Broad Street Viaduct in 00

Marc_tramt

In a few weeks time I will start work on a small layout in 00 scale called Broad Street Viaduct. The layout will be 1200x550 mm (about 47x 21 inches) in size and will have only 2 tracks and 0 points on it.

The layout will be part of a larger layout wich will feature only layouts built according to the mentioned size, or multiple layouts of the same size. Each module (or modules) will be built by an other modeller and have a theme and era chosen by the builder. So there will be modules with a Dutch, German or Scottish theme in different era's. The modules will be displayed at the Eurospoor exhibition in Utrecht in oktober 2014. The  module builing is initiated by the Dutch railwaymodellers forum http://forum.beneluxspoor.net/index.php, one of the largerst equivalents to RMweb in the Netherlands. The goal is just to have some fun in building the layouts and showing them to each other on the forum, As I am builing an English theme I thought it might be a good idea to show it here as well. I might get some usefull tips.

The layout I am going to built will be a suburban station 'somewhere' in London in the late eighties. The name, obviously, is a mix between Broad Street and Holborn Viaduct, The layout will feature two through tracks, third rail, a station, car par, some houses and that will be it. I am still thinking of putting some moving vehicles on the road.

My current design:

Broad Street Viaduct layout design

The buildings will be made in cardboard and styrene and mostly by kitbashing. On my tramlayout all buildings are 100% scratchbuilt but as this is an in-between layout I try to win some time by using some kits.

• 2 weeks later...
And work has started on the layout

broadstreet014

First some woodwork. The wood is supplied by a member of the Dutch Beneluxspoorforum who is a furniture maker. Everything is already made up to the right sizes wich makes is easy to work with. It took me an hour to build everything that's on the picture (except the cupboard and the lamp  :sungum: ). Next thing to built is the background and canopy (is that proper English?) and two blackboxes for connection with other modules.

The first building. As mentioned before I am trying to speed up building time by using kits instead of scratch building everything. I am using Metcalfe kits and they can be improved by some small adjustments:

broadstreet016

I have added gray windowsills made of styreen profile and put a strip of styreen to the gutter to make it look better.

At the moment the only EMU in my collection is a Bachmann class 411. I also have a class 108 DMU in Network SouthEast livery wich can run on the layout. Much Dutch modellers won't notice the difference between a DMU and a DC-EMU.....

A Bachmann class 416 is still on my whishlist.

• RMweb Premium

The first building. As mentioned before I am trying to speed up building time by using kits instead of scratch building everything. I am using Metcalfe kits and they can be improved by some small adjustments:

I have added gray windowsills made of styreen profile and put a strip of styreen to the gutter to make it look better.

Excellent improvement to a basic card model.  Which Melcalfe model is this, I don't recognise it?

• 2 weeks later...

That would be nice!

As I am building along I have some questions:

- What colour to use for Network SouthEast-red. Is there a Revell of Humbrol-colour that would be ok?

- Sleeper distance on the Peco code 100 looks a bit short to me. Would 10mm suit better?

• 4 weeks later...

I have added some detail to the Metcalfe houses:

broadstreet024

Added roller blinds, changed window colours and put a housewife behind the curtains.

broadstreet025

The corner shop with the large windows really needs an interior.

broadstreet026

And the finished interior with some small lights in the ceiling.

• RMweb Gold

As I am building along I have some questions:

- What colour to use for Network SouthEast-red. Is there a Revell of Humbrol-colour that would be ok?

- Sleeper distance on the Peco code 100 looks a bit short to me. Would 10mm suit better?

Peco Code 100 is much closer to HO than OO, much to the regret of many British modellers. Code 75 isn't much better, just finer.

There was more than one shade of NSE red. The shade used on the lampposts - which were the first sign of the arrival of the new image - was different from that on rolling stock or buildings. I was told at the time by the architects that the shade in the paint (lead-based?) on the lampposts could not be reproduced as a pantone.

I added one of the low relief shops to the row of low relief terraced houses. To give the shop a little more depth I added some brickwork walls and a flat roof. It gives the shop building quite a different look, in my opinion.

image 1167

• 4 weeks later...

Time for a update. A lot has happend in the last few weeks.

Last weekend I was in Rijswijk (near The Hague) at a Modelrailway exhibition to show the module and get more modellers to join the project.  In the last week before the exhibition I put the track on the module and fixed LED-lighting to the ceiling.

broadstreet032

The layout as on display

broadstreet031

Just for fun another modeller put his German (h0) loco on the tracks.

broadstreet034

Last week I built the Metcalfe platform. The tracks are in a very wide curve with a radius of 5 meter.
The track is Peco code 100 with the sleeper spacing increased to 10mm.

broadstreet035

A DMU in the platform. I think the platform height is just right.

broadstreet036

This weekend I started the station footbrigde. I thought this could also use some extra detail. The handrails are printed but I think real ones look better. :sungum:

broadstreet037

And the first Network SouthEast-red on the layout!

broadstreet038

The stairs could also do with some improved colour. The stairs have been given more of a concrete look, instead of the almost black plastic look of Metcalfe.

broadstreet039

Finally the footbridge itself. The backside will be fixed to the stationbuilding and therefore have no windows. This gives a nice oppertunity to put some posters on the wall.

Meanwhile in Broad Street Viaduct station.....:

broadstreet040

I finished the stairs and the added handrails

After that I started with a Dapol-kit:

broadstreet041

The canopy will be split in two halves, each for every platform.

I am a little disapointed with the way it is produced. A lot of parts are anything but straight....

The canopy will be split in two halves, each for every platform.

I am a little disapointed with the way it is produced. A lot of parts are anything but straight....

See if immersing them in hot water will make them amenable to straightening-out.  

Either that, or judicious use of clamps and flat surfaces when allowing the assembly to dry, are essential.

• 1 month later...
Not much activity in recent weeks but this weekend I had some time to do something.

Scalescenes parking Car park with some changes. It's a little longer and a elevator-shaft (sort of) has been added. There will also be a road running under the builing, hence the partly missing first floor.

I am going to make it even larger on the right-hand side but that wil take a few weeks.

• 4 weeks later...

And some more work has been done on the carpark

image 1470

The shape of the car park is almost finished. I need to add a roof and than it is finished. The wall next to the platform will be a mixture of a concrete frame filled with brickwork. Inspired by Heatham Station.

And some more work done today.

image 1472

The building is made out of foamboard with 0,5mm styreen as concrete. The styrene is finished with a layer of grey primer and a second layer in concrete-colour.

After that is done the concrete structure is filled with cardboard-brickwork.

The final result in place:

image 1474

As told before, inspired by Streatham Station. In particular this picture: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Streatham_station_look_north.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Meanwhile, in Broad Street Viaduct:

Work has started on the retaining wall. I am using a Scalescenes-kit for easy and fast building.

Instead of using cardboard I deceided to use foamboard. Its a bit thicker and therefore easier to make a wall, I think.

And the flip-side. There are some supports added to the back-side.

To get an idea of the finished wall. Alle the buildings are in their final position.

And a view to the other side with the car park also in its place.

Final shot, with added wall capping and buttresses.

And today some more work on retaining walls.

gallery_20699_2963_751605.jpg

There will be a building on top of the walls and above the tracks. Looking at the picture I can see I have used the same piece of wall with graffiti three times.. a bit too much. I need more graffiti to cover up.... ehhh.. graffiti. :sungum:

(Finally found out how to post large pictures......)

• 2 months later...
Right! Let's blow some dust off this topic:

gallery_20699_2963_12370.jpg

Back to work on a somewhat boring office building which will be placed on top of the tracks. A simple layer of transparant styrene with Evergreen strips on top.

gallery_20699_2963_174935.jpg

And some paint on the backside.

gallery_20699_2963_120266.jpg

And a little work done on the layout itself. I have made the terrain behind the platform of some cardboard with a little layer of Sculptamold on top.

Archived