1. Dover Priory, Kent.

David Todd

Speaking with Kal, (of the  Albert & Victoria thread).  last week, about his dilemma over his track around Goatheland.

So this is what I did last night............... :butcher:..........Click, pics,to enlarge............

12204063526_ff34eaafb0.jpg

12203856034_802e9dd49e.jpg

12203689303_304be0b288.jpg

12203692033_3fabccbd4f.jpg

More, to follow, later.........

Edited by David Todd
  • Like 3

So what do you think?   I am not sure myself,, Mick tells me spacing is 2'6" on the prototype, but that would be 10mm spacing which would look horrible?

I took some pictures the other day on the ECML, and they do not seem to be very wide apart. Optical illusions no doubt

hHi dt,

Kal seems to have made a very valid point about angles.

Apart from rail height, it is very tricky to tell one from another, particularly in photographs, once scenery is applied,

I confess that after reading various threads, I tried very hard to work out the differences between the various types by looking at the pictures. In the end, I had to Google them in order to find out what the differences were and if I am honest, having done that I still couldn't tell you which was which from a photograph even now.

I have probably offended a whole string of dedicated modellers with that comment and mean them no offence.

Once you get away from very crude old versions the differences are in fact quite small, measured in very small numbers of mm.  At the end of the day, it is a question of what satisfies the modeller and not whether I can tell the difference, which matters.

Same track...........

Left 4.mm spaced.

Right, unspaced.

Not a very good job, of dumping dry ballast, made up for DP. later.

12204681566_f61fb50d85.jpg

12204308453_44dd9f414e.jpg

12204481064_d88796e909.jpg

12204483154_dee364b048.jpg

Thank you, as you said the low the angle the less noticeable, useful to compare

hHi dt,

Kal seems to have made a very valid point about angles.

Apart from rail height, it is very tricky to tell one from another, particularly in photographs, once scenery is applied,

I confess that after reading various threads, I tried very hard to work out the differences between the various types by looking at the pictures. In the end, I had to Google them in order to find out what the differences were and if I am honest, having done that I still couldn't tell you which was which from a photograph even now.

I have probably offended a whole string of dedicated modellers with that comment and mean them no offence.

Once you get away from very crude old versions the differences are in fact quite small, measured in very small numbers of mm.  At the end of the day, it is a question of what satisfies the modeller and not whether I can tell the difference, which matters.

I agree it is very difficult to tell the difference, I wonder what peco normal against another brand would look like, maybe it's the profile, but regardless, I rarely think omg the track looks weird.

• RMweb Premium

What is noticeable more is that the ballast is not up level with the top of the sleepers. This is not a criticism D.T :fie:. just an observation :good:. The reason HO spacing looks ok in OO gauge is because the rail gauge is HO gauge! If you spaced the sleeps so close in P4 that would look wrong too. 

The ballast is the all important bit when it comes to a scale look. In future I will be using N or fine Ballast. My track work gets sprayed with watered down acrylic track colour. And the rails get their sides brushed with a rust. 

I have to agree that it does look much better though ;)

The last time DP was ballasted,was last September 13, looked good, as Lofty sr,had taught me.

But, before Christmas 13, I removed all the trackwork, as you can see,in the background, the track was "bent".

Close up by Eye, Aye........but, the camera, alway's picked it out, so, it had to go.......

Cick pic. to enlarge.......

9961364596_ce05f6fa00.jpg

9955053786_7cbeb1b2f0.jpg

9955048474_4d5569cf0a.jpg

P1000776.jpg

Edited by David Todd
  • Like 3

Having watched Great BritishRailway journey's,"Bradshaws",presented by Michael Portillo, BBC.2.

at,1800 this evening,ending in Rochester.

I wonder, what secret's he will reveal,about Dover, tomorrow night,when he arrives...........let me guess... :no:

Edited by David Todd

So have you decided? Will you continue with the spacing?

Seeing them side by side , I think....... I actually prefer the original :O

For the effort involved, I am not sure I would do it on concrete, maybe on wood it looks different better.

Now if the sleepers were bigger, it may be more of a difference.

But... You can see it in the flesh from more angles than a photograph gives......so...?

Edited by Kal