DERBY The Roundhouse, 9 & 10 May 2015

Mike Bellamy

• RMweb Premium

UPDATES

Slight changes made to the following entries on previous page

British Layout list in #40 17 Feb

Continental / USA Layout list #41 19 Feb

Trade list #42 2 March

Societies etc seem to have been missed - my mistake and I'll but them into a separate list - Scalefour Society now confirmed as attending.

• RMweb Premium

Societies

7mm Narrow Gauge Association

DEMU

European Railway Society

Famous Trains

Mickleover Model Railway Group

Scalefour Society

N Gauge Society

NMRA

Scenic demo - John Ward

Swiss Railway Society

Apologies for not posting this in February with the layout and trader lists!

• RMweb Premium

Parking

May I first of all say that the photo below shows how close we are to the station and so that is obviously the recommended way to travel - just remember to exit the station over the bridge to Pride Park and do not exit onto Railway Terrace / Midland Road.

Parking at The Roundhouse is the responsibility of Derby College and there will be a charge of £1 which they make for all of their external activities (I have paid this in the past for the Antiques Fair). You will be directed by their staff and students to the available spaces which will be the visitors car park off the small roundabout by the bridge, the staff car park behind the Roundhouse with the entrance just before the building and they also have access to the large car park at InterFleet Technology which is to the right.

Do not go to the station car park which is towards the bottom right of the photo as you will have to pay full rate (£7) for that. There are more College buildings out of shot further over to the right with additional parking and there is also a large pay and display car park that is £4.50 all day.

post-18-0-95531200-1430343321_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Alstone Quay

Unfortunately due to circumstances beyond my control I am having to withdraw Alstone Quay from the Derby exhibition this coming weekend.

I hope it's a great exhibition

Terry

• RMweb Premium

Unfortunately due to circumstances beyond my control I am having to withdraw Alstone Quay from the Derby exhibition this coming weekend.

Sorry to hear that Terry - perhaps next year then ??

Mike

• RMweb Premium

Sorry to hear that Terry - perhaps next year then ??Mike

I have had the invite for 2016 this morning.

Terry

• RMweb Premium

Thanks to Brian for those two great photos showing the future of British Rail - and of course one will soon be produced by Rapido.

Many thanks also to Richard for the two great shots of the interior of the Roundhouse when it was used for crane repair - it's interesting to compare those with the photo in my first posting. As an additional attraction not listed above, we will have two 7mm scratchbuilt breakdown cranes on display as another link to the past history of this impressive building.

Mike

• RMweb Premium

UPDATE FOR ROAD TRAVEL

Please ensure that you follow the map and our yellow signs. You must head for Pride Park and/or follow the football ground signs (IPro Stadium).

Although the Roundhouse is next to the Station do not follow the main signs to the Station otherwise you will find yourself on the wrong side of the tracks with no road access to the College or the Roundhouse without a detour as shown below. Once in Pride Park then you can follow the usual red station signs as these lead towards the alternative car park (but don't use it as it's £7 !)

post-18-0-92322700-1431032043_thumb.jpg

There have also been questions about catering as we didn't mention this in earlier posts - light refreshments will be for sale by the College although as this is our first time at a new venue, we can't be absolutely sure what they will have available. Whatever we get has to be better than the burger van the Council sent to the Sports Centre a few years ago !!

Those who fancy something more substantial (perhaps after the show) will find a couple of food serving pubs very nearby (Harvester and Merlin), plus the Pride Park area has Burger King, McDonalds, KFC, Pizza Hut, Frankie and Benny, Subway, a Mexican Grill plus others that I've forgotten !

Hope that helps

Mike

• RMweb Premium

A few more shots

Another area the exhibition will be in (minus the Drapes)

attachicon.gifIMG_5050.jpg

On the wall in the entrance is a painting of times past.

attachicon.gifIMG_5055.jpg

More to follow..................................... including another ghostly reminder of the past!!!!

Edit for spelling

As promised above a link to the past. If I can find the shot here use to be a footbridge over the station directly to the Roundhouse for Management(?). This was removed many years ago (1980's I think) when the station was redeveloped. When the Roundhouse was restored they replaced the former doorway with a window. you can still see the holes in the steelwork where the bridge was attached to the building.

post-7289-0-40264200-1431036830.jpg

If you zoom in closely a ghoslty figure is approaching over the bridge................................ Matthew Kirtley on his way to work!

post-7289-0-57198500-1431037115_thumb.jpg

Take a look for yourself on Saturday ...................... or Sunday if you prefer!

• RMweb Premium

Local paper just been delivered which includes a great article by Alex Hall Exhibition Manager about the show - it makes a pleasant change to the usual rubbish local papers publish saying 'how chuffed we are' at our exhibition !

This has also reminded me about our official opening by local railwayman and historian Brian Radford who has written several books on the Midland Railway, its routes through the Peaks and the history of Derby Works. Brian was also instrumental in the original Midland Railway Trust project in partnership with the City and County Councils which eventually led to the developments at Butterley.

See the article here - including a photo of Glenn and Graham's Aberdeen Kirkhill layout

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Derby-Roundhouse-new-venue-Mickleover-Model/story-26459091-detail/story.html

Mike

As promised above a link to the past. If I can find the shot here use to be a footbridge over the station directly to the Roundhouse for Management(?). This was removed many years ago (1980's I think) when the station was redeveloped. When the Roundhouse was restored they replaced the former doorway with a window. you can still see the holes in the steelwork where the bridge was attached to the building.

That footbridge was known as the 'Staff Bridge'. Dirty shop-floor (waged) workers who actually did the work to keep the railways going (as opposed to the 'office staff') weren't allowed to use the bridge unless they used the train to get to work. The bridge accessed the office block, there was no direct access to the roundhouse itself.

• RMweb Premium

I hate Round buildings ! !

Just taken 3 hours to measure up, mark out the floor and set up the tables then back again at 6.00am to get everyone in. This is turning into a very different type of show and we're all looking forward to a great weekend. Roundhouse staff have been incredibly helpful - it's just a pity that it's costing us about double what we paid at the Sports Hall and so we hope to get lots of visitors to help cover our additional costs.

Plenty of seating in both the Roundhouse and the Library and we have been making arrangements to get people undercover if the weather turns against us. As usual we will sell tickets to the queue to get everyone in quicker.

Tours behind the scenes at the Roundhouse will also be available.

I think that's about all I can update you on for tonight . . . . . hope everyone has a safe journey and remember that Sunday is always the quieter day.

Mike

• RMweb Gold

Mike,

George wants to know "there be narrow gauge?"

Looks like there will be a couple of narrow gauge layouts at the show (plus the 7mm Narrow Gauge Association) - details in posts 41 and 42 of this thread :)

Archived