Railway & Modelling Obituaries

(Big) Mal Scrimshaw

Simon Lee

• RMweb Premium

I was shocked when I heard the sad news yesterday evening that Malcolm Scrimshaw had passed away yesterday morning.

I had know Malcom for many years in my capacity as part of the exhibition team at Stafford.

Malcolm being a regular visitor for the two days of our exhibition promoting the York Show 

He will be sadly missed by his fellow Hull MRC members as well as the York Show team and the whole model railway community.

RIP Malcolm 

Terry 

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

I was very sad to here that Mal had passed away, I was only talking to Paul Windle at the weekend at the Leeds exhibition on how Mal was getting on.

I have known Mall for at least 35 years and our paths crossed several times a year during normal times at various shows. 

Many evenings spent in hotel bars will be among the fond memories I will share spent at shows all over the country but mainly the hotels at York each Easter. 

As with so many we have lost recently Mall will leave a big hole to fill in the Model Railway world and he will be greatly missed.

On behalf of myself and the members of the Leeds Model Railway Society (CIO) I send my condolences to his family and friends. 

RIP Mal. 

Andy Ross 

Chairman Leeds MRS 

Edited by Trams and Locos
  • Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

This is really very sad news. Like Andy Ross, I was only recently chatting with Paul Windle (at Uckfield) about how Mal was doing.

We only got to know Mal over the last decade or so since we became regulars at the York show but would regularly see him elsewhere on the circuit either exhibiting one of the layouts he was involved in or promoting the York show. He was a great show manager, both at the show and in the bar afterwards and his passing is a great loss to the hobby.

RIP Mal,

Jerry and Kim Clifford 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Such sad news about Mal. My condolences to his family and many friends. 

Like Jerry and Kim, Mo and I only got to know him really well over the last decade. The York Show is (and always was) one of the highlights in the calendar, and it's been a privilege to have been invited to attend, year after year by Mal, and, before that, Mike Cook. Mal ensured that the show continued to always present the very best the hobby had to offer. Ably leading his team, the organisation was always first class and the social event something really worth looking forward to. 

Another good man gone. RIP my friend. 

Tony and Mo Wright. 

• Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Sad to hear about Mal, knew him for many years as WFRM (and predecessors) had a close involvement with Hull for a long time - we shared many a good beer together in some of Hulls finest - and other places around the country,

Cheers Mal, rest in peace.

Edited by beast66606
typo
  • Like 1

Hello

I too am sorry to hear the sad news of the death of Mally Scrimshaw. Another good man sadly gone too soon.

Cheers

George

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

You took over from the legendary Mike Cook and continued his legacy to ensure the show is still one of the best and friendliest on the circuit. Let us hope that as Directors we can continue to maintain the show's qualities in both your memories.

I couldn't get to the funeral service earlier today due to distance but will be drinking a glass later to your memory - RIP Mal, you will be much missed. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5