Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Atlas editions Stobart class 66 ?

Not sure were to put this so mods please move if needed.

On the Oxford diecast face book page a while back a digger was shown which was part of a new Stobart 1/76th vehicle range. The ads have only appeared sporadic.

Now today some one has uploaded a pic of the digger along with a flyer showing other models - a digger, unimog, airport fire tender and a class 66/9 as eddie the engine!

The pic shows the loco complete with tension lock couplings and  I suspect is the Bachmann model. However, most of these models retail for around £20 - £30 mark so I  doubt it is a working loco at £100 + . The flyer seems to imply that all the models are diecast. The picture of the flyer is shown at an angle but all the info about the loco refers to the real one and not the model.

Paul

• 11 months later...

Yes, it's an empty plastic shell; no die cast metal to be seen.

I bought it to be a "dummy" loco, but the bogies are appalling and won't go round anything approaching a curve, so it's gathering dust in a siding.

I've got the Bachmann working version too; a much better investment despite being on evilbay at 4 times the price.

• 2 years later...

Yes, it's an empty plastic shell; no die cast metal to be seen.

I bought it to be a "dummy" loco, but the bogies are appalling and won't go round anything approaching a curve, so it's gathering dust in a siding.

I've got the Bachmann working version too; a much better investment despite being on evilbay at 4 times the price.

Do you know if the bogies can be modified / replaced so that it could be pulled by another 66, just like an ordinary wagon, but made to look like it's a double-header?

Yes its quite simple. I found a small screwdriver head which fitted the screws in the keeper plate. Once undone there is a single screw holding the bogie in place. This just need loosening so the bogie will pivot. 

Junk the original wheels as they are awfull. Iv'e replaced mine with some 14mm Romfords but have also used some Bachmann 14mm in my sons one and I suspect the Hornby 14mm will do . The original axles are a smaller diameter so the axleslots will need opening a small amount for a standard axle. I also removed the pinpoints so the wheel had some lateral movement which improved road holding. The coupling loop needed bending up slightly so it would connect but I have run it with a Bachmann DRS 66 double headed and top and tail with no issues on my code 75 track.

Hope this helps.

Trailrage

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes its quite simple. I found a small screwdriver head which fitted the screws in the keeper plate. Once undone there is a single screw holding the bogie in place. This just need loosening so the bogie will pivot. 

Junk the original wheels as they are awfull. Iv'e replaced mine with some 14mm Romfords but have also used some Bachmann 14mm in my sons one and I suspect the Hornby 14mm will do . The original axles are a smaller diameter so the axleslots will need opening a small amount for a standard axle. I also removed the pinpoints so the wheel had some lateral movement which improved road holding. The coupling loop needed bending up slightly so it would connect but I have run it with a Bachmann DRS 66 double headed and top and tail with no issues on my code 75 track.

Hope this helps.

Trailrage

Now £12 in Hattons sale it is a bargain and ripe for detailing.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/StockDetail.aspx?SID=357081

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Bit of filing and it runs quite happily on Hornby R8218 wheels towed behind another loco.Wheels sit quite happily with lots of movement. Only issue is the buffer beam isn't glued in so fell off when the buffers locked. Haven't put it along side any Bachmann 66's yet as none to hand.

Edited by ruggedpeak
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Rehweeled Atlas 66 compared to Bachmann version. As can be seen the Atlas version body is sitting too high on the bogies and there is daylight visible between the bogies and solebar, so next task is to reduce the body height. The bogies are screwed into threads protruding from under the body, so the plan is to reduce those.

gallery_24698_4132_336341.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Happy New Year all and hope all had a good Christmas.

Been having a Tinker with Mine last night.  On the top of the bogie (Which is plastic) is the bogie pivot. I cut this off and fitted 2 M4 washers (each one 1mm thick) which reduced the height to near on perfect. Whilst they were gluing me and my Godson were looking at the chassis as I couldn't figure out why I couldn't get the body off he jokingly said to me I bet there's a screw under the fuel tank and he was right!  Found and removed extra screw located under the Fuel Tank which has been glued in place with what looks like superglue so comes off with a little persuasion!

The chassis is made of a cast metal and would appear to be the same width as the Bachmann model. The downside with this means that my plans of using the Hornby Class 66 Motor bogie has

been scuppered as it wouldn't be able turn if due to lack of space between the frames even if a hole is cut in the floor. A quick test shows it may be able to be fitted to a Hornby Class 66 Chassis if the 

bufferbeam steps are removed as they are not flitted to the later batch of loco's. The Hornby / Lima chassis is to shallow in depth due to being designed around the original Pancake motor bogie which is wider.

Lowering it down makes it look better but I've still got a long way to go yet.

Happy trails all