughts are appreciated.

Plastic Spiders!!! We were too poor for that, we had to make do with real ones

Reminds me of the gag about poor families crossing cockroaches and chickens so everyone could have a leg at Sunday lunch ;)

Anyway, best wishes to Jaz & to you, hope things calm down soon.

A few words of wisdom.

My dad (late 80s bed recently bed bound for over 2 months in hospital) was given yesterday a nice foam mattress to stop bed sores by the NHS aftercare services.. It had a non slip finish, but did not come with ties to attach it to the bed. So I slipped it in a duvet covet and popped it on is mattress (just as you are meant to.)

Over night the mattress had twisted , ever so slightly, by the foot of the mattress it was almost 6 in (150mm) out of square, but my dad as he sat up put his hand on the mattress to push him self up on his feet to find that the mattress was actually just off the bed and slowly slipped to the floor. 8.45am he's on the floor. Luckily he could reach the phone and called me. I went through to the granny annexe to find him on the floor, he had water a good 10 minutes trying to get him self up, after 5 minutes of trying to help him get up manually I dragged a poufee through to help him, put a pillow on the floor and encouraged him to get on his knees, but almost 3 months in hospital has wasted his muscles and lifting his 13 stone frame was too much for him. 

I pulled down a pillow and a couple of duvets, he was in a warm room on a carpet and was not hurt.

I tried a neighbour, her phone was busy.

I tried the fall service (he was given just this a care package in case he falls) they advised an ambulance. I thought an ambulance for a man who has slipped on the floor don't be ridiculous.

I tried 112, which no longer operated got an answer said police (well if a nice friendly policeman was nearby a 2nd pair of hands and hey presto) got transferred to 999!!!!! I apologised and rang off, but the 999 person said ring 101.

I rang 101 got my local police and they apologised, ELF and safety missus call 999.

I rang 111, just as the call started the carer co ordinated turned up to help me, she was not to far going to an assessment. She would have been willing to help lift him. BUT the 111 service said NO you must not lift him (especially as he has been in hospital in the last 3 months having had open surgery to his tummy) She had called an ambulance, was he breathing, did he have a headache (they have to got through their list, you know he's fine but they don't of course.)

Ambluance arrives with one man. He takes one look at my dad and says needs two people to get him up. I offered the trained care offered, he apologises and says ELF and safety missus. Call for a 2nd ambulance. 2nd ambulance calls. They sit him up and manoeuvre him onto a ballon booster seat,  and with a faulty battery ballon they use a 'sheet' under his arms and the two girls (ambulance girls) pull and the guy behind balances and lifts. On his feet I give him his 2 crutches and he's fine.

I apologise profusely, they say no no it's fine, don't try lifting by yourself. And after an op the 111 service is right, just call an ambulance.

2 and a half hours later dad is sat on bed and both ambulance have gone (the gentleman paramedic did a heart and blood check etc). 

Conclusion, IF you have someone down on the floor and you can't get them up, it IS OK to ring 999 and ask for help.And if that person has had surgery, or is in poor health, or showing any unusual signs after the slip/fall you really should call 111 or 999.

Now I know this is a train forum. But a lot of us are getting older. And I thought this experience might prove of value.

Second conclusion find the xxxx who designed a foam mattress that is not secured properly to the bed, and threaten to smother them with it!!!!!!  :jester: The new foam matrees is now dumped in the hallway, I have called the nursing assist number to advise them mattress is not yet in bin, but do they not provide some straps etc to ensure the mattress does not slide off the bed!!!!!!

two and a half hours of good modelling time wasted!!!!!!!!!!!

two and a half hours of good modelling time wasted!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks to this last line I can see you have kept your sense of humour & therefore I am safe with my original thought - surely you're going to recycle the mattress into something for the model ;)

So with no shortage of trees needed here, modelling of such needs to be addressed. 

The main two tracks thru Sheffield Park are now done although the other tracks are still to do.

So the new tree, an elm - without Dutch elm disease. - is mostly built, and with a few others built before we can get a feel for the heights we can achieve.

The trees in question are deciduous, (so is the Larch although it is classed as a conifer and as such won't be used in this area.) 

The first picture shows the new tree, it is the one which still has a copper base

med_gallery_17883_2856_309739.jpgrmweb160trees1

The approach

med_gallery_17883_2856_577108.jpgrmweb161trees2

The new elm 11inches, 27mm +

med_gallery_17883_2856_129618.jpgrmwe162trees3

close up of 'leaves'

med_gallery_17883_2856_196975.jpgrmweb163trees4

The type of shots I will be looking to set up

med_gallery_17883_2856_196975.jpgrmweb164trees5

The base of an earlier tree I made which will be similar to the one still to be finished

med_gallery_17883_2856_6061.jpgrmweb165trees6

The latest trees was

Copper, twisted (the main support was too light and needed enforcement for the tree to stand independently)

Greenscenes flxibark was used (it gives  a lumpy finish but it is so fast to put on - by comparison)

Greenscenes supplied the brown netting (sorry lost label for proper name)

Copydix stuck the net to the bare tree

Guagemaster 157 medium green leaves provided the greenery

Hairspray stuck the green leaves to the brown netting (It wail have an extra cover over the top as more sticky when I get the name I'll edit and add it

XXX

The top half of the trunk was several layers of the flexibark, but the base will something else DAS? Milliput? for some additional weight. DAS would be cheaper. Milliput quicker (so I'm told bought some not tried it yet)

Thanks to this last line I can see you have kept your sense of humour & therefore I am safe with my original thought - surely you're going to recycle the mattress into something for the model ;)

Technically the little is on loan, to be returned to the NHS, other wise I probably would have already 'minced' it in a food mixer to make leaves, turf, greenery etc!!!!!!!!! :jester:

A 1ft by 1 ft by 4 inches (300x300x100mm) can cost like £15 from your local material / craft shop , so it would be a cost effective item but they might charge me!!!!!!!

Second conclusion find the xxxx who designed a foam mattress that is not secured properly to the bed, 

:offtopic: Place F/M, on normal matteress, make f/m, as per "normal bed",bottom sheet elasticated, only,................ then tie person,then duvet...........

Will sent you vid & t-shirt.............. :drag:

Edited by David Todd

If I could I would have, A nurse inspected the way I had set it up yesterday and had approved it!!!!!

The bed is one of a twin, they have a bar head and foot that is attachable to stop people falling between them (dad tried that once wasn't impressed)

The bed mattresses CAN be zipped together. But Dad does not want his bed ruined, and whilst he recovers, plastic covers are on them in case of 'wet accidents' 

so they are side by side. The original mattress has a fitted sheet onto, but the thinner foam mattress (to stop bed sores) has to go on top. The fitted sheet can't accommodate both. The original mattress is best on bed, so foam mattress MUST go on top. Technically it has a washable non slip finish. But as it is not comfortable to lie directly on needs a sheet (this was discussed and being CLEVER  we agreed popping it IN a diver cover and folding the excess underneath was an appropriate action. The foam mattress is an almost size for size for the half/ single bed BUT only the foot end had moved and not that much, The top half was hemmed in by second bed/ bedside cabinet, but had twisted ever so slightly so that the unwary could put their hand down momentarily on what appear to be firm mattress to discover an in or two was suspended in mid air, just enough for the hand to move and the body to follow as he slowly slip to the floor. He can walk with crutches BUT could not react fast enough to stop the inevitable slide to the carpet.

Conclusion? Why are no straps provided?????? When I rang through to the call centre they said don't they have straps fitted? NO!!!!!!! They xxxxxxx don't!!!!!!!!!!! (This was said politely but my mind was SCREAMING!!!!!!!!!!!) :hunter:  :tease:  :crazy:

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jaz.   Very sorry to hear about the interuptions to your modelling time.   My wife is disabled and we have a simialr bed arrangement with two independent mattresses on the double bed so that nmy wife can raise or lower hers to get comfrtable without disturbing me. She has discovered in some catalog a fitted sheet specially made for this arrangement that goes round both mattresses but is partially divided at top and bottom.  This would then anchor the foam mattress to the other one at the side.  If you want I can try and find out where she got it from.

Jamie

C&WR

Part of a hand????? I was taking pictures up stairs in the loft and had NOT noticed I was reflected in the end window, as it was dark. so the window was imitating a mirror. Neddless to say the pictures in question were binned. I will point out that my face is not scary enough to crack mirrors. At least dt, jcredfer and Mick/New Bryford have not broken down in tears on seeing me. Husband is all cried out....a long time since  :jester:

Jamie 

if it's easy yes pls, if it's not easy don't waste the time. Thank you for the thought regardless.

His twins can be zipped together

Edited by Jaz

dt

you know that xmas pressie you mentioned?

Busch 1153 small animals 

6000007.png

We did use to keep snakes, we had 36. luckily for you we don't have them any more, otherwise I would post you one.....probably the reticulated python!!!!!!!He was a good 10 footer, I would never have parted wit hHarry Houdini our Indian Python but he got trapped behind the kitchen cabinets and died, dead snake and destroyed kitchen. Anyone digging up our stone weights and slip his head through the middle, how he never lost his tail I will never know.

As for creepy crawlies, I don't need to go hunt them on the fields, they crawl all over the place :P

Edited by Jaz

Sorry, Jaz, just trying to be down with the kids & show I know their jive-talk, daddi-o ;)  Wonder if there was a Pepper's ghost effect out of your loft and a local returning from the hostelry was shocked by a disembodied lady modeller floating spectrally above his head?

There's a picture of my layout with a picture my Rugby team c2006 & one of me & The Long Haired Controller the night I was taken to be vetted by her friends in the background.  These were fixed to the pinboard which covers the railway box when it's folded against the wall & were propped up in the background, if you forgive me it's here:

IMG_2158.JPG

C&WR

LOL I'm not mad (angry no.....loco maybe), if I had planned to include my hand I would have manicured and added nail varnish :jester:

Edit I see picture UNDER table...she looks much too good for you ;p

Edited by Jaz

question

I like these langley models white metal donkeys, they are in enamel and hence a bit bright

med_gallery_17883_2806_376762.jpg

the nock plastic ones i repainted

med_gallery_17883_2806_620076.jpg

orignal nock donkey and original colour

med_gallery_17883_2781_103266.jpgrmweb167donkeys2

I wanted the saddles and riders, but have to admit the noch ones look more realistic. Has anyone seen a product that is realistic and has saddles etc, or seen them painted to a better standard so they look better? I have not been happy with the pictures so far.

med_gallery_17883_2806_645626.jpgrmweb155donkeys1

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Edited by Jaz

clay

dullcote is it like humbrol satincote? I need to buy satin cote anyway, is this dullcote better, if so who makes it? edit=Testors.

Found it by googling, looks cheap but only from america so post expensive, if someone knows a uk supplier pls say I'm googling as i speak.

I notice a lot of people are saying its a good product.

Edited by Jaz