Oxford Rail GWR Dean Goods...

coachmann

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Edwardian said:

I do not recall, however, whether the improvements to the cut-out that Locomotion insisted upon led to an improvement for the main range and, if so, which Oxford models benefited from that?

Yes, the "main range" was also modified. The later batches had the same cutout as the Locomotion version.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
5 hours ago, OnTheBranchline said:

Not sure if anyone else has seen this but Sam's Trains had a poor runner (the GWR livered one) and basically he had to put a new motor in it to make it better.

I have to hand it to Sam. In spite of all the criticism he takes on RMweb, he is very resourceful.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, No Decorum said:

I have to hand it to Sam. In spite of all the criticism he takes on RMweb, he is very resourceful.

I agree for the most part (I do think his titles/thumbnails are a bit click-baity and some of the 'tests' he does are a bit silly).

• Like 1

On 11/02/2023 at 13:28, OnTheBranchline said:

I agree for the most part (I do think his titles/thumbnails are a bit click-baity and some of the 'tests' he does are a bit silly).

Oh yes, there’s a lot to criticise as well. False jeopardy is one. This is where he allows himself a set time, at the end of which he has either repaired a dud or throws it out. If that is really what he does, it seems an awful waste of a model which might have been put right in a few extra minutes. He isn’t very knowledgeable about the prototypes either but then he’s young and hasn’t had the lifetime’s experience many people on RMweb have.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• 8 months later...

My DG is a non runner and I made a classic mistake in not testing it when purchased over 2 years ago. I've found the problem , which is an odd one. The small circuit board that sits under the cab has no printed circuit! So the two motor wires are soldered to tabs which have no connection, same for the four wires from the tender and the two nickle silver loco pickup studs under the circuit board are all unconnected to each other. Anyone else come across this issue? I should add the motor works fine if connect wires directly to it.

Edited by w124bob
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

It was with no small amount of surprise that upon removing the moulded coal load in the tender of my WD Dean Goods, I was confronted by an exposed bit of the tender wiring setup.

I assume others have covered this on their models? I'll stick some thin black pasticard over it at some point and hope it doesn't interfere with the electrics.

Either that or I could cut down the coal load so only the lower part remains. That might be the smarter move. I'm not known for smart moves 😄

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got around to dcc fitting my DG. I've had it since they first came out. Turned out to be a marathon. I'm using a Hattons 8 pin decoder. Firstly I had to file down the supports that hold the pcb as there wasn't enough room for the plug to sit in the pcb and get the tender body on.

Then it ran like a bag of nails. I had run it in.

The wheels were wonky so straightened those out. The motor was sitting crooked and sits high so the universal doesn't align nicely. The holes in the centre of the rods are so big they pop out over the crankpins. When it does run the axles pull together so the centres change. I suspect the quartering is out.

Question is are the later ones any better or is it time to give up.

On 27/01/2024 at 18:54, didcot said:

Question is are the later ones any better...

The early releases had by general report a much superior motor with flywheels.

Finally got around to dcc fitting my DG. I've had it since they first came out...

Then it ran like a bag of nails. I had run it in.

The wheels were wonky so straightened those out. The motor was sitting crooked and sits high so the universal doesn't align nicely. The holes in the centre of the rods are so big they pop out over the crankpins. When it does run the axles pull together so the centres change. I suspect the quartering is out.

All the problems underlined are nothing to do with fitting a decoder, but overall describe a mechanism in a very worn condition; and DCC cannot provide a cure for this.

The question this begs is how did the mechanism come to be in this condition? 

...is it time to give up.

Only you know the answers to these last two questions.

The DG is the one Oxford traction model I haven't had hands on, so I cannot offer any direct advice from experience of this model. All of the radial tank, N7 and J27 have competent mechanism designs, and have generally performed equivalently to the comparable RTR OO brand's products that I own, with the N7 - of which I have multiple examples - the standout for its ample traction thanks to the much greater weight of this model. There's no downside to date from the N7's weight, and moreover these get far and away the most running; so if significant wear were to occur it would be on these models.

I don't see anything significantly different in the mechanism construction of the DG, based on  pictures posted on line. It should work well in my opinion.

• Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1