The Buildings of Studley and Astwood Bank

Sweven

• RMweb Premium

Hi Sweven,

There used to be a kit for MR cattle dock fencing donkeys years ago, I can't for the life of me remember the name of the manufacturer.  Digby possibly.

regards Shaun. 

I haven't had much to post, but have not been idle. Many hours were spent drawing out the curved brickwork for the bridge parapets and the arches and the Silhouette Cutter is now busy making its musical tunes - about 2 hours for each parapet but it would take me two weeks by hand. I will probably still have to go over the courses with a sharp implement to open them up slightly.

post-20290-0-97205900-1426632760.png

A view of the drawing and output of the curved brick courses:

post-20290-0-13577800-1426632597.png

And further progress on the structure that will support the brick cladding, fabricated from 1 mm thick plasticard.

The pier cladding (from a South Eastern Finecast sheet) is not glued in place - just trying it out for size.

post-20290-0-84727100-1426717029.jpg

This photograph shows how I cut the arches from the 1 mm thick plastic - using a divider to scribe about half way through and then snapping them out. I've also used this method to scribe brick arches previously for the window openings on the goods shed.

post-20290-0-30872100-1426717027.jpg

The three piers (1) have been cemented together but need their brick cladding. The photograph shows a dry assembly of the piers with the other components. I decided to add the central arched piece (2) for additional strength under the roadway.

post-20290-0-38003100-1427062090.png

The three piers (1) have been cemented together but need their brick cladding. The photograph shows a dry assembly of the piers with the other components. I decided to add the central arched piece (2) for additional strength under the roadway.

attachicon.gifConstruction4.png

Precision modelmaking by a top talent. The way to go.

Cheers.

Allan

Some further progress with the bridge. I had a computer melt-down that took a couple of days of reconstruction, so these photographs span the last week.

Firstly attaching the piers to the elevations.

post-20290-0-99261500-1427794427.jpg

A view with both sides attached and the decking loose on top as a test. Mush of the work was in cladding the sides due to the hump-back nature of the bridge and the curved courses of bricks. The strips without bricks at the top of the piers will have their detail fitted once the internal arch cladding is fixed in place.

post-20290-0-27961900-1427794424.jpg

The first of the brickwork for the underside of the skewed arches in place - held for now by its own spring action. This provided me with a good illustration of the issues the Victorian engineers faced when building skewed arch bridges as the forces of the arch are not perpendicular to the piers and want to twist the bridge very slightly out of square. Cementing the deck in place will solve that as it will keep the sides parallel. To make sure I have also spent this evening adding additional internal bracing.

post-20290-0-26264000-1427794416.jpg

Cheers

John

• RMweb Gold

Hi John, we are both at the same stage, and I have found it more of a challenge to build than I thought. I found the same problem with the twisting action,I will post my progress so far later.

I am pleased that I do not have to cope with the curve of the bridge that you have. I think that I have enough scrap left to build another bridge :scratchhead: All the best Adrian

Looking brilliant. I always enjoy watching bridges being built. Excellent work so far. Are you using SE Finecast sheets?

Hi freebs,

Yes I decide to use the South Eastern Finecast sheets for the bridge as their sheets are larger than the Slater's "A4" size sheets (that I used for most of the other buildings) and my bridge is slightly longer than 300 mm. The SEF sheets are also thinner which I thought might be useful as I needed to curve the brick courses and also create the arches.

Cheers

John

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

John, I must apologise most profusely for not having come across this thread before now.

I have spent a few hours today reading through it, and it is just pack full of superb modelling, not only the buildings and other headline items, but the little details are just exquisite.

The oak tree on it's own is worthy of applause, but all your modelling is just so well observed and realised.

Absolutely brilliant, rest assured I'm now following avidly.

Al.

Hi Al, Thanks for taking the time to read through it all and for your feedback. I must apologise too, I haven't visited your thread for quite a while (since you started the Bedford lorry I think) and have missed quite a bit. Particularly loved the Cam-Truck video and the vehicle weathering but the greenhouse, watering can, mower and barrow are my favourites - the little things!

Cheers

John

The past week has disappeared with very little time for completing the bridge, but I managed some painting over the weekend. Still more to do, but here are some progress shots. Using the same technique I used for the buildings, I first painted bricks using various Humbrol oil colours. Here is a close-up before adding any "grout":

post-20290-0-28674000-1429489097.jpg

And then the next day I added some light-grey poster paint as grout. The arches still need work as I experimented with engineers blue bricks and then decided that that was not correct and have started repainting them...

post-20290-0-70944000-1429489094.jpg

Finally I really wanted to see how it would look "in situ" as compared to the original 1910 photograph of the station and bridge. The only problem is that the baseboard does not currently extend far enough to accommodate the bridge so I balanced it on some books, added a piece of white card as backdrop and a loose piece of rail (hence the strange disconnect in the track)!  Getting there...

post-20290-0-96619300-1429489091.jpg

The brick painting is not only superb from a technical point of view, but the colors are exactly what exist in the area (when Staffordshire Blues are not used!).

Which caused me to ponder.  The LNWR and GWR both liked to use Staffordshire Blues in Warwickshire and the Midlands in general.  The MR not so much.  Could that be because the MR had less access to Staffordshire?  I know that not all blue engineering bricks came from Staffordshire but their origin was the blue clays in the Etruria Marl which forms the foundations for the Potteries.

Slightly off topic but the GWR's North Warwickshire line, mostly built in Edwardian times, used blue bricks for all bridges except one.  The owner of Umberslade Hall, near Tanworth, insisted that his bridge be made of stone to match the Hall itself.  The GWR complied.

Coincidence Sweven that we should both be building bridges.

Anyway, it's alright for you mate, I've got loads of 'em to build !

Can't disclose any  details yet or put up pictures  'till I get the all clear to do so.

Cheers.

Allan

The brick painting is not only superb from a technical point of view, but the colors are exactly what exist in the area (when Staffordshire Blues are not used!).

Which caused me to ponder.  The LNWR and GWR both liked to use Staffordshire Blues in Warwickshire and the Midlands in general.  The MR not so much.  Could that be because the MR had less access to Staffordshire?  I know that not all blue engineering bricks came from Staffordshire but their origin was the blue clays in the Etruria Marl which forms the foundations for the Potteries.

Slightly off topic but the GWR's North Warwickshire line, mostly built in Edwardian times, used blue bricks for all bridges except one.  The owner of Umberslade Hall, near Tanworth, insisted that his bridge be made of stone to match the Hall itself.  The GWR complied.

Hi Paul,

Thanks for that feedback - it's always good to hear that the colours are reasonable because I am technically 'shade-blind' and have trouble with reds/greens/browns and with blues/purples unless the light is really good.

It is an interesting question you raise about the MR and their access to blue bricks. From the black and white photographs I have of the bridge at Studley Station it appears to be similar tones to the red brick of the station buildings, although the Railway Roundabout stills I have shown previously suggest the arch may be blue brick. The other reason I experimented with blue bricks is because of the next bridge up the line (still standing) where Green Lane meets Brickyard Lane ("https://www.google.co.nz/maps/@52.275929,-1.913763,3a,75y,64.87h,78.53t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1skEdiFnpvGp8ZEWIQzIfzKQ!2e0?hl=en").This view is copyright Google Maps:

post-20290-0-94518900-1429566471.png

It would seem likely that all bridges constructed around the same dates were built from the same materials, but also possible that the station bridge was matched to the station buildings. I will stick with red bricks at the moment because I prefer them, but continue to look for other clues.

That is a great story about the bridge near Umberslade Hall, it shows the influence that landowners had when the lines were being constructed.

Cheers

John

Hi john,

The bridge looks great. Do you fancy making another one in kit form for me.

Regards Steve

Hi Steve

I need a break from bridges for a while (not sure how Allan churns things out so quickly) but if you can wait long enough I would be happy to make you a kit. Very happy to share my completed drawings/dimensions if you want to have a crack yourself.

One thing I found using the South Eastern Finecast sheets that I didn't mention above is that the bricks on their sheet that includes arches are not precisely the same as the bricks on their plain sheets (English bond in both cases).

Cheers

John

Coincidence Sweven that we should both be building bridges.

Anyway, it's alright for you mate, I've got loads of 'em to build !

Can't disclose any  details yet or put up pictures  'till I get the all clear to do so.

Cheers.

Allan

I needed a "Waiting with great anticipation" feedback button for that one - sounds like a good project for you. Looking forward to seeing the results!

Cheers

John

Archived