LMS/ Midland tenders

sej

Hi, does anyone know anything about Midland tenders? You may have to have a bit of the deductive powers of Sherlock Holmes for this one I'm afraid.

I'm modelling a Johnson class 1142 2F, specifically No. 58213 as seen at Craven Arms in BR days. It has a cab tender fitted and everything looks pretty hefty. Could anyone tell me if it is a 3500 gallon one, or a bit less. I'm pretty sure it's not the 2350 gallon one that came with the kit.

Cheers

Simon

I suspect it's a 3250 gallon tender but can't confirm it. It's very similar to the 3250 gallon tenders fitted to the 3Fs. There is another photo of 58213 in Midland Locos Vol 4 by Essery and Jenkinson. Plate 190. This says it was a 1357 class and running with the tender cab "was rather rare for a 2F in the British Railways period."

Thanks Adrian, I agree that it probably is a 3250g, all of the pictures people have led me to show it looking pretty big. So I'll build one and see!

Cheers

Simon

OK, on the grounds that the only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask...can anyone tell me what the two structures on the curve of the 2F's firebox are ? (I'm thinking that they are analogous to Great Western mud-holes without the little domed covers.) Does anyone do a 4mm casting or has anyone got a nice close-up shot so's I can scratch-build a set?

Cheers

Simon

Archived