Freelance Industrial Layout Essex Brick

This continues to be the most bonkers and brilliant project, loving the updates :)

What might sound a silly question, but I'm working on it myself: how are you planning to operate it? What rationale drives moves, what generates traffic etc?

Good one Schooner, I suppose I should put some pics of the electronic operational side.

A brief description, I am using DCC++ and MERG booster with Arduino Nanos controlling the sliding fiddle yard, track sensors, point/mini turntable servos and anything else that needs to move or have lights.

Point servos etc are connected to the Nanos via PCA9685's. These can be piggy backed so for each Nano you can have about 900 outputs, not too sad.

The SFY is controlled by 1 Nano with about 160 different track positions and an accuracy of 80 steps per mm.

Track sensors are reed switches imbedded and connected to Nano inputs.

The whole lot runs on the RS485 bus system.

Software is JMRI/CMRI running on a touch screen windows 10 mini pc. Throttles are old mobiles running Engine driver through an old broadband router.

I will be automating running (in theory) using YAAT on JMRI.

Trains and canal boats are next on the list to make. At the moment I only have test pieces to run.

Things will slow down this time of year as it is campervan season, so out and about for a while.

Eddy

Edited by EDDY100
  • Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

I have put 2 videos on my YouTube channel how I made the walls.

They are aimed at the railway modeller who would like to learn a new technique.

If you are an expert please don't comment saying you should do this and that.

If you reckon they are no good please make your own video's and post.

For the average modeller please enjoy and if you need any help please comment on the tube.

Part 1

Part 2

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Eddy I do like the 3D printed wall, looks great. I'm sure to watch your videos as they are informative and people like myself can have a go at a different technique of modelling tbings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My YouTube channel.

After much research and head scratching I think I have cracked the method of any wall, any texture, any window style, any scale. It is quiet involved using SketchUp and Blender but results are I think close to the real thing. I just need better painting skills. I will be making videos on this technique and posting on my channel if anyone fancies a go.

Wall 002.png

Wall 17.png

• Like 2

This is my final proof of concept building. Building designed in SketchUp, textures applied in Blender and assembled in PrusaSlicer. Roof is FDM printed the rest is resin. Window glazing bars are .2mm, which came out well. I know this technique works well now so I will move on to some cranes I started some weeks ago. Check out my YouTube channel for some easy to follow How To Videos. All programs I use are freeware so it will cost nothing to have a go. Eddy

How To Videos Here

Pic 01.png

Pic 2.png

Pic 01.jpg

Pic 02.jpg

Pic 03.jpg

Pic 04.jpg

Pic 06.jpg

Pic 07.jpg

Pic 08.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks Mike. I do get told I should be making and selling. I have been retired for 11 years now and I enjoy the easy life, do what I want when I want within reason (if the wife lets me). Also I will be out in my campervan very soon for a few months so running a business is off the cards.

I do like a challenge that's why I spent a bit of time getting that wall technique sorted, now it's done move on to something else.

I have seen lots of people who say there techniques are secret and wont share. Not my style it has not cost me anything just a bit of time and I have learnt loads by doing it.

Eddy

• Like 1

Ian not a cheeky request, I don't mind sharing my work.

The basic principle of the SFY is setup using  JMRI/CMRI or you can add a numpad as the input.

I did have a numpad but found it was a double up so stuck with JMRI/CMRI.

I use basic nem 17 steppers with basic stepper drivers, you don't need silent steppers.

All inputs to move the SFY use the RS485 bus to a Nano.

Setup Nano as a SUSIC CMRI node as it will give you loads of SFY positions.

Don't use the same Nano to report back to CMRI as I found the packets crash and you get all sorts of problems.

Use another Nano as separate node, output the first Nano to input on the second Nano to report back to CMRI.

Sketch, set SFY to zero.

Move to rest position.

Input track position.

Check no obstructions.

SFY moves to new position and will not accept any commands while moving.

and that's about it.

Eddy

Sketch GitHub page

4 hours ago, EDDY100 said:

Ian not a cheeky request, I don't mind sharing my work.

The basic principle of the SFY is setup using  JMRI/CMRI or you can add a numpad as the input.

I did have a numpad but found it was a double up so stuck with JMRI/CMRI.

I use basic nem 17 steppers with basic stepper drivers, you don't need silent steppers.

All inputs to move the SFY use the RS485 bus to a Nano.

Setup Nano as a SUSIC CMRI node as it will give you loads of SFY positions.

Don't use the same Nano to report back to CMRI as I found the packets crash and you get all sorts of problems.

Use another Nano as separate node, output the first Nano to input on the second Nano to report back to CMRI.

Sketch, set SFY to zero.

Move to rest position.

Input track position.

Check no obstructions.

SFY moves to new position and will not accept any commands while moving.

and that's about it.

Eddy

Sketch GitHub page

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply I am intending to use a stepper driven sector plate on the next layout. I want to make it 'universal'. so I can use it on other projects. I have done a few things with a Uno, and am picking up on programming again, albeit slowly! Many Thanks again!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Mk2 of an attempt to animate 00/HO figures and yes I know it has 2 Right arms :D  :D 
All 3d printed.

Video here on my channel.

This is just a proof of concept. The head and torso are also movable. Both legs are hollow so a couple of thin wires could be routed up a leg to give the figure the option of a lamp.
Any pose is doable and you could have them holding or moving any object of your choice.
That's the joy of 3d printing, you are in control of what ends up on your layout.
https://youtube.com/channel/UCn2oLJrPsTWksH5S2Qy2N7g

image.png.58f528f7dadf36babb4bc8d22740ca3b.png

Edited by EDDY100
  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 3 weeks later...

I just stumbled across your YouTube channel this evening and put a search into RM Web for Essex Brick in the hope hat there was a thread and WOW! What a goldmine!

Really impressed with how you've made it all look so easy. Did you find the learning curve with the various software very steep? I'm sure to have many, many more questions for you.

• Like 1