Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

Out of curiosity did anyone building the knighting kit find any good (colour?) reference for the subject. I have tried re/fuel/ing/ diesel/pump/mpd (got an old picture of ours) loco refuleing/ even tried putting in some big station names to no avail. Does not seem to be popular  subject. even finding a diesel spill on concrete was not not easy.

640px-Diesel_spill.jpgwikimedia.org

this is the best I can find nd it is rather clean

Selhurst%20Depot.jpgrailway-technology.com55,000%20litre%20fuel%20tanks.jpgcricklewood sidings

Not a diesel spill in sight!!!!

automatic CET moduleAutomatic%20CET%20Module.jpgControlled emission toilets!!!!

fuel%20modules.jpgfuel module          lube%20pumps.jpglube oil        lnwr%20crewes.jpgNot only are the fuel modules able to provide digital dispensing data to the centralised database at LNWR Crewe, but the fuel deliveries are measured to provide valuable reconciliation information.

Finding old stuff????

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Jaz, try googling "Ipswich Fuelling point" there are some images there of a real one.

Two methods... same outcome :)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The clean one you have posted there looks like the one at Norwood Junction / Selhurst Depot and it's quite a recent build. Plus, with the Thumper there, I would guess that the shot is a fair few years old (was it around ten years ago when they went?)

Can't help with the colours sorry although I imagine they would be a utilitarian grey and there would be spillages all over the place, hence the track being set on concrete rather than ballast (makes sense to be able to control where the spillages go)

I had been researching with refuelling...not refuelling...must learn to spell!

As Kal has to work during the day...I get the opportunity to creep ahead. Research research research. 

I have gone for the concrete floor. I originally painted the fuelling elements in green...but am having second thoughts. The instructions say steel and pictures support this. There is ONE green reference so all the RMwebbers who chose it are correct. I am playing with the diesel spills.

med_gallery_17883_3113_584958.jpgrmweb843knightwingjaz3

• Like 5

Kadee

so here is the next steps on my kadee coupling quest

If you remember I left your here having fitted a 146 to this 21 tonne Hornby railroad wagon

med_gallery_17883_3123_533844.jpg

And what I wanted to fit was these:

med_gallery_17883_3123_204559.jpg

Wowao there soldier-man   ............

If you remember I left your here having fitted a 146 to this 21 tonne Hornby railroad wagon

........................   just where was it you left us from  ...    I have been back 3 pages and not a sign  .....  

......    and more pics please, of the removal  ....   unless that was already in the unknown where it was left   ....   :scratchhead:  :scratchhead: :scratchhead:  

Wowao there soldier-man   ............

........................   just where was it you left us from  ...    I have been back 3 pages and not a sign  .....  

......    and more pics please, of the removal  ....   unless that was already in the unknown where it was left   ....   :scratchhead:  :scratchhead: :scratchhead:  

It was here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/72163-arboretum-valley-run-to-the-hills-run-for-your-lives/?p=1355215

OK I did not take a step by step , but I can for the next one I do if you like?

I also had a go at an older class 56 with the older Hornby moulded couplings, I will post pictures in a short while. Again i did not take pictures as I went because it wa all experimentation until I got something that works.  I still have the other end to do, so If you want more step by step I can do that?

Edited by Kal

post-7081-0-96603400-1369588055.jpgcourtesy of Rivercider

Knightwing Kit. As you cn see I am working on the stains matching the green and getting the black diesel.Mine is till slightly older having the old metal drums and not the modern blue plastic ones as per the cut in half (I recognise this because we did one as a drinking 'bowl' for our pony some years back.

med_gallery_17883_3113_16112.jpgrmwebrmweb844knightwingjaz4

I understand the red cover is for contaminated water and effluent etc, the blue is supposed to only have 'clean' water.I have taken the assumption the long metal grid is purely to make walking safer, and considering the mess they need it.

med_gallery_17883_3113_694348.jpgrmweb845knightwingjaz5

• Like 2

First off I tried just cutting off the ring, but after a few trials, decided to cut back all the way to the gearbox just intron of the screw head you can see.

I put the pocket in the Parkas Dundas socket and sanded the bottom of it and the face of the loco to which I would Glue.

I Glued it with Rocket Rapid AD-44, which seems to the job nicely

med_gallery_17883_3123_47450.jpg

• Like 4

Considering the success so far, I think the way forward is wherever possible to fit nem pockets.

They provide more flexibility especially on the front of locos, where you may not want the coupling all the time. If I could work out a way to have swappable buffer beams , one for detail and one for coupling.

Thank you Kal, good pics too [note the classy modern youthful, slangy language for pictures]

Daughter trying to get me to use "Cool" as well   ....   although she got caught out today, when she saw neighbour's older child off to after school activity, in some uniform and asked what that was  ...   upon being told "Air Cadets" she did a theatrical "COOL    ..................   then  ............................ what's that?"  ... [1 to Dad  ..   :sungum: ]

Back on subject - presumably you can check the amount of the mounting platform needing thickness adjustment by using Blu-Tac or similar to check against the Kaydee height gauge before applying glue.

So back to Renumbering of Locos

Having had a success with a Class 20 , i thought I would renumber a Class 31 Network Rail as you will see this turned into something of a Train Wreck, but....  all was not lost.

med_gallery_17883_3145_73886.jpg

• Like 1

First Problem I ordered some Transfers from Precision Labels which turned up no problem BUT  aargh, I should have done my research first.

The Transfers I ordered were for a 31/6  with ETH, but my 233 is a 31/1, darn it.

Ok so all is not lost they can go on a future project. With the help of google and a quick check will Mr Mellow Yellow, Mick Bryford, 285 fits the bill, so I do a search and find a set of Network Rail Numbers

Edited by Kal