7mm /1:43 Leyland National bus build

On 25/02/2022 at 20:39, 37114 said:

Jo at Steadfast @Steadfast has worked his magic on the transfers again for the National with these beauties;20220225_194533.jpg.ea83167d0f9a0a6f2b9aecc1f7f43dc1.jpg

This is the 3rd project I have done where Jo has supplied the transfers and as before the transfers have gone on perfectly. Jo spent quite a bit of time on the details such as the operators details behind the front wheel and the depot ID plates and the end result is excellent.

20220225_201722.jpg.2f720d832ee1030f03038a9ee91469e9.jpg

20220225_201710.jpg.6c84673bec9b10bd7d0eaa2cfe44fa61.jpg

Hi Rob, 

Thanks for the kind words, really happy that you're so chuffed with them. The miswound route name and number are highlights for me, copied of course from one of the reference pictures.  The transfers really look the part on the National, proper job! I also like the subdued colours on the rear lights, as a kid I remember buses and coaches always having huge rectangular lights, usually looking smokey and dark. Can't wait to are it finished.

Jo

• Like 3

So it feels like the start of the home straight on the National build now as I have fitted the glazing. My chosen method was to fit the glazing strips supplied behind the window pillars then put the frames in the appatures on the outside of the glazing. While this saves time, the window pillars are quite thick no doubt for structural reasons meaning the windows look more recessed than I would have liked. If I did another one of these I would bite the bullet and cut individual windows for each appature.

Before I fitted the windscreen I fitted the internal bulkheads I had made S well as the seats not mounted to the floor

20220306_094623.jpg.95d34936fa3467d16ba47914f7ed743b.jpg

With the windscreen in, I could put the interior in for what will be the last time during the build phase as well as glue the wheels in meaning it is startingto look a complete bus;

20220306_094642.jpg.84977129c75355ec3f52b8fdd8032ad4.jpg

Still to do at the front are fit the mirrors, the windscreen wiper and make a dividing bar for the windscreen 

20220306_102128.jpg.46f45f9b9ddc923980572e3228e5f0ed.jpg

From the back I am pleased how the seat framing came out, I also have fitted the original style exhaust as well

I need to make up a fan for behind the grille and a handle for the emergency exit door.

20220306_102136.jpg.4602bbeb48de2771844df04a218e897e.jpg

All being well I will finish it in time for the SWAG members day and will put it on display on top of the layout.

Edited by 37114
Add photos back in
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Steve has posted on the MIOG Facebook page, he has a Alexander Y type Leyland Leopard,Leyland National 2 and AEC Swift under development. 

Also has Bedford TK,Atkinson Boarderer and Guy J4 tractor units in development aswell. 

I know his kits ain't perfect and do take a bit of work but they should prove to be useful. 

Rob

• Informative/Useful 2

10 hours ago, Lord Flashheart said:

Steve has posted on the MIOG Facebook page, he has a Alexander Y type Leyland Leopard,Leyland National 2 and AEC Swift under development. 

Also has Bedford TK,Atkinson Boarderer and Guy J4 tractor units in development aswell. 

I know his kits ain't perfect and do take a bit of work but they should prove to be useful. 

Rob

Thanks for sharing Rob, sounds like he has a busy pipeline. The Atkinson and Guy will be good choices as they were widespread and were part of some big fleets. The TK is an interesting choice as the IXO model is excellent and still widely available 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
33 minutes ago, D6775 said:

Hi Rob, where did you get fleet numbers and destinations etc from? I've got one in the works at the moment and struggling for transfers!

Hi Al, Jo @Steadfast did them as a custom job for me, I found a load of pictures which I used to provide the destination blinds etc and Jo sorted the rest for me, see pic below;

20220225_194533.jpg.c6909aec3e4c1f66c9aee0d799d6dabf.jpg

The Leyland badges and National emblems etc are obviously generic so would suit whichever bus you are doing.

I would be interested to see how you get on building your one, I think Steve has improved a few things on the model since I bought mine

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, 37114 said:

Hi Al, Jo @Steadfast did them as a custom job for me, I found a load of pictures which I used to provide the destination blinds etc and Jo sorted the rest for me, see pic below;

20220225_194533.jpg.c6909aec3e4c1f66c9aee0d799d6dabf.jpg

The Leyland badges and National emblems etc are obviously generic so would suit whichever bus you are doing.

I would be interested to see how you get on building your one, I think Steve has improved a few things on the model since I bought mine

Thanks Rob!

Al @D6775 if you like the look of Rob's National decals, feel free to drop me an email to steadfastmodels@outlook.com and we can have a chat about what you need. I should be able to modify the artwork easy enough.

Emails might take a few days to reply to as I'm on leave at the moment, and we've got a few days away etc.

Jo 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, 37114 said:

I should have just read the thread shouldn't I! teach me to do things when I am tired and not paying attention!

It was your build that made me think that I could actually do something with Steve's kit. Still a way to go as i brock parts of the chassis trying to get everything to fit. I will scratch build a new one at some point. Windows and glazing to fit but its not too bad.  Not quite as tidy as yours but it will do the job!

SPTELeylandNational.jpg.b308825ce27ec78250b8fe7085270de5.jpg

@Steadfast I will drop you a line, its mainly the generic stuff off Robs sheet but with a different Reg plate and destination. In no major rush.

• Like 3

On 14/06/2023 at 19:35, D6775 said:

I should have just read the thread shouldn't I! teach me to do things when I am tired and not paying attention!

It was your build that made me think that I could actually do something with Steve's kit. Still a way to go as i brock parts of the chassis trying to get everything to fit. I will scratch build a new one at some point. Windows and glazing to fit but its not too bad.  Not quite as tidy as yours but it will do the job!

SPTELeylandNational.jpg.b308825ce27ec78250b8fe7085270de5.jpg

@Steadfast I will drop you a line, its mainly the generic stuff off Robs sheet but with a different Reg plate and destination. In no major rush.

Looking good Al!

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, D6775 said:

A little rough round the edges but I am happy, think this is essentially done for the SBT Leyland National. Still need to sort the interior but that shouldn't take too long. Not quite as tidy as yours @37114!

SPTELeylandNational3.jpg.d04bf31749cd410d2f40410c0ecc372d.jpg

Combination of Railtec (SPTE Logo's) and @Steadfast models (Thanks Jo).

Nice one Al, that's come together nicely. Glad to have been able to help.

Jo

• Thanks 1