LMS Horse Box

sp1

21 Ton Hoppers also hitting the streets. Weren't both of these only announced at Warley?

They must have been in development for some time if these are both the new models? The images shown at Warley were just CAD images too, so they didn't even appear to have Engineering samples at that time either.

Impressive turnaround if this is the case? 

• RMweb Gold

Hi. I like the look of the 21ton Hoppers, and it seems that they are just in time for my Birthday on Monday! Will be getting a rake of the Hoppers, and these will look well behind the forthcoming DJM Q6. Also the Horse box is something else that is looking good, and hope to get hold of a couple of them. I think, in conclusion, that this is good news for Hornby - something must be working out for them in the new factories in China.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

21 Ton Hoppers also hitting the streets. Weren't both of these only announced at Warley?

They must have been in development for some time if these are both the new models? The images shown at Warley were just CAD images too, so they didn't even appear to have Engineering samples at that time either.

Impressive turnaround if this is the case? 

What I saw at Warley were decorated samples.  So they were well into their development by then.  Still an unexpectedly fast release, given recent history.  ;-)

I saw 5 of the 6 hopper wagons at Arcadia in Shaw yesterday.

They looked the part. :-)

• RMweb Gold

Is it possible Hornby are playing a double bluff game?  Specifically by announcing them at Warley and then having them in the stores so soon afterwards looks good after all their past and current supply problems.  FYI I am a conspiracy theorist

Not really a double bluff. They've done this before - if I remember correctly the 2-BIL had an extremely short time between announcement and arrival. Given that they are now using multiple suppliers, it may simply be that the factory producing the new-tooling wagons is well up to scratch while some of the other plants aren't yet. The hoppers are made at TAL05, as was the LNER CCT. I don't know who made the LMS horsebox, as I haven't bought one yet since the LMS livery is the only one delivered so far, but my guess would be TAL05 again.

An LMS Horsebox from Kernow was sat on my doorstep on Saturday morning when I eventually ventured outside - the postie left it without ringing the bell!  It is very nice indeed with the detailing extremely delicately done - in fact the planking joints are very subtle so care will need to be taken if it is to be repainted or they will disappear..  The brake shoes are in line for OO so some alteration will be required to enable conversion to EM but other wise it should not present any problems.  It is a very fine addition to the range of 4mm NPC stock and should be very popular - I wonder what they will come up with next?

Gerry

... I wonder what they will come up with next?

Some LMS livery hayburners? All-black carthorse, crimson rambler liveried heavy hunter, couple of racehorses, (one in blue, other in red, both with go faster stripes).

They ought to do the rounds and make LNER and SR vehicles, then we can have a really mixed train off to a racemeet like Newmarket or Doncaster, pulled by a Racehorse. There's a trainpack concept for Hornby; and they also have the Pullman cars to do the Fancy's racemeet special to go with it.

• RMweb Gold

It appears the LMS Horse Box has arrived Kernow are listing it as in stock: has anyone got their hands on one yet?

My local dealer had them when I went in on Tuesday (20th).

They look very well detailed and nicely finished but he's only had the LMS liveried ones so far and I'm waiting for the BR versions (expected mid-Feb if Hornby's website is up to date). 

I don't know enough about the prototype to judge its absolute accuracy but it looks pretty good against the photos I have found.

John

Intrigued as to why I got a disagree for the initial post which was simply stating that this item is in stock with a well known retailer?

Very possibly 'iPad thumb', easiest thing to inadvertently catch the disagree icon with your thumb when scrolling on an iPad. Done it many times and if you don't spot it then, you move on completely unaware.

It's my first thought with any 'disagrees' which, like this one, seem to make no sense.

Have any of the production models got yellow drop lights? I am hanging fire on this model for reasons that lead me to anticipate the BR version will represent the 1949-56 livery. I too would be interested to see images. 

The 'disagree' button leads to more disputes than its worth. Far better, in my view, to disagree with an explanatory post in the beginning rather than following a virtual lynching ha ha.

Is the yellow droplight correct?

Have any of the production models got yellow drop lights? I am hanging fire on this model for reasons that lead me to anticipate the BR version will represent the 1949-56 livery. I too would be interested to see images. 

The 'disagree' button leads to more disputes than its worth. Far better, in my view, to disagree with an explanatory post in the beginning rather than following a virtual lynching ha ha.

My LMS Horsebox does not have yellow drop lights - they are picked out in brown.  However the vehicle is a curious bright red - almost pink - colour.  Presumably in LMS days they would have been in LMS Crimson?  Essery and Jenkinson suggest that some NPCS in the later LMS period were painted in varnished brown ubdercoat.  What is the correct livery for a vehicle running about 1948 - 50 because the published works are very quiet on the matter?

Gerry

It's brown - intended to be 'wood' I suspect. Body colour looks like BR carmine - certainly not pink but not really maroon or crimson lake, either. 

• RMweb Gold

When would this version of horse box have been built?

Cheers,

David

I've been looking for references this morning, albeit more in order to find how long they lasted.

It appears that the body style as modelled by Hornby first emerged in 1929. Different batches had gas or oil lighting and I'm not sure which is represented by Hornby.

John

LMS Horsebox D1956 No.42513 was built in 1935 to Lot 854. Livery was LMS standard crimson lake (sides & ends) including droplight and window bolection. Wood colour droplights was not a feature of MR or LMS liveries. Fixed window bolections were wood colour from 1923 to the around 1929, therefore none of these vehicles with planked sides had them.

I was told the Hornby body colour is a sort of dark carmine red. It should be LMS lake. The model is gas lit, automatic vacuum brake and handbrake only.

A fun-conversion would be to re-space the wheelbase to 16 feet to represent D2125 built in BR days. (Incidentally, for BR livery I would have assumed the ends were black but they were carmine red).

Horseboxes :Rails are listed as on order. Hattons personal conversation said next September delivery and Kernows are not listed on this afternoons email. (???)

Model Railways Direct have them and I have another in the post.  The model is gas lit and also has Westinghouse air pipes as well as vacuum pipes.  Essery/Jenkinson give black ends for all coaching stock in later LMS period - would that include Horseboxes?  As primarily a GWR modeller trying to determine the correct livery for this model has revealed a surprising paucity of published information on LMS matters.

Gerry

Archived