Cheapo train sets....get creative!

33C

Right, here we go again! Saw a video on youtube of the Riga sugar mill with a lovely shunter. A metre gauge, Hudswell Clarke 0-8-0ST, built 1930, no. 1644. So, out with a cheapo train set loco and lets get cracking...

20220617_191006.jpg

20201228_195339.jpg

20221119_222512.jpg

20221129_151646.jpg

20221129_151700.jpg

20221203_173358.jpg

Edited by 33C
Missing letter.
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

And after a bit of weathering, i think i've captured the spirit of Riga! (the headlight on the original was broken but on mine she shines again!)

20221206_135007.jpg

20221206_135111.jpg

20221206_135616.jpg

Edited by 33C
Missing letter.
  • Like 12

• 3 months later...

My cheap ebay purchase of two Revell "Big Boys" got me thinking, what if........"Pass the cheapo train sets!" Pic. 1+2, the raw material. Pic. 3, the front, unpowered, engine. Pic. 4, the powered engine. Pic. 5, battery mounting in firebox and on/off switch on boiler top disguised as a valve. Pic. 6, minimal amount of wheels on tender! 

20230204_134647.jpg

20230222_171024.jpg

20230321_205935.jpg

20230321_205912.jpg

20230321_205850.jpg

20230321_210004.jpg

• Like 2

The finished locomotive and yes, she does run round my first radius curves. (Video on Flickr). "I am a serious modeller nurse!"

20230321_204856.jpg

20230321_204923.jpg

Edited by 33C
added detail
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, 33C said:

The finished locomotive and yes, she does run round my first radius curves. (Video on Flickr). "I am a serious modeller nurse!"

20230321_204856.jpg

20230321_204923.jpg

What you manage to do to these things is truly astonishing @33C. Every time this thread pops up on my feed it makes me want to go to a boot sale/charity shop and have a go.

I can honestly say that it’s all rather inspiring and I’m sure I’m not the only one that you’ve made think about things in a different way…

• Agree 8
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Cowley 47521 said:

What you manage to do to these things is truly astonishing @33C. Every time this thread pops up on my feed it makes me want to go to a boot sale/charity shop and have a go.

I can honestly say that it’s all rather inspiring and I’m sure I’m not the only one that you’ve made think about things in a different way…

Glad you like it! That's what i'm aiming for, putting the fun, with a capital F, into the hobby! Got so many ideas kicking about in my head so, when i find something in the charity shop, at the flea market or on ebay, for no money, it's a quick way to realise a model. And, in these tough times, for pennies. Just had a tot up and the loco took about a month of tinkering and came to £7.47 all in. Cheapo!

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 33C changed the title to Cheapo train sets....get creative!
On 21/03/2023 at 23:30, Cowley 47521 said:

Been in the charity shop yet? 

Go on, go on, go on, go on, go on.........

Don't forget they sell those "Trains of the world" type, coffee table books, usually for a quid, and there's plenty of inspiration in those AND in full colour! 

Go on, go on etc...

• Like 1

On 21/03/2023 at 21:45, 33C said:

20230321_204856.jpg

20230321_204923.jpg

Your ambition and ingenuity with these projects seem boundless! Bet that looks hilarious going round first radius curves (did you have to do a bit of lineside 'ground clearance' before its first run..........or did the loco do it for you?! 😃)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Halvarras said:

Your ambition and ingenuity with these projects seem boundless! Bet that looks hilarious going round first radius curves (did you have to do a bit of lineside 'ground clearance' before its first run..........or did the loco do it for you?! 😃)

No, surprisingly. I always make sure anything I make will go round the inner oval, which, I think, is tighter than 1st radius! And yes, it is funny watching it go round, and nerve racking....

• Funny 2

A quick trawl of Amazon finds cheapo, battery train sets like the "Train set in a Tin" type, for under a fiver, post free. Granted they are Christmas trains but its a power unit and wagon chassis. Just need cereal packet card, UHU/hot/super glue and an idea!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, 33C said:

A quick trawl of Amazon finds cheapo, battery train sets like the "Train set in a Tin" type, for under a fiver, post free. Granted they are Christmas trains but it’s a power unit and wagon chassis. Just need cereal packet card, UHU/hot/super glue and an idea!

As well as the ‘train set in a tin’ there is a smaller and cheaper version - no straight track, only curves, but same types of rolling stock (only 2 wagons though).

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, 33C said:

Been in the charity shop yet? 

Go on, go on, go on, go on, go on.........

Don't forget they sell those "Trains of the world" type, coffee table books, usually for a quid, and there's plenty of inspiration in those AND in full colour! 

Go on, go on etc...

Not yet because I’ve been at work all week, but I might well crack under this sustained pressure this weekend…

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Cowley 47521 said:

Not yet because I’ve been at work all week, but I might well crack under this sustained pressure this weekend…

Looking forward to what's lurking in your mind....just seen an Esci loco kit, part started, on ebay, for 99p start, and lots of cheap Faller stuff. What fun!

2 hours ago, rockershovel said:

Thats hilarious! Compared to some of the locos I've seen in videos of Lionel and MTH the overhangs on that really aren't bad!

See what I mean, nerve-wracking! 

I love the fact you have a Rowland Emmett inspired engine sitting there 33C. I lived in Hemel Hempstead for a long time, where theres a huge public mural in the town centre done by him incorporating elements of his fantasy railway designs

Also, that SR EMU looks familiar ;-)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Captain Slough said:

I love the fact you have a Rowland Emmett inspired engine sitting there 33C. I lived in Hemel Hempstead for a long time, where theres a huge public mural in the town centre done by him incorporating elements of his fantasy railway designs

Also, that SR EMU looks familiar ;-)

Thanks, the Emett train was a boot-sale bargain. Found it, badly damaged, in a carrier bag on the floor with some plumbing parts. Cost? £5! Hornby powered, most of the bits were there and it went together ok. After the missing bits were remade and a repaint, based on the few, coloured drawings i could find, it runs well, but is very top heavy. Judicious placing of lead, low down, helps stability. They turned out to be Smallbrook models. The EMU is settling in......

20220109_134354.jpg

20220109_133935.jpg

Edited by 33C
added photo.
  • Like 6

On 23/03/2023 at 20:12, Cowley 47521 said:

Did you crack...........

22 hours ago, 33C said:

Did you crack...........

No but I did have a look on eBay over the weekend. I was thinking about getting something around the £12 mark as a starter but I’ve not quite formulated in my mind what I want to do yet. Some kind of narrow gauge industrial affair though probably.

• Like 1