• RMweb Premium

Another, just found. 3 x Bedford TK tractors, a Bantam and in the foreground a Vauxhall Viva 2 door car of the Midland Region, looks like BNK971G

Plus what appears to be a Ergo cab artic of BRS.

http://www.flickr.co...idlandsrailways

Yes it does look like an Ergo cab on the BRS unit. The unit looks like it has 3 axles, unusual in 1970. The other car is a Hillman Avenger and the van is a parcel van bodied Mk.1 Transit.

Hope this is not a dupe posting ;

Yes it's the one marked Oakham in the batch listed above by jcb3c.

Never mind Phil, keep looking, some real supprises out there.

Just today I bought Railway Bylines for Jan.2011. A shot at York in July 1960 with behind the engine buffers, a Bedford TJ lorry. I have never seen or heard of one of these with BR before. Unfortunatley no numbers visible but my feelings are that it may be a tractor unit.

Merf.

Though not of great quality I hope that these are of interest, both are from an article in Steel Times, March 13, 1964. The article covers the development of "steel railheads" at Moor Lane and Rood End to serve Birmingham and the Black Country. Opened originally by the Western Region, they were transferred to the London Midland in 1963. Rood End received billets from Llanelly and Briton Ferry steelworks whilst Moor lane handled strip from Ebbw Vale. Similar railheads were planned at Aston, Great Bridge and Wolverhampton Walsall Street with services from Sheffield, Scunthorpe and the North East. The railheads were served by overnight fitted trains and offered next day delivery.

post-6861-0-30796200-1294229963_thumb.jpg

Rood End, above, received up to 14 trains per week, carrying billets from 24' to 30' carried on fitted bogie bolsters.

post-6861-0-93980700-1294230037_thumb.jpg

Moor Lane received 5t, 1,200', coils which were unloaded by a 'Freight Lifter' fitted with Somers patent automatic lifting tongs which gripped both inside and outside the coil. That Freight Lifter is an interesting looking machine.

• Like 1

Interesting pics Arthur, the Freightlifter forklift was made by Shelvoke and Dewry (S&D) famous for their bin wagons.

London Brick wanted some big forklifts but only Hyster in USA were making this size so S&D were asked if they could make one. I assume as they were using a lot of hydraulics in their refuse trucks

It has driving cabs at both end's because BR were prosecuted for having an accident where judge stated the drivers view was obstructed by a 'jungle of steel ' with the normal forklift single driving position.

Thanks Arthur. That's especially interesting because the Foden (YUV681) has survived to be preserved in its BR livery:

http://community.fotopic.net/search/simple.php?tab=P&txt=yuv681

Adam

In fact, even better. Of the batch of 5 of these Fodens (YUV681-5) three have survived to be preserved, YUV684 and 685 also. Their survival owes a lot to the fact that they all became recovery vehicles with NCL.

Merf.

Interesting pics Arthur, the Freightlifter forklift was made by Shelvoke and Dewry (S&D) famous for their bin wagons.

London Brick wanted some big forklifts but only Hyster in USA were making this size so S&D were asked if they could make one. I assume as they were using a lot of hydraulics in their refuse trucks

It has driving cabs at both end's because BR were prosecuted for having an accident where judge stated the drivers view was obstructed by a 'jungle of steel ' with the normal forklift single driving position.

Thanks JCB, from that I was able to follow it up a bit. Seems, from what I can find, that the original design had the typical centre seating position and then a B.R.owned one was in an accident (on a public road?) leading to the judges comment above. Following that a revised design, with a two driving position layout, evolved.

Thats the S&D Freightlifter sorted out :) but just noticed the first pic shows a completely different forklift (used as crane) machine with high central driving/operating position, well obscured by the Foden, any ideas anyone ?

Somthing a bit different today.

I have always liked the privitised Freightliner livery. A quick look at what is available , I had a Frank Waller Leyland cab which I altered a bit to look somthing like the Leyland DAF 85 of 1995, fited to a Oxford chassis, hauling a hired triaxle flat loaded with a Bachmann 45' container. On order is a PH skelital trailer, which looked realy good on the RMweb thread.

And also a B R Dodge 300 unit with a 27' Freightliner container (Hornby) to show 30 years of difference.

post-1625-0-82946200-1294669046_thumb.jpg

post-1625-0-47606300-1294669071_thumb.jpg

post-1625-0-59133400-1294669098_thumb.jpg

Merf.

Just had a good read through this thread - some lovely stuff in it!

It also shows an area which, I suspect, many enthusiast know very little about. The use of the EFE OB buses on layouts is a prime example! And the large personel carriers seem a world away from the Transit type crewbuses I'm used!

And while I'm here, are there any drawings published for the Ford Cargo based crew buses? I remember them from when I was younger and I'd love to have one for the early nineties layout I'm planning.

And while I'm here, are there any drawings published for the Ford Cargo based crew buses? I remember them from when I was younger and I'd love to have one for the early nineties layout I'm planning.

Hello James. This is my drawing of the standard 14 seat personnel carrier as found on the Ford Cargo as well as the other chassis. The only difference was that by the time the Cargo came out they had flat roofs (from about 1984)

post-1625-0-04361900-1294679329_thumb.jpg

Merf.

• Like 3

Another from Steel Times, this one August 7th, 1964;

post-6861-0-50300700-1294761375_thumb.jpg

Steel bar from GKN's East Moors works is loaded onto a BMC tractor/semi trailer outfit at South Lambert. The bars were for use in the construction of the Victoria line.

Another from Steel Times, this one August 7th, 1964;

Steel bar from GKN's East Moors works is loaded onto a BMC tractor/semi trailer outfit at South Lambert. The bars were for use in the construction of the Victoria line.

Interesting picture Arthur, not one I have seen before. Is the registration and fleet number clear enough to read on the original please. To me it appears to be TYO395 & 8630 D W but not sure.

Merf.

Merf, The original is very grainy, even with a magnifying glass it's difficult to be sure. I'd say the reg is TYO 396, the least clear is the last letter so the O might just be a D. Again I think you've got the fleet number right. The second number is the least clear but 8630D seems right.

Arthur