Bachmann On30 porters minimum radius

GWR88

Evening all,

I've seen a Bachmann On30 0-4-2 porter that I may get soon and I'd like to know the minimum radius it will operate on reliably with small 4 wheel cars. I know Bachmann says its 18" but I've seen many online running on tighter radii. Also, does anyone know roughly how tall this critter is? I'm wanting to know as I'm aiming to build a small mining line based in Utah which will have some tight clearances.

Thanks all in advance,

Lloyd

Difficult to measure the height as the whistle is right in the centre, however it's about 65mm above rail. About 11mm less without the whistle.

Mine runs on 18" radius as that's the tightest on my layout. You might want to consider the 0-4-0 as the rear overhang and thus side swing is less.

I'm not very impressed with the electrical pick up as it often stalls on my live frog Micro Engineering points.

• RMweb Gold

18" is about right for the 0.4.2 purely due to the overhang at the rear for reliability though the loco will go round tighter and the 0.4.0 will go significantly tighter at sub 12" radius it still ran well without falling off, not sure about the couplings though as I had no four wheel stock at that time and was using the Chivers shorty kits.

The 0.4.0 was a bit of a lottery on pickups, I had three which all ran superbly!

Best option really is to buy one and wagons and test before building unless someone here can do it for you. Unfortunately my only remaining 0.4.0 is heavily modified and lengthened bufferbeams mean it's not going to help.

Thanks for the help Jeff Paul, I'm hoping to add an extra water car to the loco when I get it and permanently couple it for improved pickup.

Thanks once again and all the best,

Lloyd

Archived