Marine Park

ianblenk

The layout supposes the railway ran beyond South Shields Terminus along the bank of the Tyne to serve staiths and ship yards.

The scenic section is only 3' 6'' and will have examples of the Harton Railway and 3rd rail electrics. Please excuse the unfinished state.

Edited by ianblenk

As you can see still lots to do, next task is to put the overhead on the Harton Line. Two building projects to finish, one is Harton No 15 from a J. Edge Kit, I should have had two Black Beetle motors but opted for just one, will need to pack it out with lead. Can anyone help with liveries?

When delivered I think 13 & 15 were in black and 14 in Royal blue, however all my photos are from the early 1970's onwards. When delivered did they carry any yellow warning panels or were they just in a plain livery? I'm guessing the black ones were lined out in red. I spent years on colliers running to Harton Staiths and had many conversations and cab rides, but never asked about liveries!

Also am starting South Tyneside MLV, the building of which is well documented elsewhere on this site, but does anyone know where I can buy jumper cables etc for the cab fronts, I could make my own, but that way lies madness. Will post photos as I make progress, which I have to say is usually glacial, I also have a building to finish for the Newcastle layout Port Solway, I hope they aren't in a hurry!

Thanks guys.

Ian B

Edited by ianblenk

• RMweb Premium

Hi - South Shields native here....ex-pat!

All the EE/Baguley electrics were very dark blue on delivery - lined red.  Then were painted all white with inverted V's in black, then all were bright green with yellow ends, then some were blue again with wasp stripes!

Sorry the white one is 4   3 not one of the EE's, but I don't have shots of them in white.

post-10195-0-13151200-1395435938.jpg

post-10195-0-43636800-1395435959.jpg

post-10195-0-63869800-1395436004_thumb.jpg

post-10195-0-36999100-1395436020.jpg

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Like 3

Hi Neil,

Thanks for posting the photos and the livery info. It was the location of the last photo (Westoe Road?) that inspired me to build Marine park. I will post my interpretation of it. I always found the railways around S.S. fascinating. I took many photos whilst incarcerated in Dr Winterbottom Hall doing my 'tickets' I was fortunate enough to get some of the Ruston down at the blockyard. Alas most of these went missing during a house move back inthe 80's. Whilst loading at Harton I always found the railway staff most helpful and very pround of the railway and its locos. Frank(?) Bond especially, he gave me a tour around and arranged for cab rides up to St Hilda's sidings. Happy days!

Thanks

Again

Ian B.

Hi Neil,

This is as close as I could get to your photo, please  excuse the unfinished EE. I didn't go for the renderd brickwork on the bridge abutments as I thought it was too untypical.

Ian B

post-6265-0-75745600-1395688489_thumb.jpg

Edited by ianblenk
  • Like 5

The Durham Light Infantry arrives to take the express fish as far as York. My Grandfather was in the DLI in the First War so I thought this was appropriate for the centenary.

post-6265-0-33273400-1395688712_thumb.jpg

Edited by ianblenk
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...

Tyne Dock Q6 busy at Marine Park, It is just about finished from a Dave Alexander Kit which I have had for over 10 yrs! I have laid the third rail and next task is to complete MLV E68000. I have been invited to Birtley in March 2015, although basically complete, I have quite a bit of stock to finish, namely a J77 and J27, plus adding servo to the signal and fitting Spratt & Winkles, I prefer 3 link, but the guys who help don't!

Plenty to do.

post-6265-0-74227800-1408002353.jpg

• Like 2

More Q6. I have rebranded a couple of Dapol 21 tonners in 'Harton' livery', not strictly correct as they should be Chas. Roberts wagons, however building these will have to wait, sorry to all you Harton fans!

post-6265-0-39384100-1408002695.jpg

• Like 2

Bronzino with lipped funnel passes Marine Park box after arriving with a Saturdays only stopper from Leeds. After turning she will be diagrammed for empty stock working back to her home shed of Heaton. It has obviously been a rough ride as the over scale chunky head lamps have shaken off somewhere along the route. Must get name board on the cabin. Lamp and yard huts still need to be added

post-6265-0-90562700-1408369148.jpg

• Like 1

A Tyne Dock 9F picks up empty minerals. When not being used to run up to Consett they got all over the place, there is even a photo of one at Chester. Someone will know the answer to this question, modifications were made to the cab roof of these locos, possibly to 'protect' against falling ore under the loader at Tyne Dock, does anyone know what the modification was? Also did the 01 and Q7 have any similar mods?  Thanks .

Ian B

post-6265-0-81851800-1408627137.jpg

• Like 2