Proposed layout for the new Hornby Sentinel

Just a thought until someone can confirm that these little engines are fine with insulfrog points but here's the plan using Hornby trackork. If not I may have to redesign it for Peco electrofrogs, which are longer and not as tight radius.

post-494-0-42716100-1389382241_thumb.jpg

It's some sort of steel forge and foundry (I'm keeping it a bit vague for now). Lower right is BR access and a cassette system can be used. The other hidden tracks will be accessible from the rear to allow wagon loads to be added/emoved. Traffic in would be steel billets, plate and pig iron. Traffic out will be castings, forgings and pressings.

Comments welcome.

I know Everard Junction said on his You Tube review they are ok but he had to push the pickups closer to the wheels and the track has to be very clean. All of his track is electrofrog except for a couple of Hornby insulfrog points which he used in his shunting layout (where the Sentinel will be working most of the time) 

Hope that helps.

Can I ask why it makes a difference? 

As Electrofrog are designed to provide electricity to all parts on a layout, and are therefore ideal for DCC. But if you try to use them on DC, it is possible, but you may find locos moving even when the points aren't set to.

This is the best I can do with Peco.

post-494-0-24678800-1389389032_thumb.jpg

I did the track before the buildings and backscene so the top point is unneccessary now because it's completely under the buildings and backscene. I suppose it looks better though?

I use insulfrog on my DCC layout and have had no problems. I do use those little clips that Hornby sell however. Not sure if that makes a difference. 

I think they are called DCC Clips. And that does, as it transfers the electricity from one rail to another. So all the rails are electrified at all times!

Your points, are they Hornby or Peco?

I have Peco streamline. Not very electrically savvy as it were so from what I had learned from research the insulfrogs were the lest daunting of the options. I think now I could probably switch to electrofrog. My current set up is not complex just some ovals and sidings really. 

I have Peco streamline. Not very electrically savvy as it were so from what I had learned from research the insulfrogs were the lest daunting of the options. I think now I could probably switch to electrofrog. My current set up is not complex just some ovals and sidings really. 

Right! Hornby produce DCC clips, as they don't make electrofrog points, they only make Insulfrog. So they make the clips as they essentially override the insulators on the insulfrogs, making it electrofrog!

Why not move the wholw track work to the left by say 9 inches, with the rest of the headshunt being on a cassette having passed under a bridge.

Gordon A

Bristol

I don't really want more dangly bits than strictly neccessary. I suppose I could shorten the headshunt and move it all to the left but I'd be restricted to short wheelbase wagons only. I was thinking of being able to get the loco and a bogie bolster on the headshunt.

River Don Works (you know me so well, Mickey! lol) - Another attempt!

post-494-0-15173000-1389394203_thumb.jpg

I think this one will do. It's got enough sidings to make it interesting and it uses only Peco electrofrog code 75 points and track. I've shortened the headshunt but bogie bolsters can still get in the right hand track into the main building.

80104 - The trackwork was done in Anyrail. I took a screenshot from Anyrail, reduced it in size and superimposed the colours on with Photoshop.

Anyrail is far better than that Xtracad rubbish that I used when designing BT&S.

Could you not swap the two and three way points to make the front siding longer?

A Cunning plan, Sir!

And thanks to Arthur's reminder and looking at those photos I have added another siding and a gantry crane so scrap can be removed from BR wagons to a pile and into internal use wagons - if it's a foundry that is, If it isn't it's still extra siding space and the area around it can be concreted as a stock yard and allow transfers to road vehicles.

Each grid square is 1ft.

post-494-0-54552200-1389397009_thumb.jpg

As Electrofrog are designed to provide electricity to all parts on a layout, and are therefore ideal for DCC. But if you try to use them on DC, it is possible, but you may find locos moving even when the points aren't set to.

Only if you don't wire up the layout correctly/competently.

All points work well with both DC and DCC - But only if you wire them correctly.

The only problem for insulfrog points is that silly lump of plastic which isolates one wheel of the loco at at time from any power source and thereby if the point is poorly laid or the loco has poor pickups/suspension everything comes to a standstill.

• RMweb Premium

Right! Hornby produce DCC clips, as they don't make electrofrog points, they only make Insulfrog. So they make the clips as they essentially override the insulators on the insulfrogs, making it electrofrog!

I'm afraid that they don't. The difference between 'electro' and 'insul' frog is down to the material the frog (the V shaped piece where the tracks diverge) is made of. As one may have already guessed 'electro' will be made of a conducting material and can pass current to the wheels of a loco traversing the point whereas 'insul' will be made from an insulating material and will not pass current to a loco whilst it travels over this short section. Hornby's dcc clips will act to make both roads through the point live, but there will still be an electrically dead section over the point frog.

My apologies if this sounds like nit picking, but beginners to the hobby can become confused with pointwork, wiring and how the juice gets to the loco. It's as well to try to make such matters as clear and unambiguous as possible.

Archived