D200 from Bachmann D211

Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold

The prattling has to stop - time for some action!

Having cleared the workbench of the 6 projects lurking there

post-7138-0-73694000-1395866266_thumb.jpg

post-7138-0-60590700-1395866254_thumb.jpg

Its time to start D200 to the same standard.

So tonight its off with the body and out with the glazing - further updates to follow

Phil

Hi Phil,

This I will watch with interest.  I have vivid memories of riding behind this particular loco over the S&C from Carlisle to Leeds one glorious summer day in 1985.

As I am modelling Carlisle I was considering taking the knife to a Bachy D211 as well, but needed to do my research (on what needs doing!!) first.

Cheers,

Tom

• RMweb Gold

Hi Tom

Yep she was a bit of a celeb by then wasn't she!

I'm going back a bit further than that thought to the late 60s - she was blue by May 1970 so will predate that, 1969 I think, she appeared through Worcester on a lunch time Bescot - Gloucester freight

Theres some gen on what to do and also links to photos in the Bachmann class 40 thread on here but my efforts will be on this thread

Cheers

Phil

• RMweb Gold

So last night -

Off came the body - 8 screws, no problem there

Out came the cab bulkheads - two tiny screws on each, again no problem

Out came the glazing. I use the end on a paint brush to exert gentle pressure inwards - the body side windows were compliant, cab windows less so. I think this glazing is thinner than that previously used, a bit of cracking has appeared but nothing I hope a coat of klear wont disguise once refitted.

Then tonight off came the nose end lamp irons - the body is cast in green plastic so once polished up not much evidence that they ever existed. Dissected them off carefully with a new scalpel blade then polished the area carefully with one of those multi grade nail pads - 6 grades from coarse to final shine - on a single soft pad, raid SMBO's beauty box if you don't have one on your modelling bench! Reckon I will get away without touching these areas up once a coat of varnish has been applied.

post-7138-0-53794000-1395953045_thumb.jpg

Then the hand rails on top of the bonnet had to go - easily pulled out, holes filled with squadron putty and sanded flat with aforementioned nail pad. Will touch up with railmatch green prior to varnish - varnish and weathering will disguise any tonal variation.

post-7138-0-21651100-1395953058_thumb.jpg

And now its out with the model strip and off with the printed name plates, numbers and OHLE flashes. Not worried about the works plates as those will give me correct orientation when I cover them with some of Extreme Etching's lovely VF works plates. Better go and tidy up workbench whilst the model strip works its magic

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Lee

So 1 hr later - the body shell has been in a cling film wrapper to keep the model strip - carefully applied to the target areas - damp.

And heres the result - a totally anonymous loco with unblemished bodywork. That's the best number removal I have ever seen - probably because there is no paint on the model itself, just coloured plastic.....

post-7138-0-55791300-1395956113_thumb.jpg

I think it was Enterprisingwestern who said let model strip be your friend... on this basis better take out a prenup agreement!!!

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Cheers TT - imagine they would without damage, I did try the fingernail test first but nothing budged that easily so out with the chemicals....

Looking forwards to seeing your incarnation of the old girl in GFYE too !

Out with the masking tape and rattle cans for the warning panel tonight

Phil

Hi Phil.

Nice work so far, I think I might be tempted with D211 and do D200 myself. I would be doing it as it was in the 80s with Yellow ends. I have my Lima D200 in bits at the moment to and have a Bachmann class 40 chassis to slide under it but I might have a re think.

Cheers Peter. 

• RMweb Premium

Hi Phil

Pre-coloured plastic? Is it a backward step or were Tri-ang ahead of their times? I am not a plastic expert but I should imagine that getting the right combination of bits and bobs pre moulding must be a nightmare if the colour is to come out correctly.  

Strange nobody mentioned this on the Bachy class 40 thread. Perhaps that's where this post should be.

I do wish I could get BR green sheets of plastic card make my loco building easier, I hate painting.

Just had a thought, does the model come with frost grilles. D200 in 80s Livery had them.

Cheers Peter.

Yes mate, come with frost grilles.

Hi Lee

It appears Phil's D211 does. So is it only the all green locos so treated?

Sorry Clive, not quite understanding your question?

Hi Phil.

Just up my street this kind of thing, so I'll be coming along for the ride which is, unfortunately, something I never got to do in BR service. I redressed the balance with a very enjoyable run behind 40145 from York to Edinburgh, out via Manchester and the WCML and back via the ECML a year or two back. The run between Edinburgh and Berwick was, for me, something else!

Cheers.

Sean.

• RMweb Gold

To clarify

The base colour of this loco is green

And Internally every bit of exposed plastic is - green

And where I cut the lamp brackets off the plastic underneath is - green

Have scarred the roof inside the model and cant get past the green!

Which leads me to the conclusion its moulded from green plastic with no green paint anywhere

What colour are the 40141s under the blue I wonder - and what colour did your nose ends strip back to Lee?

Cheers

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Lee - so not the loco body colour then

I suppose having self coloured plastic reduces labour costs and reduces potential for surface damage - fine as long as colour is right and this looks OK to me

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Welcome on board Peter and Sean!

Single return or rover ticket?

Never had that much 40 mileage myself - York - Newcastle - Carlisle - Settle - Lostock Hall behind 40109 on a railtour and the Infamous East Anglian behind 40057 - during which we dreamed up a whole new set of expansions for the operators F&W Railtours given that it was a no heat loco in January! - and the free re-run behind 40006 come to mind....

However took my life in my hands tonight and squirted on the yellow panels - Railmatch warning panel yellow over Tamiya pink primer. I knew the masking would be an issue given that there are so many 3d mouldings on the nose end so close to the panel lines...used blue tac to mask where the panel has to curve around the upper marker lights, worked pretty well.

Just as a reminder heres how it should be

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40263244@N04/6639918873/in/photolist-b7KjxT

And heres my efforts

A end

post-7138-0-97434700-1396040137_thumb.jpg

And B end

post-7138-0-05718900-1396040149_thumb.jpg

A bit of tidying needed but I have had worse results! And that camera is cruel.

So will leave that paint to dry well tonight - and start on the extra detailing. Oh and the keen eyed might notice that the outermost fittings on the doors have gone - were these latches to hold the doors back when opened? Any way D200 - 09 don't seem to have them

Cheers & thanks for looking in again

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Hi Phil

The outer catches were for LMR named trains headboards. The inner ones were for holding the doors open. The doors opened almost a full 180 degrees.

Not all the production locomotives with disc headcodes had the headboard catches. http://www.flickr.com/photos/64518788@N05/12558071453/in/pool-cfas/ I wonder if they were NER allocated locomotives when new.

Edit. Some of the center headcode locos had the headboard catches, one either side of the handrail above the heacode window. http://www.flickr.com/photos/72996689@N02/11104488583/in/pool-cfas/

Archived