Cheapo train sets....get creative!

33C

23 minutes ago, Cowley 47521 said:

It’s fantastic 33C. Really brutal looking as well.

A bit steampunk? ......AND, i've still got the teabags! Ah ha ha ha ha ha!

• Funny 1

6 minutes ago, Mark Saunders said:

I went to the local garage but instead of returning with a set of glasses, I came back with a free train set instead!

9BB8F66A-B8D3-4B53-9F13-5FCA5EEF52C1.jpeg

Result! That loco behind the B12 looks mysterious.....

Looks like there's a pair of Tri-ang Hornby converter wagons there too, I remember the RRP of these being very low when they first appeared and thinking that pairs of them would be an economical way of assembling a coal train. They only came in black, repainting into PO liveries might have been a stretch but Humbrol BR grey enamel could be cheaply bought in Woolworths at the time.......

• Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Halvarras said:

. They only came in black, repainting into PO liveries might have been a stretch but Humbrol BR grey enamel could be cheaply bought in Woolworths at the time.......

I painted a number of converter wagons back in the 1960s.

14 Highbridge Vicarage layout mk3 PO wagons.jpg

PO wagons handpainted c1965.jpg

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, Mark Saunders said:

DD5B7DC8-DF06-4B10-8F0A-11927CFC7BFE.jpeg

If you think that looks a bit clunky, see what I did on a K's six wheel tender drive, back in the '60s. I didn't cut the chassis down to four-wheel, as I thought I might use it for a City of Truro power up.

IMG_0072.JPG

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

14 hours ago, crackedmember said:

Hard to tell, but could it possibly be an ex Caledonian Railway Pacific Tank.

Yes, it definitely is an ex Caledonian Railway Pacific Tank or, as the Caley referred to them, a 944 class.  The body looks pretty good (damage aside) and would be easily repairable (an old DJH kit perhaps?) but it would benefit from an upgrade to the chassis, which appears to be a vintage Tri-ang one, as well as it being in need of a missing pair of cylinders.

Most of them made it into BR stock, with the last one going in 1953.

Worth salvaging, I would say.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Wolseley said:

Yes, it definitely is an ex Caledonian Railway Pacific Tank or, as the Caley referred to them, a 944 class.  The body looks pretty good (damage aside) and would be easily repairable (an old DJH kit perhaps?) but it would benefit from an upgrade to the chassis, which appears to be a vintage Tri-ang one, as well as it being in need of a missing pair of cylinders.

Most of them made it into BR stock, with the last one going in 1953.

Worth salvaging, I would say.

If anyone thinks it worth salvaging they can have it for the cost of postage?

image.jpg

1 hour ago, Mark Saunders said:

If anyone thinks it worth salvaging they can have it for the cost of postage?

image.jpg

I'm Tony Robinson, welcome to Time Team's next dig! PM me.

• 2 months later...
17 hours ago, 33C said:

Finished loco. Now need another cheapo project and some A/L!

20220930_145547.jpg

Digital photography is its usual cruel self but from normal viewing distance this looks quite presentable - well done, nice rescue!

Are the proportions of this model correct? If so I can't help wondering why it was designed with a cab so low compared to the height of the chimney - it's almost like the cab belongs to something else! Or the running plate step-down under the cab wasn't necessary....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Halvarras said:

Digital photography is its usual cruel self but from normal viewing distance this looks quite presentable - well done, nice rescue!

Are the proportions of this model correct? If so I can't help wondering why it was designed with a cab so low compared to the height of the chimney - it's almost like the cab belongs to something else! Or the running plate step-down under the cab wasn't necessary....

Yes, the cab is low, as is the prototype, and considering what it is made from, the original builder has done a good job. Your right about digital photography though, on the layout my lining looks dead straight! (except where the solder runneth over.....) I could have gone down the LMS black route but i'm a glutton for punishment and besides, the pre-group liveries are very nice. But, she's a silky mover and that's all you could want.

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

13 hours ago, 33C said:

Yes, the cab is low, as is the prototype, and considering what it is made from, the original builder has done a good job. Your right about digital photography though, on the layout my lining looks dead straight! (except where the solder runneth over.....) I could have gone down the LMS black route but i'm a glutton for punishment and besides, the pre-group liveries are very nice. But, she's a silky mover and that's all you could want.

Caledonian blue is certainly very attractive, and an excellent reason in itself to restore the model!

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Halvarras said:

Caledonian blue is certainly very attractive, and an excellent reason in itself to restore the model!

Humbrol no. 48 Mediterranean blue. Not a bad match I hope.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 16/07/2022 at 21:53, 33C said:

And the comparison pictures.

20201124_210201.jpg

20220716_184156.jpg

Finally got round to making some rolling stock to go with this beast! Used the train set wagon chassis and bogies with cardboard bodies. All based on Kalka Shimla Railway vehicles. (Photo's show construction methods, primer and lettering.)

20221110_123906.jpg

20221110_123841.jpg

20221110_123856.jpg

20221110_124236.jpg

20221110_130822.jpg

20221114_162328.jpg

20221114_162353.jpg

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 1