West End Workbench

Today what modelling time there was was spent on the C7. There are a multitude of pipe runs on the loco which I wanted to fit after lining as it would have all been in the way otherwise. I've left it all unpainted for the photos below:

DJH_C7_706_7_zpsudpydnxf.jpg

DJH_C7_706_8_zpsxb352r79.jpg

The bunch of pipes on the LHS will be attached after painting. The pipe run goes along the handrail - it may have been attached to the stanchions - and there was no way I was going to manage to paint those without getting it all over the lining with them in situ. Irritatingly, I found my Railmatch Doncaster Green had dried up when I went to use it after taking the photograph, so there will now be a short delay while I source a replacement.

PD_LNE_grain_hoppers_zpscls9b8c7.jpg

I also did some wagon repairs to the Grantham stock - a W iron had come off a cattle wagon and these grain hoppers had never been glazed. To be correct for the LNER era the end windows need to be reinstated but I had no liquid glazing until Nottingham show. While I had them in hand I also cut back the weathering - the photo has brought out the red tone over the rest, but they were too heavily done and needed a bit of cleaning up.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 7

Pleased to report that a short test run of the C7 on Monday was successful. Over the weekend, I dug out the Grantham carriages which were sans interiors - I built them in a bit of a hurry for Stafford and so now's the time to finish them off.

I batch built a set of BCK interiors last year and ended up with two over. One was from a Hornby, which came with the interior, but I had to look at them all to find the other I hadn't fitted, which was 42777, Teak set 5 formation 1, KX - Newcastle.

Kirk_BCK_42777.jpg

This is from a Kirk kit. The seats and pictures are to be added to the basic interior.

I have since made up two new interiors for the two 5 compartment BTKs I made up:

MJT_BTK_5_41358.jpg

41358 works KX - Leeds in Set 5 formations 2 and 3 and may also feature in the final formation 1. This is an MJT kit with replacement sides from Bill Bedford.

Kirk_btk_5_41355.jpg

The other side of 41355, which works KX - Hull in Set 3 formation 2. This is a Kirk kit.

BWT_3_zpsruz1cqgz.jpg

I also reassembled this this evening. What a fiddle to put together - I'm glad I'm not assembling them for a living. Drink had clearly been taken when I applied the lining and the photo also shows that I hadn't replaced the rear fixing screw which has now been fitted. It really needs a beefier handwheel for the donkey pump, I may see if a small 7mm one would be better.

This will now go for a test run next Monday evening. Overall I'm not too disappointed with it, it's turned out quite well. Someone will now come up with a better photo showing the donkey pump or pipework are wrong, but there you go.

Were these numbered on a plate or with painted numerals, does anyone know?

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 10

Some interiors now complete and in place. Firstly, the TO half of the GN D218CC twin, from one of Bill Bedford's kits finished with MJT components.

GN_D218CC_to.jpg

GN_D218CC_TO_2.jpg

Secondly D 151 RTP. Bill's sides on an MJT structure.

BB_D151_RTP_2.jpg

BB_D151_RTP.jpg

I have since moved the interior along a little as it had slid slightly out of place. I use blobs of Tacky Wax to secure them.

Finally, I took the Beattie well tank for a test run at Ormesby on Monday. The smokebox door was still in works having a new dart fitted, but clearly the resultant hole offended someone's eye as when I looked again it had been modified:

bwt_4_zpsg82pcgft.jpg

I hope to have this in service fairly soon. With the smokebox door refitted.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Mr Worsdell would have a duck fit!

The coaches look really nice. Time for me to start building my pile of LM coach sides....

Baz

Don't care, it's southern rubbish...

Jonathan, as ever the carriages look superb.

I seem to have a lot of things stopped awaiting parts at the moment, so when inclement weather sent me home from work early on Saturday there was really only one thing to do.... build some wagons. Well, why not.

51L_F7_ins_van_zpsyj4awi1v.jpg

This came to me from John Houlden, who has sold off his 4mm stock to move up to 7mm. I expect Scottiedog can tell us how old it is. Went together very well per instructions, except that I replaced the cast W irons with brass ones and cut the axleboxes and springs out to stick on cosmetically. This and the next vehicle need 14mm spoked wheels and an order will go off to Andrew at Wizard probably this week.

DG_F4_ins_van_zpsp1dxwff2.jpg

While I had that in hand I pulled this one out of the kit box... same origins but more recent manufacture. Built up just as well and awaits the same replacement wheelsets.

Mousa_LNW_D39_glass_zps2tpidgx0.jpg

Nice as those were it was this that I had been waiting to build... Bill's glass wagon. Just the sort of thing for those who appreciate an interesting wagon. Lovely thing, pleasure to put together and runs beautifully. I'm waiting for the return of the LNWR wagons book to study the securing chains and turnbuckles and will probably make a suitable crate to load it with.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 11

Jonathan

The NER Dia. F2 and F4 Van kits were introduced at least 25 years ago, if not more! The 51L range of kits was started in the early 1980s. At that time I was modelling the North Eastern Railway c1910 and as there was a limited range of wagon and van kits available, I decided, with the assistance of Owen Lancaster, a first class pattern maker, to "have a go". The first kits were the North Eastern Railway Dia. Q1 Loco Coal Wagon and the Dia. C11 Salt Wagon. I only did these because the former was painted blue and the latter was painted red oxide. No logic there, then!

It was only going to be small part time venture but just like "Topsy" just kept on growing and eventually included kits for the LSWR, L&YR, NBR, CR and G&SWR amongst many. Plans were laid to produce many more kits for the pre-grouping scene but unfortunately ill health got in the way. At the end of the day there were some 50 kits in the range which now rests between Andrew, at Wizard/51L Models and David Geen.

The sharp eyed amongst you might have noticed that one of the dates on one of the labels is wrong. I think it should be 1897! 

Here endeths the history lesson.

• Like 1

Busy putting carriages back together this week after some bits turned up at the weekend.

The other half of the GN twin, almost level - it has to split to go back in the box, so I didn't attach them properly.

BB_D218CC_CK_1.jpg

Also from a Bill Bedford kit, LNER Composite to diagram 7. This has 2 1/2 - 5 instead of the more common 3 1/2 - 4 compartments. The interior has also gone in the wrong way round by the look of it.

BB_D7_CK_5.jpg

Finally a D114 BTK(4), MJT built exactly as intended by the previous poster, Mr. Scott.

MJT_D114_BTK_1.jpg

Only one vehicle left to do, a D 23 TK and I'm caught up with unfinished carriages. There are 3 more waiting to be built over the summer (ideally) for the Grantham autumn tour.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 12

Last two carriages done - the D23 mentioned above:

MJT_D23_TK.jpg

and the D7 Composite now complete.

BB_D7_CK.jpg

Fitting handrails to the D23 was a real trial, not helped by the glazing falling out all over the place. I think I must have secured it with Klear as an experiment. Not again.

The D7 interior was the wrong way round because I'd soldered the supplied partition in that way, so it's all been out and back in correctly. It looks better now.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 15

Luck had nothing to do with it (he said, modestly). It was soldered to the floorpan, so to avoid a cascade of molten undergubbins I fatigued it off then glued it to a plastikard subfloor.

I was rather pleased with the teak on that Compo, so I certainly wasn't going anywhere near it with an iron.

• Like 1

Luck had nothing to do with it (he said, modestly). It was soldered to the floorpan, so to avoid a cascade of molten undergubbins I fatigued it off then glued it to a plastikard subfloor.

I was rather pleased with the teak on that Compo, so I certainly wasn't going anywhere near it with an iron.

I won't start to worship you as the God of soldering just yet then.

Definitely a nice finish.

Cracked on with an LSWR cattle wagon this evening (see the 'kit identification' thread) but in between bits of that, I've been doing this little job for Ormesby.

We run a ballast/Pway train and the ballast loads were looking a little tired.

LSWR_ballast_2_zps0amylhz7.jpg

One of them was also a very poor fit in the wagon, so a new one was made in 40 thou plastikard. I then use household filler to shape a load - here I'd run out so it's wood filler. Once dry it's painted a colour something like that of the load. This will be PECO buff stone, so a darker beigey-brown (Humbrol 118, I think) was used.

LSWR_ballast_3_zpsbibko6by.jpg

When dry this is coated with PVA and the load spread over it from a teaspoon. Here dry and fitted to the wagon. Incidentally, I think this wagon is not LSWR at all, but one of the Ratio LNWR Pway wagons reliveried. Ron was not averse to doing that.

LSW_ballast_4_zpsdhw8lssw.jpg

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 9