Midsomer Norton after closure

Somewhat to my surprise, I can not find anywhere a reasonably concise ‘timeline’ for events at MSN from closure in 1966 until the start of restoration work by the S&DRHT.

Track removal appears to have taken place in 1968-69, yet the track-work in the Colliery sidings (closed Feb 1966) seems to have gone earlier than that – was that perhaps removed by the NCB? But when and why was the signal-box demolished, as I’ve seen a photo of its ‘shell’ allegedly still standing in 1972. The site changed hands and purpose a number of times, during which the platform space appears to have been filled-in and then later dug-out again – but by whom, and why?  Was the toilet block on the Down platform a post-closure addition, and if so when?

Also, public goods traffic at MSN apparently ceased in June 1964, but was the goods-yard still used for any purpose thereafter? I’ve not come across anything yet to suggest that it was taken out of use and dismantled prior to 1966.

Any information would be appreciated – thanks!

Chris

• RMweb Premium

Certainly the H Lee photos you have seen shows the colliery sidings to have gone by 1967, although the track in the station and from memory the goods yard is still there. I thought the demolition was listed in one of the books about the line after closure?

No, I wasn't there until much later, and only then for a short time.

Yes, the Lee pictures do show the siding tracks gone in 1967, but the main-line stuff still in place. I just wondered how come the colliery track had been lifted so quickly after the colliery closed in early 1966, and exactly when, also whether - I'm guessing - that it was done by the NCB, as why would BR have bothered when it could otherwise have been taken away with the rest of the main-line? 

• RMweb Premium

I have some video of it late 90s still on VHS if it’s still ok, not sure on the date but I do know a steam loco was running at Radstock this particular day for some occasion. Doubt it will be much use for this subject though.

After the closure of the S & D it is my memory that the main station buildings and goods shed where taken over by Norton Hill Grammar School which was situated in Charlton Road nearby to the station. I believe It remained in there occupation for some considerable time and this would account for the fact that the buildings were not raised to the ground as they were just about every where else, when the demolition train was working up from the south.  The road bridge over the B3355 was removed as it was quite a low bridge.  I remember passing the Station quite frequently on the No 55 bus, which ran from Wells to Bath. Perhaps the Somerset County Record Office may be able to fill in dates etc as no doubt Somerset County Council would have been the owners.  

Edited by Malc2085

In Mac Hawkins' book "Somerset & Dorset, Then and Now"  he says that the Platform roads had been filled in in connection with a project for the nearby Somervale School but had subsequently been dug out again. He continues to say that the site currently (1985) was receiving attention from a YTS project and that the goods shed had been turned into a woodworking shop for their benefit.

In a later edition of this book (1995) he advises that the station site had remained intact thanks to a restoration project by Avon County Council Youth Training Programme which took over the work previously started as a school project in the 1970s.  He continues that later the station building and goods shed formed part of the Art and Design Department of Norton Radstock College until its sale in April 1995.

I don't know if there is a connection between Somervale School and Norton Hill Grammar School as mentioned above by Malc2085 but in any event we should thank them for their early involvement in preserving the site which no doubt was a major factor in the decision of the current preservation society to choose Midsomer Norton as their base. Hopefully I will be able to visit there in the near future and see their efforts for myself.

Jim

• 3 years later...

Just to add (a little late) the goods shed was definitely used for school lessons. I attending Somervale School from 1975 until 1982 and we had "plastic craft" (yes it was a subject!) sessions in the old goods shed in the 1975/76 timeframe. This generally involved setting fire to bits of plastic and filling the room with smoke. I do remember it being very cold in there during the winter and getting soaked getting there when it was raining as its quite a way from the actual school. 

Dave 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

It was taken over by Norton-Radstock College at some point.  I was a student there in 1991/2 on a C&G graphic design course, in both the station building and goods shed.

Norton-Radstock College was taken over by the City of Bath College (to form Bath College) a couple of years back.  The site at South Hill Park, Radders, is now known as the Somer Valley Campus (of Bath College).  They may be able to help you fill in some of the gaps, contact details should be on their site somewhere.

https://www.bathcollege.ac.uk

Cheers

Dubya

Edited by Tim Dubya