Twll Cach Exchange Sidings

br2975

Very nice, Brian.  Not sure about mixing coke and coal hoppers, but it's early days yet and the photo serves well to help visualise the concept.

Prototype for everything department ?

Courtesy of Bob Masterman.

Dia. 1/108 16 ton mineral branded 'COKEX' seen passing through Cardiff General station circa 1966, loaded with . . . . . . coke.

Not sure about the full meaning of the branding 'COKEX' - which I can't recall ever seeing; was it a version of 'COLEX' - 'SUB' - 'SUBEX' and 'SUBEX 2' which related to the potential condemning of a wagon once repairs exceeding a set amount became necessary, or one more loaded journey before withdrawal ?.

This could open a whole 'sub-topic' about the branding and routing instructions on South Wales wagons during the 1960s and early 1970s, such as

'COND' = 'Condemned' - the meaning is apparent, applied only to BR owned rolling stock. Some wagons carried the painted 'X' in a circle indicating the same thing.

'MTD'    = 'Move To Disposal' - applied to condemned Private Owner stock

'OJO'    = 'One Journey Only' - did this mean one journey before withdrawal, or one journey then repair ?

Brian R

post-1599-0-70519800-1518438768_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Prototype for everything department ?

Courtesy of Bob Masterman.

Dia. 1/108 16 ton mineral branded 'COKEX' seen passing through Cardiff General station circa 1966, loaded with . . . . . . coke.

Not sure about the full meaning of the branding 'COKEX' - which I can't recall ever seeing; was it a version of 'COLEX' - 'SUB' - 'SUBEX' and 'SUBEX 2' which related to the potential condemning of a wagon once repairs exceeding a set amount became necessary, or one more loaded journey before withdrawal ?.

This could open a whole 'sub-topic' about the branding and routing instructions on South Wales wagons during the 1960s and early 1970s, such as

'COND' = 'Condemned' - the meaning is apparent, applied only to BR owned rolling stock. Some wagons carried the painted 'X' in a circle indicating the same thing.

'MTD'    = 'Move To Disposal' - applied to condemned Private Owner stock

'OJO'    = 'One Journey Only' - did this mean one journey before withdrawal, or one journey then repair ?

Brian R

Perhaps it was labelled 'Coke,' then the 'X' added afterwards to indicate its condemnation/withdrawal?  Although I have to say that looks in pretty good nick for a 16T mineral!

Regards

Moxy

Most probably Hywel Thomas' excellent 'Morfa Bank Sidings' ?

http://www.emgauge70s.co.uk/layout_morfabank.html

Brian R

Unfortunately not, it was very much in the style of Ynysarwed Sidings with a similar unpronounceable to us English name - it is probably from the 1990s.

I remember seeing it and thinking I would love to operate it, it cried out everything that was South Wales Valleys post steam.

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps it was labelled 'Coke,' then the 'X' added afterwards to indicate its condemnation/withdrawal?  Although I have to say that looks in pretty good nick for a 16T mineral!

Regards

Moxy

It is running through platform 7 at Cardiff Central (given it's proximity to the Stanier BG on no.8 road Riverside and the panel box in the background) and is presumably (though of course not necessarily) headed for Barry or the Vale of Glamorgan route.  I cannot think of a regular flow of coke traffic in this direction, but my knowledge of such things is not exhaustive!  The similar load of the preceding wagon suggests a block train.

Circa 1966 was a time of mass mineral wagon withdrawals due to falling traffic, and a wagon would not have to be in particularly poor state to be a candidate.  It is possible that the vehicle has been identified for early withdrawal but retained with the ad hoc branding for a short term contract.

OJO was, IIRC, slightly different from a green card.  Green cards were applied, in the label holder, to denote a vehicle authorised by a C & W examiner to travel one journey empty from the location at which the card was attached to a repair facility, but OJO was actually painted or chalked on the wagon, a more semi permanent instruction, and I believe the wagon could be loaded to a destination with this arrangement.  I am happy to be contradicted on this; Stationmaster to the thread please, paging Stationmaster.  

A 'COND' vehicle was worked empty, one journey only, delivery to the scrap merchant or workshop disposing of it.

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just caught up with this Brian.

Top drawer.

Rob.

Yes, a very inspirational and atmospheric South Walian layout.

Luckily I have both the MRJ articles.

Thanks for reminding me though.

Brian R

I would recommend an image search on Google for "Ynysarwed Sidings" which is a very inspirational 2mm finescale layout along the same theme and era as Twll Cach.

Here's a taster:

post-6843-0-58751100-1343221271.jpg

I saw this layout at Abingdon many years ago - it stuck with me and became one of the inspirations for City Basin Goods

Look forward to seeing Twll Cach

• Like 1

After a prolonged (electrical) hiatus, things are slowly getting "back on track" - I should have been a hack, writing cliches like that.

Being financially astute (tight) I elected to use up my stock of Peco and SeeP point motors fed via a CDU. SeeP motors have a semi-reliable polarity switch whereas Peco's older sliding polarity switch that clips onto their point motors are the crappiest product in crap town, resulting in dead sections when they fail to travel their full distance.

Luckily some RS micro switches 20+ years in the drawer came to the rescue.

Two SeeP motors remain to be fitted, below the boards, the Peco motors are above the board surface.

More updates to follow.

Brian R

Edited by br2975
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 19/02/2021 at 01:39, steaming_chris said:

Hi Brian

I come back to your layout with interest, though I can understand that the current lockdown will affect hobby supplies. Have you been able to make any more progress with your layout 

Regards

Since his last post, Brian has come up with more track plans and derivatives than I've had hot dinners:laugh_mini:.

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/02/2021 at 16:34, Happy Hippo said:

Since his last post, Brian has come up with more track plans and derivatives than I've had hot dinners:laugh_mini:.

Which would make Richard,  somewhere in the region of 24 stones in weight .......................

Edited by br2975
  • Funny 1

PRESS RELEASE;

The initial 'Twll Cach' concept was forced to take a back seat for several reasons, which I will not enter into here, solely because they are the usual, boredom inducing comments and statements such as 'lack of mojo' - lack of time and other demands on one's time.

However, I'm now fully retired, the house has been decorated from top to bottom, the roof covering on the man cave replaced.

"Twll Cach" Mk.1 has been dismantled, the trackwork and points recovered for re-use.

A new, larger 'Twll Cach' forming part of the BR (WR) Efflew Valley Branch will hopefully rise from the ashes.

Watch this space....................

Edited by br2975
  • Like 6