Model Rail's Ideas for Layouts

PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold

Picked this up in Smiths and after a flick through bought it as there's some interesting bits and pieces and ideas in the plans. Suprisingly nowt comes up on the web to link to, but have a browse as it's a nice cheap special. :)

Model Rail's Ideas for Layouts is only £4.99, and is out now!

Paul Lunn, Paul Marshall-Potter, and the Model Rail team present Ideas for Layouts - expert ideas and advice for building layouts based on real places.

On sale from all good newsagents and model shops, Model Rail’s Ideas for Layouts can be ordered by calling 01733 840111 or by online purchase athttp://goo.gl/drMBS8

...See More
18092_10152808923293207_8295696446903102

• RMweb Gold

Picked up my copy today - and am enjoying it very much. Also interesting to note that it is printed on significantly better quality paper than Model Rail, which really does make it nicer to read.

The content is a good mix of prototype information and plans, with some interesting ideas that can be adapted to other situations.  Recommended.

Best Regards,

ZG

• RMweb Gold

Call me Mr. Picky if you will, but it's not quite true that it is all new material.  The plans on pages 6 to 9 inclusive appeared in MR201 to 205 inclusive, and the plan on page 76 in MR 176 - but this is documented in the text, and the majority of the material is new.

I'm not pointing this out as any sort of criticism, and I still do recommend it.

Best Regards,

ZG.

• RMweb Gold

I don't think it claimed to be all new anywhere ;)

I do like a lot of plans together to compare and like these compilations. Model Railroader has a more developed series published each year exploring all sorts of concepts so it would be nice to see this turn into a series too and explore a range of ideas and scales. I'd certainly buy it again on the strength of this.

• RMweb Gold

Got a copy in Smiths (Leighton Buzzard) on Saturday and have to say I found it a thoroughly good read. I like the idea of taking a small number of locations and showing lots of related ideas

I have started a layout based on Ryde St John on the Isle of Wight so really interesting to see different designs for it and other Island stations

I must say that the copy I looked through didn't impress me all that much.

For a publication that claimed to be about ideas for layouts, it seemed to have too much in it that wasn't. There was nothing wrong with the crane articles and suchlike, I just thought they should be in a different magazine and that it [the bookazine] should all have been about what the title said.

steve

Guest G567281

I wanted to buy this online but although the link takes me to a Model Rail purchase page this publication is not shown.

Hi Mike, your not alone, I found it to be unlisted also. May be Chris can get it added.

I must say that the copy I looked through didn't impress me all that much.

For a publication that claimed to be about ideas for layouts, it seemed to have too much in it that wasn't. There was nothing wrong with the crane articles and suchlike, I just thought they should be in a different magazine and that it [the bookazine] should all have been about what the title said.

steve

Hi Steve, It's always going to be difficult when you try to push boundaries outside the norm.  Certainly when I talk about layout design I think of the whole package and that has to be more than just a track plan, especially when so many people struggle with the 3D interpretation.  I could explain the reasoning behind each example in the bookazine but the one you raise is as good as any and worthy of explanation.  Most commercially available dock cranes command a high price and to scratch build one expects a level of skill outside of what might be seen as an entry-level layout (Weymouth type Setrack plan).  Paul Marshall-Potters' superb skills were used to show what can easily be achieved with Dapols' relatively cheap old stalwart in making it look more prototypical, a key factor at the heart of the whole bookazine. Without it, my layout design would not be viable as two cranes provide an essential feature to the layout. In effect the crane has to look good for the layout to work as a complete design.  I hope this helps understand where we're coming from, perhaps a second, more detailed read would clarify what we're about.  Kind regards Paul (Lunn)   

I went in search of this. My LMS didn't have it (why not? He carries mags and a few books, and this bookzine is not date-sensitive), found it in Smiffs.

I have to say I dithered because of the non-plan articles, but went back and picked it up anyway.

I am very impressed by some of it. In particular I like the different approaches to the same prototype, but was disappointed with the lack of info on the S & D station. I guess I'm saying there is a lack of balance.

I like this kind of publication. More please!

Ed

Guest G567281

I'll look into it but I'm not in the office now until Tuesday.

CHRIS LEIGH

Many thanks Chris.

Alan ( in Canada )

• RMweb Gold

I like Pauls answer, exploring the thoughts behind it and some ideas was what I liked best. Plans on their own don't convey the full picture so a few accompanying shots and a couple of modelling bits worked well. I hope this can be expanded on bringing in some other planners too to show some different approaches. Thats not less of Paul L, just more ideas ;)

Even drawing in some novel under construction layouts and plans to explain what is being done and how it developed would be good.

Paul,

I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

As I said, I was not denigrating the other articles at all; it's just that, despite what you say, I still don't see they are necessary in the context of the bookazine in question.

We'll have to agree to differ on this one.

steve

• RMweb Premium

I bought my copy a few days ago and have to say that it is a really interesting read and I think it will be a publication that will be referred to in the future, well worth the £4.99.

I picked up a copy and found it a good read.

One thing though, is it me or are both the O gauge and 00 plans for Ryde Works identical? It looks as though the plans have been duplicated.

Alan.

Paul,

I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

As I said, I was not denigrating the other articles at all; it's just that, despite what you say, I still don't see they are necessary in the context of the bookazine in question.

We'll have to agree to differ on this one.

steve

They are included in order to give variety and depth and to vary the pace of the publication.

I picked up a copy and found it a good read.

One thing though, is it me or are both the O gauge and 00 plans for Ryde Works identical? It looks as though the plans have been duplicated.

Alan.

Hi Alan,  I'm really glad you spotted this.  It's a gremlin that got in somewhere along the way.  The plan was meant to be duplicated, but the OO version originally  had a caption that said gridded squares represent a little under 6" (half of O gauge) but it got lost in the process.  I wanted readers to consider the benefits of different scales for the same layout but need to find a better way of doing it.  Will see what I can come up with next time if I don't get the sack!  Our apologies for the error, hope it doesn't detract from the read too much.  Kind regards Paul

Hi Alan,  I'm really glad you spotted this.  It's a gremlin that got in somewhere along the way.  The plan was meant to be duplicated, but the OO version originally  had a caption that said gridded squares represent a little under 6" (half of O gauge) but it got lost in the process.  I wanted readers to consider the benefits of different scales for the same layout but need to find a better way of doing it.  Will see what I can come up with next time if I don't get the sack!  Our apologies for the error, hope it doesn't detract from the read too much.  Kind regards Paul

Hi Paul,

Probably goes back to my print industry days when I occasionally helped out with proof reading!

Alan.

Archived