Weald and Downland Tudor Market Hall

• RMweb Gold

Hi there

Allan Downes has started a new competition to create a Tudor building within three months using whatever means necessary.

I don't need a Tudor building as there are none knocking around Wainfleet, Lincs, where my layout is based, but sometimes that can be all the more reason to give it a go! I'm not 100% sure how I'm going to do this, but I've an idea that foam board might be used in it as I have a load of it from when I used to print and frame photographs. Also there may be balsa wood, but I'm not 100% convinced about that yet. I'm doing this at the same time as doing other projects, so this might take a while.

Anyway, this is what the photo looks like:

7815278178_9d04b4b8f8.jpg

Market Hall and Upper Hall by cazjane97, on Flickr

I've been looking at a lot of photos, and I've been manipulating some in Photoshop until they were crying for mercy. The upshot is that I now have three sides that are all square and more or less the same size so that I can use them to check my build against. One thing you'll notice is that this building is nowhere near square, so once I have the plans sorted out, I'm not planning to use the computer very much of anything, the only thing I can think of using the Silhouette Cameo cutter for is cutting out tiles and bricks - there are a *lot* of tiles!

The more I look at this, the more it looks like one of those wooden interlocking puzzles...

cheers

Jason

post-14192-0-46156900-1399866945_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

I visited the Weald and Downland Museum a few years ago. I don't remember looking at the back of the building to see if it was any different however, and the guide book shows the same view as you have.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mike

Thanks very much for those. The only image I can find of the back is this one which was taken when the Market Hall was on its own.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3120457

I can't tell what the brickwork looks like, but it'll be OK though as it shows the frame.

cheers

Jason

All the brick infill on the building is a replacement, when the building was transferred to the museum all the brick infill had gone.

• RMweb Gold

Ah, so there might not necessarily have been any brick showing in the first place, it could gave been just "plaster". At the very least, I'm not worried about the authenticity of the brick infill at the rear. Thanks for letting me know.

• RMweb Gold

Cheers Phil - those timbers look pretty substantial.

Well I've not done too much, but I've managed to get some rough drawings I can work with - basically an expanded set from before. The elevations are, clockwise from the top right: inside (corridor) right, back, outer right, front, left. I've tried to keep the crookedness of the right end the same as that as the right inner end.

post-14192-0-77013700-1400047070_thumb.jpg

I'm open to suggestion, but I think I'm going to assume that the market area is about 8ft high. There aren't many photos out there with people on, but I think the one below suggests that height

http://sucs.swan.ac.uk/~cmckenna/ttff/wealddown/buildings/market_hall1.jpg

Next step is to take the paper off the foam board to see if I can use that before having to buy something else. There seems to be some interesting stuff knocking around Lee (Freebs) is doing some great stuff with a type of foam board.

cheers

Jason

• RMweb Gold

Thankyou, I'll have to wait until I get on my computer though, as the link opens into Google Maps.

In the meantime, I've been looking into the dark corners of the internet for an effective way to remove the paper from the foam board I have. I've tried three methods. First I dunked the foamboard into a bowl of water, left it for an hour, and then tried yo pull the paper off. Well the top part of the paper came away leaving the paper closest to the board still firmly stuck on. Using my fingers I rubbed at this and washed the board under the tap until I thought I'd got it all off. This is the sample on the middle in the photo.

I took another sheet and soaked it for an hour again. This time I let it dry overnight, and the paper pulled off cleanly with no rubbing required. The is on the right. Hopefully you can see the differences in the surfaces.

post-14192-0-84416100-1400165040_thumb.jpg

My third method was to try soaking in rubbing alcohol, but as the water is already paid for, the second method worked, and I'm cheap, I'm going to go with method two.

Archived