Great Central Railway news

andyram

• RMweb Premium

For those of us who visit the GCR by rail from London and walk between the two Loughborough stations it seems we could be facing an even longer walk if we are to travel on the branch which is a shame. Is it even possible to walk from a station in less than 40 minutes?

Edited by Chris116

• RMweb Gold

Is Sileby the nearest one? It says 44 minutes from there to Bond Lane :(

I was wondering how the ticketing system will work with the GCR - would it be totally separate, an add on to a GCR ticket, or included in the GCR one?

• RMweb Gold

Because the remodelling at Swithland was done before the Mountsorrel line was restored, it would cost $250k to install the S&T for regular through running, so that wont happen.

Dava

Wow! That's a lot more than I expected. Would have thought it could be limited to 2 crossovers - one at the South of Swithland yard and one at the North of Quorn.

Then again, I don't know how much the associated signallery costs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

No other posts have appeared of the GCR Last Hurrah of the Season gala last weekend, so here's some photos from the Saturday. It was an enjoyable event, cold and bright in the morning and just cold later. All  went well except for a points failure at Loughborough which led to delays and a few cancelled trains. I dont think any other preserved railway in the UK was running such an intensive service at this time in the year.

N2 1744 at Leicester North

post-14654-0-69218400-1448656823_thumb.jpg

Sir Lamiel runs into Rothley

post-14654-0-96092400-1448656842_thumb.jpg

Gresley Buffet at Rothley, lovely vehicle to ride in for coffee & bacon bap on a cold day!

post-14654-0-16807100-1448656857_thumb.jpg

92214 runs into Rothley on a freight

post-14654-0-86335900-1448656867_thumb.jpg

Ivatt 2MT and 3F parked at Loughborough

post-14654-0-77911600-1448656885_thumb.jpg

Class 31 on the dining train

post-14654-0-34683700-1448656902_thumb.jpg

45305 from under Quorn bridge on a freight

post-14654-0-05088600-1448656917_thumb.jpg

So now its the Santa season, hopefully this will  be busy  to  pay the coal bills, before the post-Christmas-New Year trains. 

• Like 9

I did not get a chance to go to the last hurrah weekend - the first time I have missed it for a while. Glad I wasn't on the diner though - what a disappointment for the passengers. A steam gala going on and they get that heap of junk at the front!

• RMweb Premium

Andy,

to be fair, the 31 had the N2 pushing from the back! You can see the vapour by the signal. I gather thats the MO for the Santa trains too. Mrs D is keen to go on a Xmas dining train but I'm a bit wary of shelling out £00's for haulage by something from Planet Lima. We leave that to the GCR(N), though the 8F is expected to pull (and push?) their Santa trains.

Dava

We have done the dining trains a few times and cannot fault them - and we have always had steam haulage. That said we tend to stick to the evening specials such as Valentines Day, Christmas and the summer evening wine and dine services. We have even had a good (and impressive) variation of motive power over the years. Sir Lamiel and Leander have done the two Valentines Services, whilst the Black 5, Ivatt 2, and Standard 2 were amongst our summer service locomotives. Probably the least glamorous engine was Large Prairie 4141 on the Christmas diner - the service I proposed to Sarah on!!!

• RMweb Gold

Andy,

to be fair, the 31 had the N2 pushing from the back! You can see the vapour by the signal. I gather thats the MO for the Santa trains too. Mrs D is keen to go on a Xmas dining train but I'm a bit wary of shelling out £00's for haulage by something from Planet Lima. We leave that to the GCR(N), though the 8F is expected to pull (and push?) their Santa trains.

Dava

The only reason the Gala Day lunchtime dining train was top and tailed with the class 31 and N2 was line occupation on the single track Rothley-Leicester North section (saving the run-round time at LN).

There are two types of Santa train - Santa Specials are top and tailed with a diesel at the south end and steam at the other, while Santa Deluxe services are steam-only with a runround at Leicester North. For the next three weekends there will be 4 Specials and 4 Deluxes each Saturday and Sunday, plus the lunchtime diner both days and a Saturday evening diner, so 3 steam locos and 1 diesel in use.

Midweek for the next two Wednesdays there are 3 Specials, and an evening diner, and in Christmas week itself lots of Specials and Deluxes right up to 4pm on Christmas Eve.

• RMweb Premium

The Great Central, North and South,  are  now into Santa Special mode. This is important not only for Santa-seekers but also as a major revenue earner for both lines.

Here is the GCRN operation at Rushcliffe Halt today, 6 December. 8F 8274 is performing very well on this line and pulls away from the halt with a well-loaded  train.

post-14654-0-82100600-1449427126_thumb.jpg

D8098 is on loan from the GCR, as the North apparently has no operational Diesel locos up to the job, a bit surprising as ex-BR Diesels are their stock-in-trade. Maybe they could trade in a 73 with Brush for reconditioning?

post-14654-0-60367900-1449427139_thumb.jpg

Atmospheric vapour effects as the 8F works hard on the climb past East Leake to Barnstone Tunnel. 

post-14654-0-34601300-1449427152_thumb.jpg

More  to follow in the coming weeks and hope both lines have a bumper season.

Dava

• Like 9

D8098 is on loan from the GCR, as the North apparently has no operational Diesel locos up to the job, a bit surprising as ex-BR Diesels are their stock-in-trade. Maybe they could trade in a 73 with Brush for reconditioning?

Typically for Santa's the Class 25 shares turns with the Class 73, but the 25 left earlier in the year unexpectedly which left a gap with the 73, which hardly anyone signs, so getting the 20 (which most people sign) was the lifeline.

There are indeed other locos ready for traffic but these being Air-Only, being of no use to the Vacuum Only Steam Loco. Other vac-braked locos are under varying states of restoration so not available, whilst other vac locos may be winterised.

Edited by srihaggis

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for explaining, obviously complex with operating either AB or VB systems! You do a good job at Diesel galas & 37009 will be a major achievement next year.

Dava

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The Great Central runs a two-train service from 26 Dec to 3 January which is always a pleasant post-Christmas day out,and Tuesday was a good day to visit with bright dry weather, unlike the windy weather today.

92214 and 45305 were doing the honours, though the steam trains seemed like loss-leaders to the busy catering operation.

92214 departs Quorn - we just missed this train!

post-14654-0-00005800-1451480337_thumb.jpg

45305 departing Quorn

post-14654-0-52871300-1451480348_thumb.jpg

The ex-Bardon Quarries Barclay shunter at Rothley Carriage Works.

post-14654-0-62013000-1451480363_thumb.jpg

Dava

• Like 7

Great pics Dava. I am hoping to venture over before the end of the holidays. Not sure if people are aware of the Southern Railway feel being presented at the winter gala at the end of January. 31806 and Sir Keith Park are to be the visiting locomotives.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Time for an update on the Great Central...even on a dull Saturday afternoon in January there are things happening.

3F tank 47406 was running the steam service, alternating with the DMU.

post-14654-0-86624000-1453667244_thumb.jpg

One of the visiting locos for the Winter Steam Gala next weekend, U Class 31806, had arrived. BB Class Pacific 'Sir Keith Park' is also expected. The loco shed was busy with people preparing locos for the event. With 6 locos  from the home team there will be 8 in steam next weekend

post-14654-0-83118500-1453667259_thumb.jpg

A vehicle I had not seen closely before is this Gresley Pigeon Van, very well restored. The builders plate shows it was built in 1941. That was a lot of hardwood and skilled workmanship to spend on building a non-passenger vehicle in wartime. 

post-14654-0-69796100-1453667339_thumb.jpg

Visit next weekend if you get the chance; I'll be at the Mickleover 7mm NGA on the Saturday.

Dava

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

You're partly right. It is a Mark 1 vehicle, a brake at one end, converted to a train heating van and exported to CIE,  then returned to the UK a few years ago. There were I think three of them on the GCR at one time,  one or possibly two left, I'm not entirely sure. I did take a photo yesterday as you never know when these vehicles might disappear to Swithland Sidings,

Photo now uploaded! 

post-14654-0-90656000-1453754032_thumb.jpg

Dava

Edited by Dava
  • Like 1

I believe there are two of the Irish Heating Vans on the GCR, one at Loughborough Central and one is normally around the south end of Quorn.

The one at Loughborough Central was certainly being used to Pre-Heat stock a week ago (Quite handy when it was 3 degrees there).

Hope this Helps,

Wild Boar Fell