Hornby 42xx- not a bashing thread

Hilux5972

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well , thanks to the Bargain Hunters thread , ordered 42xx @ £60 from Hawkins Bazaar on Wednesday. Amazingly good service it arrived on Thursday. Finally got to run it today. What a superb locomotive. Smooth running , after a spell of running in , got her crawling round my layout with 20 mineral wagons . No problem at all. Really impressed both with the service and the loco.

• 3 months later...

Popped into the Hornby Outlet Centre at Swindon Designer Outlet the other month and finely bit the bullet and bought a 42xx, for the amazing value of £73! Very impressed with the model, plus the running plates straight, which is a bonus. Here's a review of the said model;

A review of one of the popular Great Western Railway Heavy Freight Tanks from Hornby. The powerful 42xx Class 2-8-0T, '4257', in smart BR Late Livery.
Designed by George Jackson Churchward , the 4200’s were developed for the increasing coal traffic over the sharp and steep gradients in South Wales. The first member of the class entered service in 1910 and proved more than capable, making it the first 2-8-0 Tank engine in Britain. Over a 100 locomotive were built between 1910 and 1923, though a number of these later converted and upgraded to the 5200 class or the large 2-8-2 7200 class. 
All but one member of the Class passed into British Railways ownership in 1948. By the end of steam on the Western Region in 1965, 18 members were still in action, with the last being withdrawn in August 1965. Five member of the class have been preserved. 
Though the 42xx has been in the Hornby range for a number of years now, there has been a number of tooling changes since the first releases, including the addition of a separate Smoke Box Dart and brass bearings. 
Featuring a good level of detail including; highly detailed cab interior, metal buffers, fine pipework and railings, pre-fitted cylinder drain pipes, plus smooth and powerful running straight from the box, this model is a must for any Western Region modeller!
Hope you enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_kbS7wJAMQ

post-20663-0-62537400-1461616510_thumb.gif

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Not a 42xx, but I succumbed to a 72xx today. The reason? I had looked forward to one from when they were announced, but was put off by mixed reviews. I considered buying a lot of stuff from Hattons in the Hornby fire sale, but decided that rather than buying stuff simply because it was cheap, I'd support one of the shops Hornby burnt in their fire sale by buying one of these 72xx machines. The one I chose is R3225 in Great Western green, which I believe may be from the first batch? The smokebox dart looks fine to me, despite not being metal, and the unsprung buffers do not detract from the model in any way.

I'm glad to see that Hornby have sorted the double pivot front pony truck that plagued the LNER 2-6-4 tank, and it runs faultlessly through all manner of curves and pointwork. Running is really smooth, even down to a crawl, though it has to be said that build quality was variable, and I had to check over a couple of identical models to find one without a banana shaped running plate. That said, if you find a properly assembled version, they really are a fine model.

Edited by Jenny Emily
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Not a 42xx, but I succumbed to a 72xx today. The reason? I had looked forward to one from when they were announced, but was put off by mixed reviews. I considered buying a lot of stuff from Hattons in the Hornby fire sale, but decided that rather than buying stuff simply because it was cheap, I'd support one of the shops Hornby burnt in their fire sale by buying one of these 72xx machines. The one I chose is R3225 in Great Western green, which I believe may be from the first batch? The smokebox dart looks fine to me, despite not being metal, and the unsprung buffers do not detract from the model in any way.

I'm glad to see that Hornby have sorted the double pivot front pony truck that plagued the LNER 2-6-4 tank, and it runs faultlessly through all manner of curves and pointwork. Running is really smooth, even down to a crawl, though it has to be said that build quality was variable, and I had to check over a couple of identical models to find one without a banana shaped running plate. That said, if you find a properly assembled version, they really are a fine model.

This one is from the second batch of models. R3127 was the first GWR Green 72xx. I had R3128 and it took a wee bit to sort out the "ski jump" footplate at the front. By the way, what is your YouTube channel name? Edited by Hilux5972

• RMweb Gold

R3225 is from the second batch, it should have the retooled chassis with brass bearings and separate smoke-box dart.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I've recently started dabbling with DCC sound, and want to attempt to fit a few of my models will Sound. Two of the locos on my list are my 42xx and 72xx. 

I'm currently looking at a esu loksound micro v 4.0 decoder and speaker, which I hope will both fit in the boiler barrel. 

My question is, has anyone fitted their model with sound? If so, is it easy? Much Room inside? 

Any info would be much appreciated.  :mail:  

• RMweb Gold

I have now had my 4287 for about 3 months and am absolutely delighted with it in every way.  It captures the essential brutality of the original well, and runs beautifully, plodding just like a 42xx.  A minor issue was the front coupling, which kept falling out until I fixed it with a dab of superglue.  I will never own enough stock to even begin to challenge it's ability to pull trains.  

My other minor grouse is that I cannot find a way to remove the cab roof or back without potentially damaging the model, which I want to do to put a crew in.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have now had my 4287 for about 3 months and am absolutely delighted with it in every way.  It captures the essential brutality of the original well, and runs beautifully, plodding just like a 42xx.  A minor issue was the front coupling, which kept falling out until I fixed it with a dab of superglue.  I will never own enough stock to even begin to challenge it's ability to pull trains.  

My other minor grouse is that I cannot find a way to remove the cab roof or back without potentially damaging the model, which I want to do to put a crew in.

My cab roof was fairly loose, so I guess I was lucky. Now we've got the ModelU figures, I'll have another go.

• RMweb Gold

My cab roof was fairly loose, so I guess I was lucky. Now we've got the ModelU figures, I'll have another go.

I tried to force mine but gave up when I saw the top of the cab side sheet distorting.  Same problem with my Bachmann 4575.  Removable roofs, please, manufacturers.

• Like 1

I tried to force mine but gave up when I saw the top of the cab side sheet distorting.  Same problem with my Bachmann 4575.  Removable roofs, please, manufacturers.

If you go onto brassmasters website there is a section on the 42xx which might be useful

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A bump for this thread, but for those 42xx,52xx & 72xx addicts out there - Irwell Press's 2-8-0 & 2-8-2 Tank Papers are available at all good books stores. They are an excellent reference guide and also show that straight running plates - weren't always the case..

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I would like to present the latest addition to the collection... GWR 7208 with the GWR 'Grotesque' Sans Serif lettering applied. Finally pleased to have at least one member of the team in this livery. Looking forward to seeing her in the flesh soon... :)

post-605-0-55114800-1528025151_thumb.jpeg

post-605-0-30630000-1528025159_thumb.jpeg

post-605-0-27581100-1528025167_thumb.jpeg

post-605-0-21000000-1528025176_thumb.jpeg

post-605-0-34580600-1528025184_thumb.jpeg

post-605-0-97425000-1528025213_thumb.jpeg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

I am a little surprised that this particular version of GW livery has not appeared on RTR models; it is correct for 2761 which was a Hornby model at one time and produced with the incorrect Egyptian Serif version.  It was applied to Caerphilly works overhauled locos during the wartime austerity period, late 1942-46, sometimes in conjunction with all over black, so while uncommon was far from rare during the late 40s and early 50s, which is quite a popular period to model.  One of the reasons I chose it was because of the livery variations.

• Like 1

I am a little surprised that this particular version of GW livery has not appeared on RTR models; it is correct for 2761 which was a Hornby model at one time and produced with the incorrect Egyptian Serif version.  It was applied to Caerphilly works overhauled locos during the wartime austerity period, late 1942-46, sometimes in conjunction with all over black, so while uncommon was far from rare during the late 40s and early 50s, which is quite a popular period to model.  One of the reasons I chose it was because of the livery variations.

Recently I have been looking into various liveries that I don't currently have and GWR Sans Serif is one of them. Thanks to a RMWeb member, he was able to print me several sets. Eventually the lettering will be applied to a 4200, 5600 and 6600 as well. If anyone wants to know who did me the transfers, please PM me and I will forward him onto you.