Cheap track vacuum cleaner!

stu357

I've been considering buying a Dapol track cleaner for a while, while I'm happy with the piece of hardboard dipped in isoproponol for actual cleaning , the vacuum cleaner part really appeals. I have a long tunnel with a set of points in and sometimes a bit of ballast in there can cause havoc!

It's a lot of money for that though, especially when you can get a USB keyboard vac for £1

gallery_16311_3480_133068.jpg

I had an old lima coach that I last worked on 33 years ago! so that was ripe for cutting up. the vacuum was over loading gauge, so that needed a lot cutting off, but it still seems to suck well as long as you only cut bits off the motor side.

gallery_16311_3480_55056.jpg

it sucks whichever direction the motor is running so with a resistor across its contacts it seems to run at the right speed.

gallery_16311_3480_130399.jpg

the nozzel is just a piece of heat shrink, so that was easy to extend

gallery_16311_3480_90003.jpg

Well, It works suprisingly well when shunted around by a Hornby SD 08, that's just the right speed. I wasnt sure it would work, that's why I did such a quick hack job. I might make a better one next.

gallery_16311_3480_126625.jpg

Here it is vacuuming the station!

Hope thats of some use to someone.

Stu.

Seems I forgot the emptying shots!

I kept the vac as a working unit and just shaved bits off to fit the coach. the coach is just a carrier and power pick up.

So I just remove the roof, pull out the vac twist off the bayonet dust collector end and empty,

gallery_16311_3480_62239.jpg

and here are todays hooverings!

gallery_16311_3480_36244.jpg

suprised me how much was in there too!

It goes back together just as easy.

• RMweb Premium

forgive me for going off topic but I notice the support brackets in the vacuuming the station are very like the brackets on the station I wish to model, could you tell me the make please.

Oh and I like very much your usb vacuum I'll definitely be building one, another use for a one of those very cheap carriages many people bought!

forgive me for going off topic but I notice the support brackets in the vacuuming the station are very like the brackets on the station I wish to model, could you tell me the make please.

Oh and I like very much your usb vacuum I'll definitely be building one, another use for a one of those very cheap carriages many people bought!

Thanks, They are the newer Hornby ones, Actually the entire platforms are, they are just covered in printed paper!

Imagine them in gloss green,

these ones in fact,

http://www.ehattons.com/7247/Hornby_R514_Platform_Canopy_x_2/StockDetail.aspx

Stu

• RMweb Premium

Thanks, They are the newer Hornby ones, Actually the entire platforms are, they are just covered in printed paper!

Imagine them in gloss green,

these ones in fact,

http://www.ehattons.com/7247/Hornby_R514_Platform_Canopy_x_2/StockDetail.aspx

Stu

I hadn't looked at the complete canopies as I only need the brackets and they are the nearest I've seen to what I need, Unfortunately this looks like I'll have to buy a pack and consign the rest of the bits to the parts bin for future uses.

Thanks for your help.

Q

• 1 month later...

Stu,

Hope you don’t mind but I have copied your idea and made one of these myself, finished photo.

To get the vacuum to sit better into the coach I lined the dust collection part with “Milliput” so that I could file this down to reduced its width so that it fitted between the coach sides and allowed the roof to fit properly.

If you would like to see a few more photos they can be found on this link.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/94392-track-maintenance-vehicles/?p=1734791

post-19340-0-87488400-1420763709_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...

Archived