Westborough Terminal

Alcanman

The inspiration for Westborough Terminal  came from an article in MR (August 2010) entitled ‘ Model a transloading terminal’. I thought that this type of facility would provide an interesting project for a small switching layout offering the opportunity to run a variety of freight cars.

I had looked at CSX’s Transflo transloading terminals when researching previous layouts.( I do like real locations for my layouts,  although I can never hope to achieve building anything like the real thing.)

Wanting a North Eastern location I found a CSX Transflo terminal at Westborough, MA.  This is a modern facility (opened in 2012),adjacent to the MBTA commuter line. Looking at Google Earth, it appears to be surrounded by trees -  so I can justify a ’ tree line’ background!

My layout design includes elements of the one in the  MR  article. A warehouse with internal entry for boxcars, a couple of storage tanks/silos for unloading covered hoppers and a transload (team track)

The layout build is well under way as it had originally been intended for a UK themed layout.

However, once again I have been lured to the Darkside!

Mal

post-7898-0-48708500-1477489595_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

There's a good bit of freight around Westborough - pretty sure there's an autorack unloading area around there too. And LOTS of trees, very colourful in autumn.

Nice part of the world, I enjoyed working in (nearby) Southborough.

Thanks to all for the comments.

Here is more info regarding WT  -  http://www.rtands.com/index.php/freight/class-1/csx-opens-new-transflo-facility-in-westborough.html

and an aerial view - https://www.bing.com/mapspreview?osid=6cd0ce4d-7cfb-4631-a31a-e8890e4eadff&cp=42.27006~-71.573884&lvl=18&style=h&v=2&sV=2&form=S00027

CSX/Transflo describes WT as a 'Multi Commodity Facility' .Great! -  I can run any car that I like!

Tried to take some pics of the layout but it's very dull today. Here's one that not too bad. I'll post more when the weather brightens up.

post-7898-0-72922000-1477565304_thumb.jpg

ps.  note for newbies - the CSX hopper car is a nice model but not appropriate to load the silos, as it has gravity discharge gates.

I'll be using pneumatic discharge type hoppers - time to order some

Today I've been adding ground cover using Noch grass matting and Silflor/Mininatur grass tufts. Also I tried out a Noch 'puffer bottle' and it seems to work well with short (1mm / 2mm) static grass on small areas. ( I decided not to replace my defunct Noch Grassmaster - too expensive)

Using these materials  gives a nice variety to texture and height for ground cover.  The sea moss trees in the background where simply re-cycled from previous layouts.

Looking at videos of CSX locals in the Massachusetts area, I found that GP40-2s seem to be the preferred power. Here is CSX GP40-2 # 6351 switching Westborough.

post-7898-0-33119200-1477661507_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-52019200-1477661461_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-43735100-1477661546_thumb.jpg

I've found the puffer bottle gets tired quite quickly - I haven't covered a lot of my layout with it, but it's losing its elasticity, and it's quite annoying having to wait for it to spring back to it's original shape between puffs. Be interesting to know if you have that issue.

Good to see the quality of results that you're getting though.

I've not had that problem with the puffer bottle so far, but it hasn't been used much. 

I've been looking at new freight cars and found some 'jaw-dropping' prices at Model Junction and Gaugemaster. Prices seem to have doubled since I returned to US modelling 5 years ago.

So I had a pleasant surprise when I went along to a small local model railway exhibition yesterday and found this nice Roundhouse FMC covered hopper for £5.00 on the Contikits stand.

Reminded me of back in the day when I first started US modelling when  Athearn BB and Roundhouse kits could be bought for a fiver!  This particular model is, of course, now made by Athearn and features better detailing but at a much greater cost.

The kit had been nicely made up and kadees fitted. So, it's always worth looking around for a bargain!

post-7898-0-17302500-1477742074_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-82555000-1477742109_thumb.jpg

A few random pics of the layout.

I've been looking at Kurt Matthey's superb  'Cleveland Flats' layout in the MRH online magazin  and noticed that his track plan also has only 3 turnouts. I particularly liked the operating sequence which has given me some ideas as to how to operate my layout. 

If you are thinking about building a small switching layout 'Cleveland Flats' is truly inspirational http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/

post-7898-0-00284800-1478175411_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-58870800-1478175454_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-60132200-1478175478_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-61758500-1478175526_thumb.jpg

As I had only one covered hopper of the type suitable for unloading at the silos it was time to obtain a couple of these very nice, new release, Atlas ACF Centerflow cars.

As I mentioned in an early post, the cost of new models has significantly increased, however, they still compare favourably with recent UK offerings from Bachmann and Hornby.

......and I simply like the weight of US freight cars.

post-7898-0-19012400-1478773037_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Santa Claus delivered some rather nice goodies yesterday. :imsohappy:

Firstly, an Atlas Conrail GP40-2 with ESU Loksound. Great sounds and motor control. A big improvement on my old QSI fitted GP40-2s. Despite the high cost of importing from the US, the overall cost is still cheaper than buying from a UK retailer.And, In any event ,UK retailers have very few locos in stock. 

From ordering to delivery took only 3 days. Impressive service from Trainworld and DHL.

post-7898-0-36253100-1482756799_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-55587600-1482756826_thumb.jpg

This particular loco actually went into CSX ownership.  

For some time, the lack of CSX freight cars has been troubling me. This has now been rectified with these recent releases from Atlas. Although they are expensive, Atlas seems to have improved the detail. The boxcar now has coupler cut levers fitted.

post-7898-0-29915900-1482757560_thumb.jpg

Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year.

Mal

Hi Mal,

Same to you buddy!

I'm pleased to hear that you too, find it cheaper to self import. Since LSWR's retirement, similarly with Porter-Wynn previously, the Signal Box & MG Sharp closing, the ranks of British shops selling US outline have thinned considerably. I blame gaugemaster for a good deal of this, does any other UK shop actually import their own stuff?

The GP40-2 looks great, glad to hear it's Loksound fitted, can't beat them in my book.

Cheers,

John.

I agree John.

Gaugemaster and Model Junction are now the main UK retailers of US HO scale and neither of them hold many locos 'in stock'. As I mainly now buy Atlas dcc sound fitted locos I have been looking at their websites for some time. Gaugemaster currently have 2 in stock and Model Junction 1 . Not a great choice. It seems you have to 'reserve' locos if you want more choice.

Gaugemaster are currently showing 'to order' the newly announced run of Altas GP40-2s with sound, at an eye watering price of £275.00 plus p&p.  This is around £50.00 more then I paid for my GP40-2 from Trainworld.

The 2 brand new CSX freight cars (see post #21) have now been weathered using only 2 humbrol spray cans.

An overall coat of matt varnish followed by a couple of light passes of no 29 dark brown. Quick and easy and gives a good base for further weathering with dry brush and powders.

post-7898-0-07645800-1483185861_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-74125100-1483185879_thumb.jpg

Happy New Year!

Archived