Parkend in Forest of Dean (N Gauge)

ParkeNd

This is a first time beginners layout. It's featured in this month's edition of The N Gauge Journal (Part 2 in March). It's 7 ft 6 ins x 2 ft 4 ins, 38 ins high, and none of the ground is flat - all contoured with sanded balsa terraces. Control is DC, and track is Peco Code 55 flexi with Code 55 electrofrog points.

The scenic parts of the layout were built virtually to completion in discrete sections - until one section was finished apart from very fine detail I didn't move on to another. The  buildings are all scratch built apart from the signal box, and so far it has taken 16 months work. Locos and rolling stock are everything Dean Forest Railway has now, most items that have run in pre-heritage times, and some I just like.

The track plans are originals and all the buildings are originals - nothing was invented. But I did bend time - included several items that didn't all exist at the same time - but they were all there at one time or another.

Here are a selection of photos - fine detail is being added almost daily.

_DSC2526_zpshu3vje57.jpg

_DSC2545_zpseqfjy1zy.jpg

_DSC2535%201_zpsn6sa5mph.jpg

_DSC2530_zps8bzhm6xi.jpg

_DSC2501_zpsxaev56q1.jpg

_DSC2513_zpscxk9opdz.jpg

_DSC2437_zpse27fb305.jpg

And then just one of the buildings developing.

_1010187_zps369c1c73.jpg

_1010189_zps84d2f521.jpg

_DSC2517_zpsr5qjsdvo.jpg

And here's the real place.

_DSC0597_zpsee5382f0.jpg

_DSC0846_zpscef1689c.jpg

_1000971_zpsdd934789.jpg

_DSC1573-Version2_zps123e5fd4.jpg

_DSC2305_zpse9c81dad.jpg

This is what I call a 'real' layout.  It has a long running line, albeit in a circle.  Plenty of sidings and the ability for shunting, all in a compact scale.  My N gauge days were nothing as good as this and its a pleasure to view this layout again  here.

Brian.

Here are a couple of comparative views - real place then layout.

From the station footbridge.

_DSC1949_zps0aflfm6h.jpg

_DSC2384_zps6oejs3my.jpg

And then by Railway Cottages where trains went right past the window ledges of house when leaving the Marsh Wharf - right along the grass track where those cars are parked. The houses were there before the railway and that's why the end house has the odd front - even the first story was buried to level the rail track.

_DSC2347_zpszd4mmgcl.jpg

_DSC2464_zpsyhv7ksli.jpg

Must have been chaotic down at Lydney!Brian.

They don't all come out to play at the same time Brian - only when a camera is around. Those that are a bit exotic for Parkend guest for Santa Specials, Forest Dining specials, Enthusiast Charters, Sunday School Outings, and just in case the Princess Royal comes again to open something new (maybe an extension to Speech House Road).

Starting out with N, I went up the scales to LGB and finally down to O tinplate.  I found N too fiddly for me so I must admire your patience and excellent work.  Hard to believe its N!

Brian.

Thanks once again Brian. O gauge would suit me if I won the Lottery (not likely since I never buy a ticket) in a dedicated purpose built building in the garden. :sungum:

I like the way the trees so dominate the train, just like real trees do :)

Thanks Mickey. I read an article about the percentage of tress of various heights in the landscape and I made sure mine didn't follow the usual format of scale size standard roses. Most are 60 foot trees.

_DSC2026-Version2_zps431a8bfb.jpg

I have upgraded the previously plain wall at the back of Platform I to include the foliage hanging over it and the trees at the bottom of the slope which used to lead up to the Colliery Owners mansion - now substantially leveled and a road of houses put in. I had just 1" of space to do this.

_DSC2535%201_zpsn6sa5mph.jpg

_DSC2759_zpsnnlut8fy.jpg

_DSC2761_zpshijer0dt.jpg

Over the last few days I have been gathering together the parts I need for my simple back scene. I don't need it to enhance the effect of running trains but I do need it for photographs - the ivory wall shows through the trees. The back scene will be just the simple shape of the hills rising above the trees mimicking the outline against the sky at the prototype - cut from Daler board in Russian Green. It will sit in an aluminium channel mounted on the back of the layout board but lower than the base board itself. I have the channel, the Daler board, and two anodised brackets for the ends, and drills and screws to support the channel along its length. I shall glue cork on the channel to damp it just in case. The green board will be seen through the trees and rise above them. Will photograph it when finished to coincide with the Parkend Model Railway Grand Steam and Heritage Diesel Gala when over twenty locos will gather in the station to be viewed and photographed from both platforms. They will be towed into place behind a blue Deltic.

I cut the alluminium channel to length today and drilled and countersunk the screw mounting holes. After glueing on some cork I fitted the two right angled brackets each end of the layout and slid the channel on top of the brackets like a shelf. Then screwed the channel to the board framework. This method saved me wrestling with 7 ft of alluminium under the board while I screws it home. To my relief it is as invisible as I'd hoped and the Daler board sits neatly in the channel. Just needs cutting to shape now. Will post a couple of photos.

Photos of the simple back scene follow.

Digital skies work very well in photos if there is no background wall showing through the trees and between the tree branches as shown below.

_DSC2736_zpsx6cvowng.jpg

By adding the alluminium tray as described in earlier posts I can sit a Daler board background in place and then trim it to the profile shown in the rough sketch to mimic the hills behind the trees.

_DSC2793_zpscplv4uvj.jpg

_DSC2796_zpszrreuixk.jpg

IMG_zps33pashpj.jpg

But more work to do.

The back scene work is continuing as above but slower than I wanted it to. For one, I have caught a terrible cold whilst having to sit in a Doctors waiting room for a medication review, whilst I was comparatively healthy and the others were wheezing and coughing the air full of germs (or is it virus), and this is slowing me down badly. I have to extend the top left hand corner section of about 18" back towards the wall and hence slightly further up its slope. Having made a new balsa piece the right shape I am having trouble gluing it in place because the back of the scenery isn't a perfect flat surface. I have concocted an alternative method of fixing it on three pads, which I will try tomorrow.

Anyway - this is the troublesome section - between the crossing gate and the far end of the fence.

_DSC2526%20-%20Version%202_zps7ohsmtjj.j

The three pad method of fixing stuck initially - then fell off 3 hours later. Admittedly the cold makes me feel less resilient but I shall leave it now for a week or so and think it through afresh.

More new in a week.

Hello, 

I am French. I apologize for my bad English. 

Your network is really magnificent. I like very much the setting and the details. 

There is a really brilliant atmosphere.

There is an armonie big in the landscape. 

Your trains are also very beautiful. 

Alain

Archived