The Lofty Heights

silky_jack

Good afternoon.  I am new to this forum so thought I would start brining you up to speed with my layout.  I have been working on it slowly over the last 12 months or so.  It is loosely based around Goathland on the NYMR.  The plan is to model Goathland Station as closely as possible but the rest of the layout will be entirely fictional taking inspiration from other layouts/railways and just incorporating the things I like to see really. :D

This was how the loft looked after clearing etc:

2ebzbmd.jpg

xsr5w.jpg

Whilst this was going on I was working out my final plan.  After much messing about it ended up being something like this:

Showing upper levels in red and ramps in orange:

2vx2hhy.jpg

Lower levels:

24ymijk.jpg

The sidings/loco shed area has since been redesigned again.

Gothland station photos (This is what I am aiming for.  The tracks will be hidden inside the hillside: ;)

es4tuw.jpg

otkfbk.jpg

2rpsjr7.jpg

Around 2 months in I finally got some track down but it was a slow progress due to getting all the rampos done correctly and angles spot on:

2cf8q49.jpg

346m4ud.jpg

Also had to learn how to wire up the PM1 point motors:

4gq6gl.jpg

6i7703.jpg

6zsi1l.jpg

wqy4uq.jpg

w0i6a9.jpg

347ac8i.jpg

aawzz7.jpg

And finally more baseboard construction:

34y1chc.jpg

That takes me up to Dec of last year...I will add more over the weekend if I have time.  

Thanks very much for your interest.

Ian

So pleased you decided to put your work up. Will look forward to the history until you come up to date. 

Another one to tease ;p

Goathland....... always a winner. Your holiday snaps are always useful, so full of information from a modellers point of view.

Welcome to the forums Ian.

It looks like you have made a great start to an interesting layout. I look forward to seeing your build progress.

Funny you should mention the point wiring as I have spent some time today drawing myself a wiring diagram to remind myself how to wire in my points on First Avenue:

e669843905bc9b8d9e46aafac9a67fbc_zps1330

Dave

looks good - just wondering though, how come you only have 1 track leaving the station at the bottom? would 2 tracks rejoining the lower loop not give you more flexibility? and more opportunity to run trains around if that's the objective?

also, how about maybe connecting the two ramps up on the and maybe completing the lower loop? that way if you want to run it as a sort of folded figure of 8 over both levels you can, but then you can also make it two separate loops on an upper and lower level so you could have more trains running? 

good luck with your project 

I like the track plan, looking forward to seeing your layout progress. What size is the layout? 

Regards 

Scott 

Hi Scott,

It's approx 15ft by 10ft.

looks good - just wondering though, how come you only have 1 track leaving the station at the bottom? would 2 tracks rejoining the lower loop not give you more flexibility? and more opportunity to run trains around if that's the objective?

also, how about maybe connecting the two ramps up on the and maybe completing the lower loop? that way if you want to run it as a sort of folded figure of 8 over both levels you can, but then you can also make it two separate loops on an upper and lower level so you could have more trains running? 

good luck with your project 

Hi there, thanks for the feedback....actually it's funny you should mention that as in the final build (more coming up soon) you will see that I did indeed swap the station exit to two tracks.  The reason I was only going to have only 1 originally was just keep in line with Goatland itself.

Here are some more pics of Goathland station just to give you an idea of what I am trying to achieve:

23mmxlj.jpg

rrtwnb.jpg

bbj13.jpg

euq8lt.jpg

That's it for now...will post more asap and at some point over next couple of days I will hopefully be bringing you up to date. 

Cheers

Ian

Hi Silky_Jack, I never read the beginning of your 'other place' post properly, so it is still interesting. Loving the reference pictures on your thread. Check out Sasquatch and his layout called Goathland, if you haven't already. He like you has had a good look at the real geography around Goathland which is reflected nicely in his layout.

Another "Goathland"'! It's looking good.

I'm in the process of planning a similar themed layout. I've just purchased the new Hornby NER buildings, they are very nice. I especially like the platform pieces, I spoke to Hornby last week about the possibility of buying the platform parts to extend and was told it was something they are looking at for the future! Lets see, they must have the tooling?

I've also got the original "Goathland" buildings they did and am quite surprised at the different sizes of the buildings when compared! The new signal box is tiny, I had to check it wasn't an n guage one when I removed it from the box!

I'll watch your thread with interest. Keep up the good work,

Mark

Ian,

Beautiful plan and great work so far - I envy what you have in front of you. I put a scaled-down Goathland on a pair of 4' modules to compliment another pair of modules I built with Hogwarts on it. Here are a copuple of shots of my modules - and I agree with you that Sasquatch's layout is supurb.

Station800.jpg

8006.jpg

IMG_0182tweak.jpg

station.jpg

2dakbd3.jpg

Hi there - thanks for the pics...I saw a lot of your layout within Sasquatch's thread and also thought what a great job you've done and what an good interpretation you have achieved.  That last pic you have posted is of great interest to me as I need to do the same when I build my ramp to the coal/lime drops.  How did you do this particular bit?

Thanks Ian.

My platforms are masonite, and my ramps as well as terrain contours are made from housing insulation foam board sanded to desired shape.

Here is a pre-ballast shot just after base coat painting prior to scenery, water treatment and ballast:

2038nq.jpg

Archived