Singleton - West Sussex

Richard Jones

Hi All,

With the publication of edition "0" of the Modellers' Digest by the Brighton Circle:

http://www.lbscr.org/lbscrorg/Models/Journal/

I thought I would start a thread on my proposed layout - I have already posted a few photos of progess with track building etc in my gallery:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/album/1858-singleton-under-construction/

the next step is some serious woodworking for the baseboards (once the garage is clear!), but I would welcome any additional prototype photographs, particularly if anyone has any of the platform buildings or the illusive turntable.

best wishes

Richard

ps - If you are interested in the LBSCR, why not join the Brighton Circle?

I shall be watching with great interest. Singleton is an interesting location with the platforms raised above the level of the station building. I presume the turntable was put in to turn locos that were bringing race traffic?

Are you modelling the LBSC era?

Are you modelling the LBSC era?

Hi,

No, I'm going for circa 1930 SR era, but I will leave the turntable in, though at only 45' it was quite restricted in what it could turn by that date!

Almost all of the stock I am building is ex LBSCR - locos will have the B suffix and 3 digits whilst goods stock will be the larger S R lettering.

I may well call it "West Dean" - the name original intended for the station - to avoid confict with any "purists"!

best wishes

Richard

• RMweb Gold
Anglian, on 26 Jan 2015 - 22:14, said:

Sounds a great project to me. Have you been able to obtain drawings for the buildings?

While proper drawings would be best - and the OP may have those - the fact that Singleton was one of the T.H.Myres stations means that generic drawings are available here and there. Generic in that it seems Myres prepared a drawing which was handed to various contractors to interpret according to site conditions at the stations for which they were appointed. These included, as well as the Midhurst line quartet, the Bluebell and Cuckoo line stations. Thus a general layout photograph can be interpreted for detail to some extent, using known dimensions from elsewhere.

• RMweb Premium

Such a beautiful setting for a station. I do hope you will put the layout 'in the landscape'. I, sadly, only ever saw Singleton from the Road home from Chi to Horsham (I used to vary the route as much as possible when driving, but preferred the train journey of course).

Barnham would make a nice little layout but I must not start thinking that way...............

Phil 

• RMweb Premium

Yes, standing on the platform at Singleton in the mid-80s was one of life's unexpected, not to say surreal, experiences. But no camera!

There is a discussion somewhere on RMW about the vinyard/wine store being there (I think).

P

Sounds a great project to me. Have you been able to obtain drawings for the buildings?

Hi

Yes, I have copies of most of the drawings (which are probably still in the Plan Arch at Waterloo) - though interestingly there are some detail differences between the drawings and what was actually built.

I and another member of the Brighton Circle have had the Kirtley Model etches for T H Myers buildings shot down to 4mm scale.

The main variation between the "design drawings" and the "as built" is on the platform buildings.

I am preparing some drawings for the 2 signal boxes by "brick counting" and projection from photos.

cheers

Richard

Richard,

Could you tell me more about the Kirtley Model etches for the Myers Buildings? Are they usually 7mm and you bought a special order at 4mm? I'd like to get hold of them so I have them in-stock.

I think I probably need to make a firm decision on what I'm going ahead with and that will dictate if I join the Brighton Circle.

Tim

Hi,

Here's the list I have of original drawings - most of them are marked "West Dean" , crossed through and Singleton substituted

Studying the photos of the main station building shows that there is an extra chimney stack that is not shown on those drawings.

Also, the Platform station buildings vary from drawing 04/2652 " two wood waiting sheds & Platform roofs"  which shows a single 55' building (on

each platform) divided into General Waiting Room, Ladies Waiting Room and Gents, however a very nice coloured plan held in the West sussex County library shows an additional part to each of these buildings (under the canopy) - assume that the two larger buildings are 55' this gives a smaller building on the Up platform of 28' 3" containing S.M.O (Station Master's Office), Porters, Lamps and a 37' 6" building on the Down Platform for the Refreshment room, bar, kitchen. However another sketch (primarily for the drains!) seems to show dimensions of 56' 6" for the larger buildings and 38' 6" for the refreshment room, with both"up" buildings being 9' wide and both "down" buildings being 10' wide. (there is a "join" which makes this drawing difficult to decipher.

It appears that nobody thought to produce an "as built" drawing - in my former line of work these are essential when de-commissioning a facility!

Here's a list of the drawings I know exist, and that have been reproduced in various publications (nicely brought together in Southern Way no. 16)

Drawings previously held by the Southern Region  Civil engineers Department - aka The Plan Arch Waterloo.Note. Network Rail are not prepared to supply any copies of drawings - ideally these drawings should be transferred to NRM

The numbering series suggests that there are at least 6 other drawings of other aspects of Singleton station - one being the elevation of the station building reproduced in "Going off the Rails". 

02/2652 Side & end elevation, transverse and londitudinal section through Main station building

04/2652 Island platform waiting room & canopies detail  

09/2652 pumping engine house & water tower  

10/2652 Goods Warehouse (shed)        

National Railway Museum, York   Thought to have been transferred to NRM from the previous OPC/Railtrack Publication venture.    The track layout on these drawings is not 100% consistent with the OS map or photographic evidence - it is possible they were the design proposals, with variation made during actual construction. Includes rail level heights at  intervals

A1/6/364E/3 part Track diagram (Northen end of station)

A2/6/364E/3 part Track diagram (central section of station) 

As I mentioned I haven't seen a drawing for either the North or South signal box, but I am working on these based on dimensions from the SRS and "brick counting" from a very nice photo of the North box taken shortly after construction. I have only seen two photos of the South Box, and the turntable is particularly illusive, but appears to be in a conventional pit (rather than fully boarded as some Brighton tables were) - the evidence for this is included in the latest issue of "The Brighton Circular" (vol. 40 No. 4)

cheers

Richard

Richard that sounds like a wealth of information. I must have taken you ages to track that lot down. Do you know what materials you'll use for the buildings, card, plasticard?

Have you visited the site?

I presume you have the Middleton press book that has eight images of the station including a murky shot of the North box?

Richard that sounds like a wealth of information. I must have taken you ages to track that lot down. Do you know what materials you'll use for the buildings, card, plasticard?

Have you visited the site?

I presume you have the Middleton press book that has eight images of the station including a murky shot of the North box?

Hi,

I shall probably use plasticard, but haven't ruled out using plain card.

I've not actually visited the station - the closest I got was The Downland Museum - with the family in tow - I don't think they would have appreciated being draged around a derelict station site! Fortunately I am in correspondence with a gentleman who lives in Midhurst and has taken some photos for me - some specifically to work out a geographical feature on the map that was puzzling me!

There are 3 Middleton press books covering this area - I have 2 of them "Branchlines to Midhurst" and Branchlines Around Midhurst" - Southern Way 16 is a very good compilation of a lot of the best photos, including one of the South Signal box.

Very happy to share the information I have collated with others

best wishes

Richard

tn_gallery_12271_1858_15296.jpgtn_gallery_12271_1858_747113.jpg

Is the site not privately owned?

P

Yes it is private land, I believe the site is part of the West Dean Estate - the goods yard, till quite recently, was leased to Henry Potter, and the station house is leased out to tenants.

A good way to "have a look" is Dumpman's film DVDs of the Chichester to Midhurst line

Archived