Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

These  ...........

Is this not the coolest thing you have seen today??  I want one

............   used to run past our window, where we used to live in Westbury. One of the Lafarge Plants was there, with a massive landmark chimney and one of the biggest chalk pits anywhere......

Mini Driver and I counted 43 of them one day  ....  

.......   a fact I related to the owner of The Gas Cupboard  ....   after an earlier discussion had been about superstitious railmen, who would not pull odd numbers of trucks   .....    we reckoned that economics has put paid to such thoughts  .....   :jester:  :jester:

You could always go to Westbury and uplift a couple of 1:1 versions, as they are nearly always parked in the sidings by the station  ......  :O

A look from Goathland Sttation

med_gallery_17883_3001_645541.jpgrmweb693heartbeat28

Version One originally had the Aidensfield Arms and Scripps closely followed by the next pertinent part of Goathland i.e.the Shops, then the church, which is what you get when you drive down the road. Give por take a house or two.  Kal has just said he liked that idea. So I am now considering moving some of the PIR sections elsewhere replacing them and starting again from the right of the Aidensfield Arms.

The shops could have a space where the church is sat at present, the river would be lifted and move, this means I might get the church in before i hit hogsmeade area. I was always up for moving Hogsmeade, It is essentially only a single small road, and is purely fictional (looks nothing like Hogsmeade) and the base St James church sits on for Hogwarts is so horrible I rarely photograph it.

The bonus is the elements that would be removed, are nice finished work that can be generic material anywhere else. And as no serious jointing of the PIR sheets has occurred this would be a simple exercise.

The Farm area at the back would be unaffected. The Bed and Breakfast is not a problem either.  The shops would be in front. The village pond should be ok.

More importantly Kal and I have agreed the police station would not match the view from Goathland station, but another house there could imitate the real house on that hill, and the drive for it could open out on to the Aidensfield Arms / Scripps area.  think we have a plan.

The bits pulled up would need to go across the room and be popped onto Port Lynn town. Hmmmm. The river could still run down into a waterfall near the cove. Mllyan spout might then needs to be tight up against the end wall. I knew that I was going to build a stand alone waterfall that could be slotted in, so I could make my Mallyan Spout waterfall and later slot it in.

We just had a PIR delivery, must go investigate the 100mm sheet.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Hopefully not too late but if you spray that whatever-it-is with Halfords Primer first, the enamels will take to it much better and it will be easier to achieve a decent end result.

• RMweb Premium

Isn't that thingy a GNR 1897vintage 6 wheeled milk van look out ducket. :jester:

That would explain the varnished teak ! :jester: :jester:..........post-8964-0-29020600-1392241087.png                                         post-8964-0-29020600-1392241087.png

:hunter:

Edited by Sasquatch

Isn't that thingy a GNR 1897vintage 6 wheeled milk van look out ducket. :jester:

That would explain the varnished teak ! :jester: :jester:..........attachicon.gifphoto-89641 (2).png                                         attachicon.gifphoto-89641 (2).png

:hunter:

Better guess than I could come up with.

Thank you Westerham

I had seen a beautiful picture of a bucket still with some yellow paint flaking off, and the bucket had not been use / left in the wet, so instead of being bare metal and well used, had a great deal of rust on it. That is what I am aiming for, that site looks good...would love to find the exact picture...I though i had bookmarked it buy no....DOH

• Like 1

Had you called your layout A sandwich with sidings.....here and not just the other place.....more people would understand that joke  :sungum: .

I think a lot of our 'in-jokes' go over peoples heads because they refer to the other place. Still the important thing is.....we get it.... :sungum:  :sungum:  :sungum:

Willow Tree

I don't plan to do this as a step by step unless some one really needs it (if so shout out)

The green wire has been twisted, the stand in this case will not become roots, willow roots rarely come above ground (yes yes I know you can find pictures but more to prove a point.

I added some thin copper wire, and added the flex bark

med_gallery_17883_2992_477972.jpgrmweb701willow1

then I got a round to getting a reference picture.........

29047353.jpgpanoramio

Thebigger branches really go up and not back down

So I cropped the thicker branches back, resused the cut offs, and ran the long thin ones to more appropriate positions

And we have this

med_gallery_17883_2992_78683.jpgrmweb702willow2

So now I am wrapping small bits of wire all over the place....

Under the box is the last elusive piece of the Bachmann concrete works, the mixing hopper, so we have a set to go with our locos, and wagons.

• Like 5

We have been adding a little more thought around how the final overall layout will work in order to cover all we would like to do.

There will be little cameos of small stations industries in a few gaps where they fit but in general we will have the layout split in to 4 rough quadrants.

Each quadrant will have a theme and a season and an era.

The plan is

Goathland and sheffield park quadrant will be as they are now, heritage with TV / film set , re enactment society events. Goathland largely from a Heartbeat era and Sheffield park up to early seventies, so in essence this area will be 1955-1975 set in Spring.

The kalborough area will be altered slightly to become an Ashford esq scene somewhere between 1975-1995. And have a mostly NSE theme, probably winter

The new Peterborough will be 1995-2025 as close to real as possible and likely to be summer

Blackpool is undecided era, and will depend on which station we choose, from six or so choices. It will be autumn to cover illuminations period. Blackpool Central is favourite but has a number of challenges not least getting decent pictures and info. If it is central, era would be 1935-1955, Blackpools railway heydays.

The one gap is western region, and I would like to find space for , Slough, Windsor, Maidenhead or other station local to there, that we can fit in.

I hope we are able to try and tell a story, across, region, era and season in our layout. The overall theme is as it has always been, ie some time after tomorrow, but to add some specific scenes would, I think add a little structure on which to work.

The eagled eyed may notice we dropped Dawlish, but I now think if we ever finish this, Dawlish would make a nice exhibition layout, so it remains in our plans if we live that long.

That is the plan, we shall see.

• Like 1

Dawlish?  You're setting your sights high:

Pendon_sea_wall_12.jpg

Dad loved seeing this at Pendon.  He worked on the scour protection for the bridge!

Let me know if you need any reference pictures for the Western Region bit.  I was brought up in the area you are discussing (although more towards the Didcot end) and may be able to help.

Depending on space I would suggest Pangbourne as a very good candidate.  It's a classic GWR example with all the modern bits added on and has four-track working.  

In my view it would be really good for a model as it's set on an embankment with the Thames on one side and very close to the station itself is a riverside pub overlooking a weir and all sorts of scenic & interesting features including a prestige car dealer nestled into the embankment, nearby church & so on.

The downside is that operationally it might be a bit dull as there isn't a yard or anything which is where I would start to make adaptations and improve on reality, unless that would be to gild refined gold, to paint the lily, to throw a perfume on the violet, or to add another hue unto the rainbow...

Edited by C&WR
  • Like 2

Thinking about it, another station I would consider having a bash at (although it would be a quiet branch line) is either Cookham or Bourne End  the former has a level crossing right by the station itself; the latter a rather special bridge (with footbridge) over the Thames just outside.  With a bit of telescoping of reality that would make a rather nice scene.

Heck, I'm actually rather tempted myself, now...

• Like 2

LOL

emt_911

24cm 240mm div 4mm = 60 foot.

Weeping Willow, Salix Babylonica

Working in front of the iMac with the weeping willow picture as a reference,

The trunk needed thicken, which was useful as the canopy was now top heavy and the 'roots' were no longer holding it in place

med_gallery_17883_2992_102800.jpgrmweb702willow3

I had to work quickly to get the DAS in place, then slapped the flex bark on before the DAS dried,

med_gallery_17883_2992_375190.jpgrmweb704willow4

by using flex bark once it has dried I can still shape the branches to a reasonable facsimile of the picture, if the DAS reals either the flex bark will cover it or just need some touch up

As you can see 9 and 1/2inches, 24 cm

med_gallery_17883_2992_396072.jpgrmweb704willow4

I am adding more small copper wires just as I did on the beech / Fagus sylvatica. The trunk is bent as per the picture.

The willow main branches go up, the small branches then hang down in clumps. Anyway I need to let what I have dry, before I can do more. Tea time.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 5

Kal,

How about Westbury for GWR + SWT  .....   3 x routes [salisbury, Bath, Paddington]..  + a short run to the Lafarge Cement factory and it's chimney + a shunting yard for those Ballast trucks you nipped down to relieve them of last night. + military operations for the local camps and collation of trains for Military equipment to go overseas, using the triangle for shunting late at night!!!  .....   + an additional fast express bypass line for through traffic + embankments, cuttings

Maybe Exeter - GWR + SWT with 2 x choices of station and multiple routes to all over the place  ......   and the river Exe nearby too

I nearly forgot Salisbury - GWR + SWT  ...   straight through but a big cutting, containing a triangle split to Southampton, London and heading for Bath in the third direction + Shunting, river, delightful Stn Bldg

• Like 4

Space will be the decider, but I really like the idea of the la Farge traffic, I have a Bachmann cement works and wagons and class 20.

All those mentioned will be worth a look.

I was reading about Slough, super interesting write up on Wikipedia, but too big for the space we can give it as it was not one of the main quadrants.

We also have two mini areas between the two lofts , but one will be a S&C station, and Jaz wants a small coal mine in the other.

In my mind it is a tardis, but I know, something has to give.

Edited by Kal