Birch Green TMD

Kingy365

I am currently in the process of starting to build a new 00 layout based on a modern day EWS/DB Schenker TMD, with the usual mix of battered EWS wagons and dirty locos coming in for maintenance, combined with the usual conjoined Network Rail depot with vans and other clutter!!

Progress is slow as being a university student, money is tight, however I have made a start on the layout and am awaiting a delivery of new track to finish off the depot track plan. (I will post a photo once the track is completed)

Here is a photo of my recently acquired Hornby 08, in EWS livery. I saw this exact one shunting at Westbury last week, so it's good to see it's still in use now! I weathered it myself using some of Humbrol's new weathering washes, and has created a fairly good finish that I am proud of!

2f771f63d267b2246fa06f942b19b910_zps7ab9

Here is a picture of a Norscot 1:87 Cat excavator, which I have added Balfour Beatty logos to. It is my intention to make this into a road/rail excavator over the coming months, so watch this space for further updates!

823b4d0682a41c04723b61c5fbc1a25c_zps5989

Here is a pic of an Hornby EWS Seacow which has been weathered by myself. I am very proud of the way this has turned out, and in my eyes looks very very realistic! I will post more pictures up when the track is down- and I have bought and weather another few seacows

ca9b38b0ddf562f4e192c6041056bda5_zps0148

This is an Oxford Diecast 1:76 Network Rail Ford Transit van, which I have modified by adding a rear step, rear floodlight and air circulator. I have also detailed the cab with a hard hat and some hi viz jackets

60f83930751a608ddb65352fa23d47b2_zps80b0

bba9eca4a0bdb8f31bb27df994505029_zpsf504

So I will post again with some more photos once the track is completed- and if anyone happens to see a Class 66 for sale in EWS livery, please share the link with me!!

Thanks

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, just a quick update to proceedings with Birch Green!

I have been on holiday for the last two weeks with my girlfriend, so there isn't much to post! I am still awaiting delivery of track and points, and also waiting to finalise the actual layout of the TMD- i.e. where to put the fuelling point and the engine shed.

In the meantime, here are some pictures of my two Dapol Network Rail JNA Falcon ballast wagons- I hope to add to the fleet soon! One of these came pre weathered, and the other I did myself this afternoon with Humbrol weathering washes- see if you can tell which is which ;)

IMG_0622_zpsf7dc431d.jpg

69f00611c697e355b534b03a4078bc59_zpsaeba

f3996233a146941c34767a19de9dc706_zps9e98

So that's it for now! I will post more when the track is eventually down, and will keep you updated with the layout 

Chris

Road Railer:

As mentioned in one of the above posts, I was planning to make the CAT excavator into a Balfour Beatty Road/ rail excavator, and after a while in the making, I am happy to share it with you!

Here is the excavator before work started

823b4d0682a41c04723b61c5fbc1a25c_zps5989

And here is the finished road railer, complete with working rail wheels!!

IMG_0695_zpscfd53014.jpg

IMG_0697_zps99484472.jpg

IMG_0699_zps873c702e.jpg

IMG_0703_zps850e9a0e.jpg

So there you have it! One Balfour Beatty Road/ Rail excavator! If anyone has any questions about it or if anyone wants me to convert an excavator into one, then let me know!!

Chris

• 4 weeks later...

After quite a while with no updates, I am pleased to give you the latest updates on Birch Green!! It is going to be mainly pictures, but hopefully will give you all a good idea of the track plan and the layout design

IMG_0819_zpsd9569bd5.jpg

A view onto the TMD shed road with visiting 66702.  ( A shed will be arriving in the post in the next few days!)

IMG_0817_zps5e953c94.jpg

Pilot man gives instructions to the duty shunter

IMG_0815_zpsed308333.jpg

An overview of Birch Green so far. Another siding is being installed near to the digger!

IMG_0814_zpsbb0032d3.jpg

A view of the two roads adjacent to the shed ( Double shed going where 66702 is)

IMG_0812_zps741f6ca3.jpg

A view of 08799 and a battered MHA Coalfish wagon from the inside of the DB Schenker depot

IMG_0809_zps15e58f19.jpg

A 'realistic' shot taken through the fencing outside the Network Rail depot

IMG_0808_zps80114fb3.jpg

A view from outside the NR depot

IMG_0807_zps2aa20761.jpg

66702 awaits permission to cross into the TMD, whilst 08799 shunts a rake of MFAs

IMG_0805_zpsc181fd0f.jpg

Resident 'Gronk' passes some battered and worn out Seacow wagons

IMG_0803_zpsc2c69096.jpg

37418 awaits permission to exit the TMD light loco

IMG_0794_zps60fea27c.jpg

First GBRf 66702 rests in the depot road next to the DB Schenker hardstanding

So there you have it! Some pictures making it actually look like a TMD!!! Hope you all like it- please give me any feedback etc

Chris

Looks realy great my mate!! another modern image follower here :senile:  :locomotive:

Cant wait for more from this now :senile:

cheers neil..

Thanks Neil, hope you enjoy the next update!

Great looking TMD lots going on. Nice mix of different locos. I'm a modern imager too. You defo need a EWS 66, I've got one with SWD sound decoder and it sounds great. Keep up the good work

Thanks Keith- Check the next update- I bought one this week! Could you post me a link to the SWD decoder? Have been looking into it and am very keen to get one!!

New shed and loco! 

IMG_0853_zps321995c4.jpg

Latest purchase: 66200 in EWS livery

IMG_0840_zps2f7e6b48.jpg

An overview of the hardstanding- (a fuelling point will be going in the area that isn't covered)

IMG_0834_zps641ffaf1.jpg

Gronk rests amid shunt movements next to the loco shed

IMG_0838_zps7b13b503.jpg

08799 rests awaiting more duties

IMG_0828_zps812724f3.jpg

A view down the two shed roads

I am currently running this layout as DC control, but my next purchase will be buying all that's required to convert it into DCC. I am planning to convert my EWS 66 to a sound loco- (the GBRf one is my friend's loco and is already sound fitted). I am also tempted to convert the 08 into DCC Sound. If anybody has had any experience with Sound chips in an 08 please let me know- is it worth it?!

I will report back once a few more scenic items have been added- hope you enjoy the latest update!!

Chris

Who make's the loco shed please?

Interested to know too.

It's looking great, some brilliantly observed and placed details.

Hi guys, the loco shed is by Bachmann Scenecraft. Ehattons have a few left in stock I think, but they were quite pricey! Worth it though I think! Many thanks for your kind words

I would like to see one of those sheds (or something similar) produced in 7mm scale by Bachman/Heljan etc - Yeah, Dream On.

Cheers, Bob.

That'll be well over £200 for that if they made it Bob!! I think over £70 for this shed in 4mm is criminal!

Chris

I think you are right chris, but that's not bad when you consider the price we have to pay for Loco's - I was hoping that Skytrex would bring a kit out of a modern-ish depot, but nothing yet.

Cheers, Bob.

I would like to see one of those sheds (or something similar) produced in 7mm scale by Bachman/Heljan etc - Yeah, Dream On.

Cheers, Bob.

Scratchbuild - or a commission by someone?

7 mil materials widely available

Would look good  - agree..

Ian

Yep ,you can always make your own.but in my experience of making a shed recently, you won't get much change out of £50 -60

Anyway after buying plastic cladding, basswood, paint etc.

That Bachmann shed is clearly modelled on the refuelling shed at ripple lane in East London as it was in 70s/80s

Archived