Arriva Blue ?

• RMweb Premium

Hi People.

I am a real fan of the Arriva Trains Wales colour scheme........... dark blue with white decals and turquoise doors and lining.

I have stripped down three Hornby/Lima coaches down to bare plastic and have set about getting the right paint colours.

Arriva turquoise no problem.

Read a bit about the dark blue on the internet, and in addition to this, somebody contacted a knowledgable friend for me, and the overwhelming opinion seemed to be "Rail Blue".

Got the Precision Paints, Rail Blue, yesterday, and it looks like very dark turquoise......... not BLUE at all.

All photo's on the internet of Arriva stock, appear to be a definite, dark blue, not dark turquoise.

Only one thing for it........... get up at 0500hrs tomorrow 22/8/13 ,( my day off), to get the train to Chester, to meet the real thing @ 0715hrs, and decide for myself !!

Would be grateful for any suggestions.

I am interested myself in seeing any replies you get. I have used rail blue myself on a bus model for the lower blue. It looks close, but not quite right.  Of course, the latest repaints have more of the darker blue, so a good match is more important.

Merf.

• RMweb Premium

Yes.

If you look at an Arriva bus, there are two shades of turquoise.

The lighter colour is used for the bodywork, with a "skirt" of darker tureoise

At the bottom of the bodywork.

• RMweb Premium

I hold my hands up....... admit I was wrong !

Made my rendezvous with the Cardiff - Holyhead Premier Service, and the MK3 coaches, in the latest livery, are definitely Rail Blue (Dark Turquoise).

Even my photo's, (taken in RAW format), render the darker colour as blue, not dark turquoise....... weird.

Was up at 0500hrs, to get to Chester, on my day off.   The things we do for this hobby!

Don't like the light blue doors on the newer livery.

Question:

Are the Arriva Mk2 coaches the same colour as the Mk3's, if not what colour should I use ?

The photo's I took are in my gallery, if anyone is interested.

Your pictures look good to me. Unfortunately my camera does not reproduce Arriva blue well.

I would give Rail Blue a try , with varnish as that is what looks different. The stripes on the coaches and cab on the DVT look like the standard turquoise (bus colour).

If I remember correctly, the Mk.2 coaches were originally in standard turquoise, the new livery being introduced later on them, and then for the Mk.3s. and the Class 57s.

Merf.

Edited by Merfyn Jones
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks "Ragtag".

If you're looking for colours for your bus........... Precision Paints have them all........ Arriva Cream , Arriva Turquoise and the darker colour : Rail Blue.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for your input ewsjo.

I have Rail Blue from Precision Paints, and it doesn't look like either of the blues in your photo.

I agree the Arriva blue looks slightly darker then the BR Blue.

I guess I'll have to use guesswork instead of science, to get the right colour.

• RMweb Premium

Is it unreasonable, or naive, to think that: Bachmann, having produced a very nice model of an

Arriva Class 57, should have produced some carriages to go with it?

I contacted Bachmann to ask about the colours used in the "57" and their reply was

"We source/formulate our own colours".

Really helpful.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Pylonman,

Been looking at this "problem" for a while it certainly changes shade in sunlight! However  Arriva have advised me that the colour is Ocean Blue and its RAL id is 5020.  

I had thought of International blue as used on 47145 but it is a bit dark, Unless Precision can offer a solution then Rail blue will work as an easy solution.

Robert   

• RMweb Premium

Help.

Has anyone out there got a side-on view of the Arriva DVT that I can use ?

I need to get the position and shape for the curve between light and dark

colours on the bodyside on the DVT.

Edited by pylonman

Help.

Has anyone out there got a side-on view of the Arrica DVT that I can use ?

I need to get the position and shape for the curve between light and dark

colours on the bodyside on the DVT.

Pity, today was probably the last chance to get a shot at Chester during middle of the day.  I think I may have seen one on 'flickr'. Try a search for Arriva DVT or similar.

Merf.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the input everybody.

Currently looking for Ocean Blue...... awaiting reply from Phoenix.

Have painted one coach in rail blue, and departed from prototype by painting the doors arriva turquoise.

Funnily enough, the doors look light blue, like the prototype, in the photo.

• RMweb Premium

Tried Flckr for the side on view of the DVT.

Loads of photo's of the dvt on there... got one good, detailed side view..... but just shows the start of the curve.

DOH !

By-the-way, the hand rails of my partially finished coach look extremely bad.......... work in progress !!

(they won't look like that in the finished article)

Edited by pylonman

• RMweb Premium

Hi.

Thanks to Robert Shrives, I have sourced Ocean Blue Ral 5020 enamel, plus thinners from

Paragon Enamel Paints, Yorkshire.

They sell Ral colours, in 500ml size, coach enamel, rather than a minimum of 1 litre as with other suppliers.

500ml paint about £9.00

500ml Thinners about £4.00

plus VAT

Courier

Total approx. £24

Just waiting for delivery...............

• RMweb Premium

Eureka !!

Robert (Shrives) has "hit the nail on the head".

Received the Ocean Blue RAL5020 from Paragon about 1 hour ago.

Straight into the shed to give it a try on a scrap piece of plasticard.

Beautiful colour and gloss, thinned about 1 thinner to 6 paint.

Colour is more of a blue than turquoise, and lighter...............perfect.

Many thanks to Robert !!

Before giving the following info for Paragon Paints, I have to state that I am, in no way connected to Paragon Paints, and

do not seek to benefit, in any way by giving the following info. This info will save anybody interested, the "legwork" I did

on the internet, in order to find Paragon.

The contact is : Paragon Paints

12 Deepdale,

Woodthorpe,

YO24 2SA

North Yorks.

e-mail: orders@paragonpaints.co.uk

Paragon have a website, with colour charts, and will mix paint to RAL numbers, or some other specs. www.paragonpaints.co.uk

The Company also goes under the name "Stationary Engine Parts".

As previously mentioned, minimum quantity is 500ml....... which compared to a Humbrol tin is huge !!! This is better than

some other suppliers, as they will only supply 1 litre minimum........ a waste and expensive !

I purchased 500ml of thinners along with the paint, so there would be no doubt I am using the right stuff.

The coach I previously painted has now gone back into the Dettol, to strip, and then I will be repainting

the rolling stock in the correct colour.

Will post photo's of the finished articles..... possible next week.

Edited by pylonman

• RMweb Premium

Undercoated the stripped rolling stock yesterday, to give a consistent base colour, and just happens to look like the

right colour for the light grey, Arriva roof.

Just sprayed one side of the rolling stock with the Ocean blue, and laid horizontally to avoid any runs.

No grey visible because of masking, and nose of the DVT still grey because this will be light turquoise/ yellow.

Haven't decided, having applied the decals to the gloss surface, whether to over spray with matt or gloss lacquer.

The Bachmann loco is, of course matt finish, but the real thing is high gloss.

Opinions welcome !!!

The camera has not rendered this blue correctly....... the carriages in the photo look more like the FGW blue.

In reality they look good !

Edited by pylonman
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Like a kid at Christmas with a new toy !

Arriva rake coming on a treat.

Just put decals on one side of the restaurant car ; very pleased with the result.

The handrails on the restaurant car were molded into a slot, and very difficult to paint:

I've cut them out, with a view to reinstalling "proper" handrails made of 0.5mm wire.

Doing the same with the MK3's.

This will be much easier to achieve a much cleaner, white handrail, to contrast with the surrounding dark paint.

Very impressed with the level of detail on the Hornby DVT ! There were a lot of bits to be removed before painting.

Edited by pylonman
  • Like 1