Collectors corner

hayfield

I have started to build up a small collection of 50's - 60's sheet metal kit built locos and wooden rolling stock, 32A suggested I post a few more pictures.

post-1131-127402618653_thumb.jpg

This is the photo that started it, an Eames ? King Arthur loco. In need of restoration on a triang chassis. Also an E2 on a Hornby Dublo 0-6-0t chassis re-wheeled with Romfords, I have repainted it and it is waiting for transfers.

post-1131-127402631621_thumb.jpg

My favorite a Jamieson A3 on a Triang chassis

post-1131-127402638096_thumb.jpg

This 56xx has a charm of its own H/D chassis again, has a Praire cab and there is a bulge at the bottom of the tanks and bunker sides. This loco is all about the compromises of early 50's modelling.

Please feel free to correct me on the origin of the locos, add your own photos or just add your recollections of modelling past

See the photo link in my sig for something of a "Heinz varieties" rendition of a Jamieson B1.

I've also got pics of a Jaypee model of a Stanier open 3rd coach, and this firm may have had some kind of tie with Jamieson too. Modelfair have had some pass through their hands for 35 quid and upwards so my example costing a couple of quid from a model shop's bargain bin plus new buffers, bogies, wheels, Ratio gangways and paint & transfers seems like a decent investment!

David

See the photo link in my sig for something of a "Heinz varieties" rendition of a Jamieson B1.

I've also got pics of a Jaypee model of a Stanier open 3rd coach, and this firm may have had some kind of tie with Jamieson too. Modelfair have had some pass through their hands for 35 quid and upwards so my example costing a couple of quid from a model shop's bargain bin plus new buffers, bogies, wheels, Ratio gangways and paint & transfers seems like a decent investment!

David

David the B1 is a nice model, thanks for sharing it. Were the Jaypee coaches prepainted, or were they the ones that were 2 sides and a roof in 1 piece in a brass coloured metal?

David the B1 is a nice model, thanks for sharing it. Were the Jaypee coaches prepainted, or were they the ones that were 2 sides and a roof in 1 piece in a brass coloured metal?

The examples sold by Modelfair came in both pre-painted (a spurious SR-liveried job) and unpainted versions but you're bang-on re. the construction, it's a one-piece brass stamping. I used to have an Exley 12-wheel restaurant car which I foolishly sold years ago (no pics survive) - similar construction but an aluminium pressing.

David

I think this is a Japee coach

post-1131-127420285604_thumb.jpg

I have attached LMS period 1 ends (May be wrong) and have a BSL floor to attach. Holes nave been drilled for handles, side grabs and roof furniture and roof vents etc, roof straps need re-doing.

post-1131-127420308344_thumb.jpg

I brought this body years ago (40+) missing 1 end which is east to replace as its just wood, it had bogies and bufferbeams at one time. Will look in my spares box. paint job 1050's weathering!

Just been in the spares box, I have found 2 bogies (holders fit the holes in the floor), there are some truss rods from the same era which will need to be adapted and un-fortunatly only one buffer beam

post-1131-127420562166_thumb.jpg

Has any one got one of these they could sell me please.

post-1131-12742056666_thumb.jpg

2 more photos of other coaches again brought 35+ years ago

post-1131-12742057951_thumb.jpg

GWR bullion coach, wooden body, card sides and roof

post-1131-127420590388_thumb.jpg

BSL / Hobbytime Ocean Mail, badly repainted and detailed by me again 35 years ago, I put PC bogies on it which I guess are wrong (will have the correct ones in my bogie box) and I fitted underframe details. Must repaint it it looks awful.

I think this is a Japee coach

post-1131-127420285604_thumb.jpg

I have attached LMS period 1 ends (May be wrong) and have a BSL floor to attach. Holes nave been drilled for handles, side grabs and roof furniture and roof vents etc, roof straps need re-doing.

Yup, definitely a Jaypee offering. Mine doesn't have the roof banding - though I probably ought to have added it before I painted the thing! Ho hum.

David

Yup, definitely a Jaypee offering. Mine doesn't have the roof banding - though I probably ought to have added it before I painted the thing! Ho hum.

David

David

The banding needs re doing, I think tape can be brought. As for the coach I think it is a Stannier open vestibule 3rd class coach, or thats the nearest drawing to it.

As for the roof bands, could you not tape it now and just repaint the roof?

I might get round to amending the roof one of these days. I'm fairly sure it's a Period 3 Stanier TO as well. Does yours have any interior fittings? Mine was fitted out with individual carved wooden 2+2 seating (no tables though), quite neatly done too.

David

I might get round to amending the roof one of these days. I'm fairly sure it's a Period 3 Stanier TO as well. Does yours have any interior fittings? Mine was fitted out with individual carved wooden 2+2 seating (no tables though), quite neatly done too.

David

I brought it at a swap meet 15+ years ago just as a 1 piece sides and roof, ends were in a spares box.

post-1131-127429712159_thumb.jpg

Another wooden coach, painted red & cream one side and red the other ! has sprung wheels within the bogies, open coach with 2 a side seating. I guess its LMS but not too sure

Your latest addition is a rendition of a post war LNER Thompson corridor coach, note the oval toilet windows. LMS Stanier post war stock had round toilet windows by contrast.

Hope this assists.

Yup, definitely LNER pattern - if you look closely it has the usual curved rainstrip running the full length of the roof too. Thompson stock started off with square corners to the main windows, but some did end up like this one after the square type was found to be prone to corrosion resulting in a re-design by Peppercorn and the use of a rounded-off style.

David

Jamieson 'Black 5' beautifully constructed but the builder cheated with Hornby Dublo cylinders and valve gear.

Lovely model. Yes, the VG and cylinders are HD but none the worse for that (but I've just had a thought - is that loco number compatible with the domed boiler for the early red-on-black paint scheme?).

David

Not one of the better locos in my collection, a GWR Prairie again either Jamieson / Eames

post-1131-127468710642_thumb.jpg

Lots of extra detail added from the basic kit, both soldering and painting is a bit heavy. But then there was no small high wattage soldering irons around then and most modellers brush painted their models

post-1131-127468721193_thumb.jpg

The chassis is missing all of the motion gear and cylinders and needs a new motor and gears. Someone has tried to refurbish the chassis, new Romfords fitted but the other parts must have either been lost or seperated from the chassis. A Comet gear box fits inside the frames and I guess I could also fit a set of Comet cylinders coupling and connecting rods, if I go to that trouble I should then have a go at reducing the solder blobs around the hand rails etc. Still it will stay as it is for quite some time.

• 6 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for that

Relisted and on its way to keep the one I already have company.... (Birthday present from SWMBO - She doesn't know yet though!)

Will report on developments. (I think I've said that before....)

The postage is a tad more than last time - 6½d (something like 60-75p in today's money). Judging by the George VI stamps it must have been forties/early fifties (not necessarily pre -1952 though, as they remained valid for a while).

The one I have is in GWR livery (it came ready finished a few years ago and has been decorating a shelf in the lounge ever since), but this one will be in LMS livery (or possibly BR(M)) if I decide to assemble it rather than keep it as kit. I don't really hold with the collector's idea of keeping the original kit. Kits were/are  made to be assembled and enjoyed. (I do intend to put all that box of kits together one day!   :O )

• RMweb Premium

The postage is a tad more than last time - 6½d (something like 60-75p in today's money). Judging by the George VI stamps it must have been forties/early fifties (not necessarily pre -1952 though, as they remained valid for a while).

Would not the KG VI stamps be valid up until the change to decimal currency (plus whatever overlap was allowed)?

Likewise, any decimal stamps would still be valid - except you would need rather more of them! I'd guess 1/2p components don't count singularly, but 2 x 2 1/2p count as 5p?

Of course the value of the stamps, might well exceed their postage value, but the Post Office wouldn't care about that! Assuming that the first PO staff member doesn't cut them off, if valuable.

I used to buy stuff from Holts of Swansea and the packages (posted to Australia), used to come covered with low value stamps. You could pay for small orders with postage stamps (within the UK at least), IIRC, hence the proliferation of low value stamps.

Would not the KG VI stamps be valid up until the change to decimal currency (plus whatever overlap was allowed)?

Likewise, any decimal stamps would still be valid - except you would need rather more of them! I'd guess 1/2p components don't count singularly, but 2 x 2 1/2p count as 5p?

Of course the value of the stamps, might well exceed their postage value, but the Post Office wouldn't care about that! Assuming that the first PO staff member doesn't cut them off, if valuable.

I used to buy stuff from Holts of Swansea and the packages (posted to Australia), used to come covered with low value stamps. You could pay for small orders with postage stamps (within the UK at least), IIRC, hence the proliferation of low value stamps.

Any decimal stamps are still valid for postage. It is possible to buy stamps for postage at around 15% below face value from dealers/ wholesalers if you buy quantities (say £100 at a time) - well worth doing if you use Royal Mail a lot. These are often multiple of lower value stamps to make up first or second class, which is why you received packages with lots of low value stamps.

I think the stamps remained valid until decimal currency came in as stated, but it's unlikely that a pair would be around for long after the QE II stamps appeared (not impossible of course) - I'll have to see if I can decipher the postmark when it arrives.

Now, do I leave it as it is? build it as the manufacturer intended? or do the job properly?

First job is to find a set of vintage LMS bogies. I should have some Trix ones....  I've got some T & S ones somewhere, but IIRC they're GWR.

Another one!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JAY-PEE-METAL-COACH-KIT-OO-GAUGE-BOXED-/302196855482?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276

Interesting.....Did they come pre-painted...? ......JUST THE BOX HAS BEEN OPENED.”   

Possibly The one I already had has what looks like a factory finish (I could be wrong on this) but the new one is plain brass sheet. It has 2 pieces of plywood which presumably are for the floor and roof support and require cutting to size, though the ends are a snug fit in the brass body. It needs bogies and I was lucky enough to acquire the remains of a Farish Pullman (Minerva) last Saturday. Unusually it has all four buffers and neither truss rod unit is broken, though the rest is scrap (the floor is bowed into a neat arc and the body is all curvy). The plus is that the bogies have been replaced with Nucro LMS ones. Ideal for the Jaypee kit!    :)

This kit (it again looks like it could be a factory finish) is incomplete. There should be a sheet of celluloid for the windows. (Not a great loss, it's true) and some square nails for the truss rods. The celluloid is supposed to be held in place by being sandwiched between the ends and the body (Dubious of this, I tried it - without great success - it's difficult to get it to lie flat against the window apertures and fit around the ends). If I assemble the kit, I'll use a strip of something more suitable for the windows. I've got some acrylic sheet that should do. No mention is made of gangways, but they are easily made from folded black paper. Presumably available from your local model shop at the time. I fitted my Dublo coaches with them a few years later - 10d a set LMS or LNER style (i.e. round top or rectangular). It's not the most brilliant of kits, but would look quite respectable in a moving train. At least it has flush windows.

Unfortunately the postmark is completely indecipherable.

EDIT

I note this one has a different address from mine. 

Mine is "Jaypee", 45 Symonds* Rd. Preston Lancs.

One of the branches of my family that can't spell their name properly!    :jester:

Archived