Cwmafon

Michael Edge

I'd forgotten the gravity yard - what I always liked about this layout was how it avoided all the contemporary clichés in the MR at that time, and felt like a model of a proper working railway, not a model railway. 

And I fondly recall 'Falcon', a definitive Newport engine if ever there was one... didn't you have some gorgeous BSC diesels, including Big Alcos and such as well?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'd forgotten the gravity yard - what I always liked about this layout was how it avoided all the contemporary clichés in the MR at that time, and felt like a model of a proper working railway, not a model railway. 

And I fondly recall 'Falcon', a definitive Newport engine if ever there was one... didn't you have some gorgeous BSC diesels, including Big Alcos and such as well?

The SCoW diesels you are thinking of belong to another layout, not mine. Our only transatlantic interloper is this EMD SW1000, an Athearn model with UK buffers added but still HO scale. It hasn't seen much use in recent years, the new Hunslets are much more reliable. I haven't done any of the Port Talbot locos because all of them are some way outside UK loading gauge, not just the Alcos but the Brush/Bagnalls as well. Cwmafon locos have to negotiate some very tight clearances in some places.

post-1643-0-27437300-1384326889_thumb.jpg

The SW1000 and a Hunslet 776hp 0-8-0 outside the steelworks loco shed.

• Like 8

Is the steelworks loco shed based on a particular prototype Michael?, it certainly looks the part. It's good to see an 'extensive'', industrially themed, layout.

The BSC Alco mentioned is probably the one built by Hywel Thomas for his Morfa Bank layout, there a photo of it in this thread;

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/42766-an-alco-question/

• RMweb Premium

Is the steelworks loco shed based on a particular prototype Michael?, it certainly looks the part. It's good to see an 'extensive'', industrially themed, layout.

The BSC Alco mentioned is probably the one built by Hywel Thomas for his Morfa Bank layout, there a photo of it in this thread;

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/42766-an-alco-question/

The steelworks shed is actually based on Pwllheli - more details later.

• RMweb Premium

"The other end looked like this, colliery on a higher level with exchange sidings on the former line at the right. These sidings drop down quite steeply, in fact there are hardle any level sidings on the layout, quite a lot of power is required to lift a raft of full 24T wagons out - and the operators have to be very careful pushing them down. The line to Blaenavon has disappeared under the pit - two dead end sidings in fact."

With the original SJR Mk42 couplings used on the layout full trains did become uncoupled and ran away down the sidings - full 24T wagons are very heavy and being free running the buffer stops at the end of the sidings have been removed more than once... and you do have to pick the right loco to get these wagons out of these sidings...

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The next development was to fill in the end of the layout. The plan below appeared in Railway Modeller, their art department made a few "creative" alterations to my plan, including a goods shed at Cwmafon.

post-1643-0-15671300-1384414749_thumb.jpg

The layout now filled the available space in my long narrow loft, the strange shape of the baseboards at the LH end are where it went out into the window. I've never been known for wasting space.

I now had a complete railway, although it is possible to run trains round on a continuous route this is not normally done apart from testing and the last half hour of some exhibitions. The lower end of the gravity yard has now appeared, with part of a rolling mill alongside. The rolling mill hides the fiddle yard representing the MT&A to Brynmawr. The steelworks traffic now had somewhere to go, previously it was just one road of the traverser and only needed one loco. The traffic pattern ran (and more or less still does, with some alterations/additions) as follows.

Passenger trains run from Newport to Blaenavon (sidings under the pit), these normally cross in Cwmafon station and there is a connecting service (LMS push-pull set) to Brynmawr. Coal empties come up from Newport to the colliery, loads down the valley. Eventually the loaded trains would arrive in one of the fiddle yards to be emptied (by hand). Local coal traffic, much of it in NCB internal user wagons runs on the colliery/steelworks system to the tippler which can take up to 21T wagons. With the completion of the circle steel wagons could run on a circuit, empties run anti clockwise, loads clockwise. the loads are mostly real steel and some of the wagons are white metal kits so once again some considerable power is need at times on the gradients. Since the steelworks is at a higher level, one road on the traverser was turned into a rather precarious looking steep ramp - it wasn't unknown for a lift of wagons to drag a light loco back down and bringing the loaded steel wagons down had to be done with care.

On the LNW side, passenger trains occasionally shuttle between fiddle yards but the operator was usually kept busy sorting traffic for different routes. One additional working now was iron ore. This arrives (most improbably) from the  Abergavenny direction with a banking engine and runs into the yard. The train is now reversed to run anti clockwise to Cwmafon, after arrival in the steelworks the loads are removed and the path reversed.

Many more reasons for traffic have been invented, including excursion trains running direct from Newport to Brynmawr (and presumably beyond), too many to detail here but every time we get the layout out some new moves are found.

All this needed a fictitious map of the area to show how the routes connect so I drew this diagram up.

post-1643-0-85166700-1384416429_thumb.jpg

In practice the Ebbw Vale branch of course joins the Newport line to complete the circle.

post-1643-0-05034500-1384416624_thumb.jpg

post-1643-0-65017000-1384416650_thumb.jpg

post-1643-0-81749300-1384416672_thumb.jpg

A few more "ancient" photos (sorry Barry) from the archives.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

and a very young "Fred" and that Australian Scotsman Mr Nuttall.. and whose that bloke in the black framed glasses??

York show in the Assembly rooms with pillars and non flat floor - added even more gradient to the gradients on the layout.

Gravity yard looks full  - and you didn't mention the way the layout is stocked - just keep adding more wagons....

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

post-1643-0-69842200-1384521341_thumb.jpg

Two Hunslet diesels in the exchange sidings. No4 is the first industrial diesel I built, from plastikard and including an error in th eengine casing - it should be narrower in front of the cab door. Next to it is a brand new 776hp 0-8-0DH, this is a scratchbuilt one, not our kit. The locos are standing on one of the tracks of the abandoned ADR line, now used for coal wagons. The gradient is apparent, as is the one on the tracks behind the locos which goes up to the pit. At least the loaded wagons only come down this one.

post-1643-0-30433300-1384521923_thumb.jpg

An interloper on test, newly built DJH U1 Garratt leaves Cwmafon station towards Blaenavon. The signals do work (most of the time) but they are rather flimsy ones built from Ratio kits.

post-1643-0-94551000-1384522184_thumb.jpg

The GWR's one and only 350hp 0-6-0DE, newly repainted as BR 15100 on trial in Clydach yard. This is the test etch Judith Edge model.

post-1643-0-43982000-1384522318.jpg

The same loco at Cwmafon with a loaded steel train.

post-1643-0-75773700-1384522626_thumb.jpg

Another loco on trial is Taurus, seen here with coke empties from Ebbw Vale. This runs so well that one of our operators was heard to ask for a fleet of them.

post-1643-0-53939100-1384522959_thumb.jpg

Another view from the Newport end of Cwmafon, CISC Garratt arriving in the exchange yard from the steelworks. Behind the loco is the NCB loco depot with HE 16" Dafydd and I think Wee Fergie on the other road. The black coal wagon with the X on the side is one of the internal fleet.

• Like 13