Updated list of 4mm GWR coach kits

I've managed to complete a first pass at updating the GWR 4mm coach kit listing. It now includes brown vehicles, which was a significant omission from what appeared before. I have not as yet separated the brown vehicles from the non-brown ones. Fish and Fruit vehicles have been kept in the current wagons page, because their status as brown vehicles varied, and to prevent confusion between the overlapping S diagram letters. The update reflects most of the points raised in the recent thread on Toplights. With reference to the mysterious 'Coach and Castings' attributions in the old listing, I am now in touch with John Palk, so may be able to unearth some further information soon.

There are lots of gaps for introduction dates, mostly pre-1890, so information on these would be gratefully received. Also, I haven't been entirely consistent with body lengths, but I can tidy those up in due course.

Information I'm currently missing:

- The diagrams for the PC range of preprinted Toplights;
- A list of CPL etches;
- The three Fourmil (spelling?) etched clerestory kits issued in the early '80s. I think one of them was a C3 or C4. The other two were IIRC a brake and a brake composite;
- Pendon, Perseverance, MAJ, Mopok, CPL, MTK and Trevor Charlton are not complete.

Pending their re-appearance from Cooper Craft, I've denoted the Blacksmith kits as no longer available.

I couldn't find the following diagrams in the Michael Harris listing: F16, F21 (and the Hawksworth slip), G66, H33, H45, H46, Q4, Q6, Q21 (which I think is the ex-D46 whitewash coach).

Btw, did D&S do an N10 horsebox in 4mm?

I couldn't find the following diagrams in the Michael Harris listing: F16, F21 (and the Hawksworth slip), G66, H33, H45, H46, Q4, Q6, Q21 (which I think is the ex-D46 whitewash coach).

H33 is lot 1349 - confusingly, they preceded H31 and H32.

Fourmill kits range included: C3, D7, R5, S17 & T59

You not got the Westdate kits which include a C54, Hawksworth autotrailer, 57' suburban third, 57'1st/3rd Restaurant and bow end b-set.

• RMweb Premium

I have a 1992 Trevor Charlton list. It gives the diagram numbers of most of them. if you like i can scan it and post it.

BTW, I am currently building a set of seven Trevor Charlton Rhymney Railway coaches. An interesting experience. I think they were bought in about 1992!

Well done, Miss P.   A significant labour of love there!

Can I just point out that there have been two additions to the Comet list in the past six months or so and so they are not on your list.

Diag D95 is now also available as the left hand version,  Comet reference W56  (The right hand version is still available as W7)

Diag E127 is now also available as the right hand version,  Comet reference W57 (The left hand version is still available as W8)

Hope this helps.

Geoff Brewin

Comet Models

There are several Hammond sides missing from the list. He produced most of the L diagram TPO coaches including the clerestories ( I have a half finished L8 and L9 of his on the workbench at the moment. He also produced the  1897 Royal train and these are also missing along with the 'linen' cars from the Royal brakes. He also produced the original articulated first twin A16/17 (noteable for the missing toilet windows corrected for the later A18/9 etches)

The K14-6 body kit listed under both Hammond and 5522 are one and the same kit.

David Geen C27 is listed as NYA. Mine has been purchased and built for some time as has the D43, E80.

There is a range of 4mm etches from the late Carl Legg now marketed by his wife, but I do not have details.

I will dig out my Hammond list when I get home.

I also have the GWSG list from many years ago which is accurate to about 1990 and includes the MOPOK's

Well done. An updated list is well overdue.

Mike Wiltshire

Thanks everyone. Page updated to reflect the above comments, with the exception of Mike's comment*, and I haven't included the Westdales without as-yet identified diagrams. (And we're not going to get particularly excited about Westdales, are we!)

* (1) I'll e-mail Pat Legg to see if she's got a 4mm listing.

* (2) The Hammond inventory is complex, and it looks as though the 'Coaches and Castings' attribution of the previous (John Palk) listing were indeed Hammond - these could therefore include: A38, A44, K19, K41, L13, L18, L22, L23, L24, L25, M17, O7, O11, P16, Q13. (I've no information on the 1897 Royal train or the 'linen' cars from the Royal brakes.)

* (3) I'm aware the Hammond and 5522 artworks for the K14-16 body kit are the same - they have the identical mistake! I suspect the Frogmore could also be the same. (The world of 4mm coach artworks and phototools can be a murky one.)

Btw, can't help thinking a Dean 40' PBV would be a popular, albeit unusual, choice for an plastic kit or even an RTR effort. (So, assuming their moulding bolster is long enough, next time you're writing to Mr Parkside, Neal...)

Regarding Horsetan's comment on Pheonix, I'm aware the SRG supply situation is uncertain, but I think I'll refrain from public website comment pending the SRG making an announcement on the future of the range.

(Edit: on reflection, I've added a footnote about Phoenix.)

Miss Prism,

I just had a look at the list and noted that the David Geen C32 is not listed and the E98 by him is also not on the listing. With regards to horse boxes, I understood that D&S did the N4, N8 and N11 - never seen an N10. A number of the D&S GWR kits have recently been available from Brassmasters - the high and low siphons, the N8 horsebox and the Scorpion.

Regards,

Craig W

Can I just point out that there have been two additions to the Comet list in the past six months or so and so they are not on your list.

Diag D95 is now also available as the left hand version,  Comet reference W56  (The right hand version is still available as W7)

Diag E127 is now also available as the right hand version,  Comet reference W57 (The left hand version is still available as W8)

Are you going to put them on your website so that we know they are available? :scratchhead:

Thanks

Adrian

the K14-16 body kit are the same - they have the identical mistake!

I know this isn't really the most appropriate place to ask but it seems like an opportune moment: what is this mistake? I have some of these kits that were reduced to 2mm and therefore would like to know what I will need to correct. 

Thank you. 

The missing David Geen vehicles are now included (sorry about that, I forgot to do a check on his latest Price List).

Good point about the Brassmasters re-runs of some D&S kits, Craig. I've added a suitable footnote.

Miss Prism, 

I just noticed that the N4 by D&S is missing from the list  :scratchhead:

Regards,

Craig W

I know this isn't really the most appropriate place to ask but it seems like an opportune moment: what is this mistake? I have some of these kits that were reduced to 2mm and therefore would like to know what I will need to correct.

The upper waist moulding on the side doesn't line up with the equivalent moulding on the end. It's about 1mm out in 4mm, at least on the etch I've got. Not correctable in my view. (See prototype pic.)

Mike's K15 custom etch looks very tasty!

Concerning the Frogmore K14-16, this has been in redevelopment for a while, but the whole of the Frogmore development is now I think under something of a cloud following the sad death of their CAD designer, Paul Gram, on 14 May.

The upper waist moulding on the side doesn't line up with the equivalent moulding on the end. It's about 1mm out in 4mm, at least on the etch I've got. Not correctable in my view. (See prototype pic.)

Mike's K15 custom etch looks very tasty!

Concerning the Frogmore K14-16, this has been in redevelopment for a while, but the whole of the Frogmore development is now I think under something of a cloud following the sad death of their CAD designer, Paul Gram, on 14 May.

The K15 appears to being overdone at the moment. David Geen Kits are looking at it. Worsley Works have one. Roxey Mouldings had a test etch on display at Aylesbury. Add to that Frogmore, Dart Castings/shire, K's.

Hammond Linen/Royal K12/3 below. I have sent you a PM with Hammond list.

Note recent announcement from Worsley works regarding new suburban etches

http://www.worsleyworks.co.uk/4mm/4mm_GWR.htm

Mike Wiltshire

post-9992-0-45504400-1370961450_thumb.jpg

There is additional GWR item listed by Trevor Charlton under the LSWR group.67 J 56' Sleeping Saloon (GWR Diagram J4). These coaches were purchased by the GWR. Sadly they did not last too long as they were in the Swindon carriage works during the great fire and were scrapped soon afterwards.

Mike Wiltshire

• 3 weeks later...

Hi OTBL,

No, not many at all. The Ratio 4 wheelers being the most obvious and indeed the easiest to build. Ironically, you can go ahead and replace the chassis, ends and most of the detail with etched brass should you wish!:

http://www.mainlytrains.co.uk/acatalog/exp_mt220.htm

I hope this helps.

All the best,

Castle

All unfortunately NLA, but to add to the list, I have a PC models Brake/Composite E95  (57' Toplight) (IIRC the full range was Bk/3rd, Bk/Compo, Compo, 3rd and Double-ended Slip, available in 1912,1922 & 1928 liveries). (there were also kits of the products of lesser railways, but these don't count!  :)

There were/are also K's kits of a an arc roof 4 wheel third (S2, if I've identified it correctly - AFAIK K's never did!) and a 6 wheel tri-compo clerestory.

I recently acquired some zinc? sides and ends for (again if I've identified them correctly) for an E83 Bk/1st/3rd (ex Bk/1st/2nd/3rd) and an E88 1st/3rd.

There were also ranges of wooden kits by Ratio, CCW and Kings Cross (I have a CCW E73 1st/3rd Clerestory - I actually finished this one! - and a KX E102 70' Toplight. I used to also have a KX 57' Collett 1st/3rd, but this came to an unfortunate end (Don't ask!). Possibly these belong in the vintage/collectable section however!?

EDIT

I've just noticed the E83 and E88 appear on the Trevor Charlton List above. I didn't see them when I looked before.

Archived