Liscombe - 7mm GWR station - small shunting layout

PMP99

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Not much progress recently as other matters have taken priority, However I have weathered the roof of the Dapol suburban coach, and fitted it with Dingham couplings.

Will be concentrating on the 4mm layout for a while now.

IMG_1410_1.png

Edited by PMP99
  • Like 6

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Back on the winter project as it’s getting too cold to work in the garage on the 4mm layout.

A start has been made on the platform supporting walls.

IMG_1818_1.png

Edited by PMP99
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Henry C said:

I just now discovered this but I must say Im impressed! What you have done in the amount of space you have is impressive and Im looking forward to seeing more updates.

Thanks Henry C for your kind comments. I’m no expert modeller but it provides a bit of enjoyment trying to do my best, and hopefully learning a bit as I go along.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Andrew Young said:

Nice platform, is it a softwood frame with styrene on top? Had been pondering how to do mine. 

Cheers,

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Yes, exactly that. It is actually a balsa frame, but only because I inherited a load of balsa so it was a cheap option. Otherwise I would have probably used something with a bit more strength.

Graham

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

The platform sides have been lined. I used a downloadable brick paper which I printed onto artists watercolour paper to try and give it a bit more texture than just plain card. Not really sure that made much difference though.

The brick piers cover the joins in the paper.

IMG_1825_1.png

Edited by PMP99
  • Like 7

4 hours ago, PMP99 said:

The platform sides have been lined. I used a downloadable brick paper which I printed onto artists watercolour paper to try and give it a bit more texture than just plain card. Not really sure that made much difference though.

The brick piers cover the joins in the paper.

8B4EC719-A9F5-4E4E-A823-E1CCE7D90F72.jpeg

71808614-4CC7-4376-B42C-4B06BCF21572.jpeg

Interesting, you have adopted a similar method to me:

P1010027-001.JPG.f18e84eaac23f77342b4719bf95e94a1.JPG

This is the Scalescenes kit.  Structure is 5mm foam core as is the platform top.  Edging is on self adhesive label.  In fact all my buildings use Scalescenes brick paper.  e.g. The signal box, water tower and station are Lcut but faced with brick paper.

Great minds and all that...

John

Edited by brossard
  • Like 5
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, brossard said:

Interesting, you have adopted a similar method to me:

P1010027-001.JPG.f18e84eaac23f77342b4719bf95e94a1.JPG

This is the Scalescenes kit.  Structure is 5mm foam core as is the platform top.  Edging is on self adhesive label.  In fact all my buildings use Scalescenes brick paper.  e.g. The signal box, water tower and station are Lcut but faced with brick paper.

Great minds and all that...

John

Looks good John, you’ve got a nice size layout to work with too.

Graham

• RMweb Premium

Prior to progressing the platform further, I have started thinking about a backscene. As a first stage I am putting a retaining wall along the whole length of the layout.

Similar construction to the platform walls. 
The next stage is to add some coping stones to the top.

IMG_1828_1.png

IMG_1829_1.png

Edited by PMP99
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I have spent some time on making up low relief buildings from downloadable sources to add to the back scene. 
They are printed in 4mm scale as firstly I could not easily scale them up with my printer, and secondly I hoped it might give a suggestion of perspective.

These are just an interim option, as long term I aim to make some scratch built replacements, however that is some way off !

IMG_1973_1.png

IMG_1974_1.png

Edited by PMP99
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Barnaby said:

That fencing look the business.

Thanks Barnaby, it’s just the Peco GWR spear fencing, but it is quite effective, and simple which is a bonus to me!

Graham

Edited by PMP99
Correction